3. Sulawesi bear cuscus - 5 zoos
  4. Black-footed tree-rat - 2 zoos
  5. Leopard seal - 0 zoos
  6. Australian sea lion - 2 zoos
  7. Grandidier’s vontsira - 2 zoos
  8. South Island takahe - 4 zoos
  9. Superb lyrebird - 4 zoos
  10. Thorny devil - 2 zoos

Gonna get crazy with this one. I cannot for the life of me remember where to find holding numbers online so please do correct me if I'm mistaken with any of these.

Disregarding any realisim and in no particular order:

1. Saiga
2. Hartebeest
3. Golden snub nosed monkey
4. Leopard seal
5. Shoebill
6. Kiwi
7. Ethiopian wolf
8. Sifaka
9. Saola
10. Tibetan antelope

Hypothetical for everyone:

Let's say that tommorow people discover a family of thylacines and work they are actually still alive in small populations. So, they start trying to conserve them in zoos.

If this were to happen how likely would it be that Frontier would add the animal to the game? And if this were the case would you want them to add it since it's a soon to be great conservation story?

The first results are here! :)

The Shoebill and the Saiga lead the wishlist.
Balaeniceps-rex_Claudia-Gray_ZSL_3.jpg

Saiga-tatarica-in-the-wild.jpg

I'm suprised, that the Golden snub-nosed monkey received so few votes, but this is a cute monkey and the second iconic wild animal of China, after the Giant panda.

Here's what I hoped for. The ones from your 'Spoiler: Rare/non-exist animal in captivity wishlist'.
  1. African leopard
  2. Sifaka
  3. Either tree goanna or perentie (one Australian monitor lizard species should do to me)
  4. Golden snub-nosed monkey
  5. Panther chameleon
  6. Shoebill
  7. Huston toad (there were frogs, a newt and a salamander but no toad)
And the ones I don't hope for are the ones that were never in captivity like Ethiopian wolf, indri, leatherback sea turtle and marine iguana. Any questions?

Last edited:
My list:

1. Golden snub nosed monkey
2. Resplendent quetzal
3. Hoatzin
4. Phillipine eagle
5. Kakapo
6. Red shanked douc
7. Thorny devil
8. Superb lyrebird
9. Marine iguana
10. Kiwi

Tons of birdssss

For my list, I decided to go with species kept in no more than 5 zoos globally:
  1. Numbat - 3 zoos
  2. Chuditch - 3 zoos
  3. Sulawesi bear cuscus - 5 zoos
  4. Black-footed tree-rat - 2 zoos
  5. Leopard seal - 0 zoos
  6. Australian sea lion - 2 zoos
  7. Grandidier’s vontsira - 2 zoos
  8. South Island takahe - 4 zoos
  9. Superb lyrebird - 4 zoos
  10. Thorny devil - 2 zoos
which database do you recommend for global statistics? do you have access to private databases?

which database do you recommend for global statistics? do you have access to private databases?
Global statistics basically have to be estimated from various different sources. For Europe there's Zootierliste, easily the best resource, for Australia and New Zealand I use the dedicated zoochat threads and for other parts of the world I use info from both zoochat discussions and just searching "x species in zoo" into google and seeing what comes up. It's not exact (so some species may be kept in a couple more zoos than I realize) but it gets you in the right ballpark.

American crocodile and ocellated turkey are definitely not rare in captivity. The former might be rare in Europe, but has a significant presence in zoo collections throughout the Americas, while the latter, ocellated turkey is comparable to the wild turkey in its number of holdings, even in Europe.

1) Sumatran rhino
2) Shoebill
3) Saiga
4) Tasmanian devil
5) African leopard

Only five for now, but I might add more later, if allowed.
The same is true for Tasmanian Devils and yet they're on your list - just replace 'Europe' with 'internationally' and 'The Americas' with 'Australia'.

Global statistics basically have to be estimated from various different sources. For Europe there's Zootierliste, easily the best resource, for Australia and New Zealand I use the dedicated zoochat threads and for other parts of the world I use info from both zoochat discussions and just searching "x species in zoo" into google and seeing what comes up. It's not exact (so some species may be kept in a couple more zoos than I realize) but it gets you in the right ballpark.
ah i see, i thought you had access to some global database
i'm especially having difficulty finding stats for north and south america
i wish species360 was public...

1. Side-striped Jackal
2. Sumatran Rhino
3. Tibetan Fox
4. Saola
5. Walrus
6. Ethiopian Wolf
7. Any Albatross
8. Shrew Opossum
9. Sulawesi Palm Civet
10. Short-eared Dog

According to the new results, the Shoebill and the Saiga are still in the lead, but there are many newcomers (Red-shanked douc, Hoatzin, Galapagos pink land iguana, ect.), too.

The maximum numbers of animals rose up to 12, so I added to my personal wishlist the Superb lyrebird and the Sumatran rhinoceros. You can also add 2 more animals to your wishlist!

Top Bottom