Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Someone on Reddit posted this handy guide to which stations produce what commodities:

That's awesome, now we only need a "best sell" chart and happy days.

I loved RGO at the beginning but cannot recommend it. Controls are -tier (yes, I'm on 1.06), NPCs spam you with gazillion of rockets (yes, my ship is upgraded) and missions that are supposed to be mild or easy can randomly be really, really hard. Plus, you can always rely on the unreliable save system, which could save right before you explode. Together with very defensive developers on their discord, it's a hard pass. Refunded.

I loved RGO at the beginning but cannot recommend it. Controls are poopoo-tier (yes, I'm on 1.06), NPCs spam you with gazillion of rockets (yes, my ship is upgraded) and missions that are supposed to be mild or easy can randomly be really, really hard. Plus, you can always rely on the unreliable save system, which could save right before you explode. Together with very defensive developers on their discord, it's a hard pass. Refunded.
That's a bit of a You problem there. They fixed the save game issues, missiles are more in check too, not just spam the players with it.
it took me a while to get the controls right, that was my biggest hurdle. now I love it like I used to Privateer.

I had issues at first - some of the controls are quite hidden on a gamepad. The hints Jenner posted from the dev helped point out what I was missing (especially the map view so you can see your opponents). Think I've got the hang of things now, though I had to look upon t'internet how mining worked.

I got stuck on the 2nd 'story' mission for longer than I should (far easier if you kill the opposition rather than try to outrun them) and was concerned I'd be waiting forever to move that on, but now I'm past it and the story branches out nicely.

The mission ratings do seem a bit arbitrary, and I need to get better at working out when to run, but I've been enjoying it :)

I had issues at first - some of the controls are quite hidden on a gamepad. The hints Jenner posted from the dev helped point out what I was missing (especially the map view so you can see your opponents). Think I've got the hang of things now, though I had to look upon t'internet how mining worked.

I got stuck on the 2nd 'story' mission for longer than I should (far easier if you kill the opposition rather than try to outrun them) and was concerned I'd be waiting forever to move that on, but now I'm past it and the story branches out nicely.

The mission ratings do seem a bit arbitrary, and I need to get better at working out when to run, but I've been enjoying it :)
Really?
I ditched the whole main plot from the get go and went to do my own thing. :D
I'm currently mining in Slaughter for Alien Artifacts. Not that they drop but that's not the point.

Cuz I find it so funny :)

I'd say that's a good balanced review - I continued through the story until the difficulty jump between two missions that (according to the story) are right after each other was too high. I got half way through grinding the ship upgrades so I could have a chance at the mission and got distracted.

I'm sure if you avoid the story and just do random stuff it's fine - nice and stable gameplay, fun enough graphics & voices, but not sure when I'll be back, and I can do 'random stuff' in ED 🤷‍♀️

I'd say that's a good balanced review - I continued through the story until the difficulty jump between two missions that (according to the story) are right after each other was too high. I got half way through grinding the ship upgrades so I could have a chance at the mission and got distracted.

I'm sure if you avoid the story and just do random stuff it's fine - nice and stable gameplay, fun enough graphics & voices, but not sure when I'll be back, and I can do 'random stuff' in ED 🤷‍♀️

Thats me then...I usually drop the story arc instantly after the tutorial and go off doing whatever catches my interest...now I just need to wait out a few more months before I can get my hands on this baby ^^

Thats me then...I usually drop the story arc instantly after the tutorial and go off doing whatever catches my interest...now I just need to wait out a few more months before I can get my hands on this baby ^^
You wait that long? I'm still on the first mission... but about 2-3m credits in.

Is RGO playable with M+KB? From what I've read it seems to be controller only. AFAIK, the official documenation strongly implied that it was designed for controller only.

The early YT vids suggest that it's a good upgrade over RG. However, I don't like controller based games. And some games are basically unplayable on M+KB even if there is a M+KB mode. E.g. Witcher 2 was not really playable on M+KB upon release, only many years later was a mod released that turned it into a real M+KB game.

Is RGO playable with M+KB? From what I've read it seems to be controller only. AFAIK, the official documenation strongly implied that it was designed for controller only.

The early YT vids suggest that it's a good upgrade over RG. However, I don't like controller based games. And some games are basically unplayable on M+KB even if there is a M+KB mode. E.g. Witcher 2 was not really playable on M+KB upon release, only many years later was a mod released that turned it into a real M+KB game.

It works, but no big deal. When you post something asking for some improvement on this in the discord, the answer is standard "The game was made to use gamepad". I tried to set up my Hotas and gave up. And in my opinion the game is very generic / repetitive. The songs are good.

Yes, the devs on the Discord are very defensive and do not like criticism (constructive). The game is very repetitive and shallow. The soundtrack is indeed superb.

I would third that viewpoint. I would suggest that any epic haters waiting for general release have a look round at other games on the market. I doubt many that have it now will still be playing it by that time

I have been playing it successfully with Mouse and Keyboard. I am a fair way into the game I think and have the best combat ship you can buy or that I have found. Have Bountiful Vista etc

I could tell from the trailers that it was likely to be shallow and repetitive.
That's not necessarily a problem in a game like this. First Rebel Galaxy was also repetitive and when you looked closer, relatively shallow in game mechanics. But it was also immensely fun with a great FireFly-like atmosphere, funny characters and a great combat system based of an age of sail broadsiding battles of the ships of the line. It was a great game.
I am still looking forward to RGO (once it's off the Epic store), but I do see some problems that might cause this formula to not work. Their switching to small ships instead of the capital ships means that the combat will now be compared to Elite. And frankly, nothing can beat Elite's combat model and flight mechanics. Also the dumbing down of the controls and their primary focus on console controllers is a bad decision, in my eyes and will hurt the combat further.

That being said, I think (from what I've seen) the game retains its great "wild west in space" feel, it improved on economics and trading and has other things that could make it fun for me.

I just wish they'd have kept the old game mechanics and only made the Outlaw "bigger and better".

That's not necessarily a problem in a game like this. First Rebel Galaxy was also repetitive and when you looked closer, relatively shallow in game mechanics. But it was also immensely fun with a great FireFly-like atmosphere, funny characters and a great combat system based of an age of sail broadsiding battles of the ships of the line. It was a great game.
I am still looking forward to RGO (once it's off the Epic store), but I do see some problems that might cause this formula to not work. Their switching to small ships instead of the capital ships means that the combat will now be compared to Elite. And frankly, nothing can beat Elite's combat model and flight mechanics. Also the dumbing down of the controls and their primary focus on console controllers is a bad decision, in my eyes and will hurt the combat further.

That being said, I think (from what I've seen) the game retains its great "wild west in space" feel, it improved on economics and trading and has other things that could make it fun for me.

I just wish they'd have kept the old game mechanics and only made the Outlaw "bigger and better".
Originally they tried to pitch a new X-Wing to Disney, with this, but they didn't make it if I recall correctly. So they made their own Privateer homeage. That's what RGO really is, not a sequel/prequel to Rebel Galaxy. And as such, looks nice, but Privateer was 23 years ago :)

Yes, the devs on the Discord are very defensive and do not like criticism (constructive). The game is very repetitive and shallow. The soundtrack is indeed superb.
Well, it's a direct homage to old Privateer and Wing Commander and those games where repetitive as hell.

• Bounty missions
  • Military mission
  • Courier mission
  • Trade stuff
  • Main plot

So it does the job it's supposed to - except being locked to the Epic store for a year.

Top Bottom