Rename the game genre to "Bug Simulator"!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Who is this "we"?
Someone who wrote this doom thread for his first post a few years ago. It's a classic!

Someone who wrote this doom thread for his first post a few years ago. It's a classic!
Damn, looks like I fed the troll :(

1675682184652.png

Attachments

• 1675682102633.png
    1675682102633.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 20
Feeding the troll appear to be perfectly acceptable - taking the mickey, not ;)

I've always found it curious that the players who play, and enjoy playing, this game, are the ones more often than not criticised, or have the mickey taken of, while the trolls just continue as normal.

Never mind though, it isn't important - I'm off looking to find a Basilisk to try to kill in my Type 10 AX ship. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Please explain what do you mean on the site where your "wonderful" game is sold, recommended requirements? In my opinion, this means that I can play at ultra-high settings and I will have at least 60 frames per second everywhere.

Where did you get that opinion shaped up?

Things vary a lot, but usually Ultra settings are for hardware way above the recommended hardware requirements.
Recommended requirements are usually for Medium or High settings at best, and not everyone aims for 60fps at recommended settings.
Some still say 30fps is enough and Mr. Braben, being the old school guy that given us the first incarnations of Elite, might still consider 30fps the minimum

So if the recommended settings are for 1080p, High, 30 fps - they definitely can match that.

Things vary a lot, but usually Ultra settings are for hardware way above the recommended hardware requirements.
Ultra is very demanding in comparison to low or high. (I wonder if CP2077 can be played at its highest settings on a minimum spec PC, or even Star Citizen?)
I can run EDO in Ultra 4K at greater than 60 FPS, but mine isn't a minimum spec PC.

I wonder if CP2077 can be played at its highest settings on a minimum spec PC, or even Star Citizen?)
IIRC, CP2077 does not get 60fps on recommended specs using the Ultra Preset at 1080p, at least from the results i was able to find online which i have no idea how old they are either.
Anyway, assuming Ultra settings will deliver 60fps on recommended specs is a bit naive... or ill-intentioned

Ultra is very demanding in comparison to low or high

Definitely, i like to keep my laptop on Ultra too (1080p) and i run with 60fps caps cause it makes my laptop run cooler.
But then again, it's way better than the recommended specs.

I can even dual log on ultra settings without a noticeable performance loss, however logging in the 3rd account will drop the FPS under 20 - guess that warning regarding Ultra Shadows requiring 8GB vram are quite accurate (my GFX has 16gb vram) 😂

Where did you get that opinion shaped up?

Recommended requirements are usually for Medium or High settings at best, and not everyone aims for 60fps at recommended settings.
Some still say 30fps is enough and Mr. Braben, being the old school guy that given us the first incarnations of Elite, might still consider 30fps the minimum

So if the recommended settings are for 1080p, High, 30 fps - they definitely can match that.
Lol, just to stir the waters a little. I got fed up with the performance of Odyssey on my old hardware i7-2600k / 16GB / 1660Ti / 1080p @ 60Hz, so am now rocking an i9-12900k / 64GB of DDR-5 PC-5600 RAM / 4090 with a brand new 48" LG OLED monitor. I am running it at 5760x3240/60Hz with DLDSR scaling from the Nvidia driver. The game has never been this smooth and looked this good. Apart from a few bugs that annoy me, I couldn't be happier with how the game looks and performs.

Lol, just to stir the waters a little. I got fed up with the performance of Odyssey on my old hardware i7-2600k / 16GB / 1660Ti / 1080p @ 60Hz, so am now rocking an i9-12900k / 64GB of DDR-5 PC-5600 RAM / 4090 with a brand new 48" LG OLED monitor. I am running it at 5760x3240/60Hz with DLDSR scaling from the Nvidia driver. The game has never been this smooth and looked this good. Apart from a few bugs that annoy me, I couldn't be happier with how the game looks and performs.
Your PC isn't quite minimum spec either...
But, we are the fortunate ones and have kept up with high-spec gaming PCs. Others are not so fortunate and are trying to run games on PCs that may well be as old as the game, with the expected result.

Your PC isn't quite minimum spec either...
But, we are the fortunate ones and have kept up with high-spec gaming PCs. Others are not so fortunate and are trying to run games on PCs that may well be as old as the game, with the expected result.
Either way, 60+ FPS in high ground CZs on max settings and everything really starts to make sense. Not quite sure that there should be such a big gap between recommended and maximum as there apparently is, but there we go. Not up to me.

Better than it was at least and this was for a 2021 update to a game, so not having high performance requirements for max settings would be a disappointment.

Damn, looks like I fed the troll :(

View attachment 344502
As usual, everything slides into absurdity. The developers are killing the game, and you are all shouting "Come on! more bugs! break the game more!". All the tickets that are open are of no use to anyone... And when you tell the truth, you are a troll. Strange logic. The forum has turned into a theater of the absurd .... Instead of voicing problems and demanding their solution, we are all silent ... And when they are voiced, then you are immediately a troll ... we continue to sit on the game, which every day is getting worse and worse , with a long description of the fix problems that no one has fixed and with the feeling that someone somewhere deceived us ....

Good luck. Only whiners and trolls gathered here. I see no reason to write further. Community ED is very toxic. Get what you deserve.

As usual, everything slides into absurdity. The developers are killing the game, and you are all shouting "Come on! more bugs! break the game more!". All the tickets that are open are of no use to anyone... And when you tell the truth, you are a troll. Strange logic. The forum has turned into a theater of the absurd .... Instead of voicing problems and demanding their solution, we are all silent ... And when they are voiced, then you are immediately a troll ... we continue to sit on the game, which every day is getting worse and worse , with a long description of the fix problems that no one has fixed and with the feeling that someone somewhere deceived us ....

Good luck. Only whiners and trolls gathered here. I see no reason to write further. Community ED is very toxic. Get what you deserve.
You're right, it has slid into absurdity when your argument is that the people who created the game in the first place are also killing it, and apparently the players are cheering on everything wrong with the game because of....reasons, and not taking up pitchforks and torches and flinging around insults or calling out individual community managers is somehow a brand of heroism.

Off with you then.

Okay... the new ticket system they've been using for the last 2-3 years (I think that's the right time period) is atrocious; the old system was better. The new one will close out your ticket, even if you've included verifiable proof of the issue, unless other people vote on it and confirm the issue... even then, that isn't enough. So yeah... the support system for reporting bugs is not great.

But the Devs are actively trying to kill the game? Uh, in what Bizarro world does that make sense? If the game is no longer profitable for the company, the company may decide to shut it down, but even they wouldn't decide to purposefully make it bad (exception: if this were some company that could suddenly boost it's quarterly profits so all the investors could cash out, though I can't see how that would apply here). If the Devs purposefully make the game bad, they're going to be reassigned to another project or (more likely) out of a job.

I think what you're trying to argue is they're inept. I don't buy that either. There may be problems with the system they've built, which then contributes to new bugs popping up when they try to add new features to the code, but it isn't completely broken. If you want an example of a truly broken game, you need to go back twenty years to Earth and Beyond. That was a game the promised weekly or monthly content updates, yet only had ONE major content update in the entire life of the game. Rumor has it the big problem with that MMO was that the developers had coded that game at a low level, using .ini files, and not building development suite first to allow them to modify the game. Hence, everytime they needed to fix something, it took forever because they hand to manually track down the code and fix the problem. I could provide more evidence of the horror I saw with that game, but it's really off topic.

FDev does have issues - they've gotten better at communication, but it always feels like there is some middle management slowing things down - e.g. the left hand doesn't knwo what the right hand is doing, so it takes several days for them to confirm the AX bounty reduction was intended and not a bug. That said, they genuinely seem to want to make the game better and reach out for feedback.

If you are unhappy, you can always leave. I don't say that snarkily, but sincerely. Sometimes I get fed up waiting for certain fixes/changes, and I go play something else (No Man's Sky, Cyberpunk 2077 (surprise, it's actually GOOD now), etc.). When Starfield comes out, and is thoroughly patched/fixed (it is a Bethesda game), I'll probably be spending a LOT of time there and less on Elite... but I'll still be coming back to Elite. Why don't you go do the same?

To everyone else reading this: Yes, I may have just done the "feeding the troll" bit. I don't usually chime in on these threads, but felt it was time to do it for once. This game has continued to improve over time. Yes, it has had some major fumbles, but the Devs always seem to be doing their best to try and fix the issues. So I support them... but not their "new" Issue tracker system. THAT should be trashed and replaced with something decent.

2. Everything is broken in the game!
3. Broken Carriers!
I just landed my ship on my fleet carrier after playing ED for a couple hours.

I am quite certain that:

(a) Everyrthing in the game is not broken.

(b) Fleet Carriers are not broken.

(c) The OP is a Troll looking for much desired attention.

Eagle MkII Mosquito landed on The Red Ruby at Skaudao QB-Y b20-8 in the Norma Expanse region. Monday Feb 6, 9:03pm UTC.
Landed on Fleet Carrier.png

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom