• golden snub nosed monkey
  • saiga
  • shoebill?
  • numbat
  • thorny devil?
  • perentie?
  • red wolf
  • takahe
i think you should remove kiwi, they are not very rare outside new zealand i think?
they are uncommon but not very rare in zoos
i don't know about america but in europe there are like ten zoos with kiwis
also there is like thirty zoos with muskox in europe and asia alone

maybe someone knowledgeable about worldwide data can give information on global zoo counts for some of the controversial choices like kiwi and tasmanian devil?
maybe we should take recent holdings into consideration too (like last 20-30 years), not just current
i want kiwi, tasmanian devil and aye aye in the game for instance, but i wasn't sure to add them to my list

maybe someone knowledgeable about worldwide data can give information on global zoo counts for some of the controversial choices like kiwi and tasmanian devil?
These are the current holdings for those two I could find (sources included but may not be 100% accurate of course):
North Island Brown Kiwi - 9 North American zoos (mainly via Google search), 7 European zoos, 1 Singaporean zoo, 1 Japanese zoo, 12 New Zealand zoos (around 30 zoos total)
Tasmanian Devil - 4 North American zoos, 5 European zoos, 1 Singaporean zoo, 1 Japanese zoo, 3 New Zealand zoos, 40 Australian zoos (around 54 zoos total)

Last edited:
These are the current holdings for those two I could find (sources included but may not be 100% accurate of course):
North Island Brown Kiwi - 9 North American zoos (mainly via Google search), 7 European zoos, 1 Singaporean zoo, 1 Japanese zoo, 12 New Zealand zoos (around 30 zoos total)
Tasmanian Devil - 4 North American zoos, 5 European zoos, 1 Singaporean zoo, 1 Japanese zoo, 3 New Zealand zoos, 40 Australian zoos (around 54 zoos total)
so about 18 zoos outside native country for kiwi and 14 for tasmanian devil (by the way i must say i'm surprised no australian zoo has kiwi)
i think they are both not rare enough internationally then?

for this wishlist we could maybe have a hard cap of 15 zoos outside native country/state and a soft cap of 10 zoos outside native country/state
so anything between 10 and 15 could be reviewed subjectively and if it is close to 15 and in an increasing trend it could be counted as not rare enough
so in our case kiwi is already over the hard cap
for tasmanian devil its increasing trend in international presence and being very close to 15 could make it not rare enough

but if we choose this route, then we have to do this method for every animal currently on the list for equal treatment
or we could decide on a different cap (a higher one) if it cuts off most already listed animals

(by the way i must say i'm surprised no australian zoo has kiwi)
Yeah, you often hear that kiwis are "rare outside Oceania" on the forum as if they aren't only kept in New Zealand in the region (Taronga Zoo kept them around the turn of the century but not recently). Endemic animals from NZ are still quite rare in Australia, with the paradise shelduck, NZ scaup, tuatara, Fiordland penguin and two species of kakariki being the only species kept here that I know of (no keas somehow). Conversely, while NZ has a proportionally high number of zoos with Tasmanian devils, they are missing other Australian staples like koalas, wombats, red kangaroos and echidnas.

Here is my list:
  1. African Leopard.
  2. Shoebill.
  3. Sumatran Rhinoceros.
  4. Blue Tree Monitor (E).
  5. Albatross.
  6. Philippine Eagle.
  7. California Condor.
  8. South China Tiger.
  9. Kakapo.
  10. Iberian Lynx.
  11. Spix's Macaw.
  12. Ethiopian Wolf.

they are missing other Australian staples like koalas, wombats, red kangaroos and echidnas.
I've always wondered why that is. Eucalyptus grows well in New Zealand (heck, my local zoo has dozens of groves of various eucalyptus trees in the area that used to be their "Australian Bird" section back in the day). I wonder if it comes down to the political beef between our countries (which might also explain why you guys don't have any kiwi anymore).

I've always wondered why that is. Eucalyptus grows well in New Zealand (heck, my local zoo has dozens of groves of various eucalyptus trees in the area that used to be their "Australian Bird" section back in the day). I wonder if it comes down to the political beef between our countries (which might also explain why you guys don't have any kiwi anymore).
Yeah it's strange. Even the three new tuataras that were imported into Australia last year (after the last ones at Taronga passed away) didn't come from New Zealand, they came all the way from Chester Zoo in the UK instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom