Report issues using the Issue Tracker

Greetings Commanders!

We are now excited to launch our new Issue Tracker! The Issue Tracker replaces our Bug Reporting forums and can be accessed here:

https://issues.frontierstore.net/

To report a bug simply log in with your regular Frontier account and click 'Submit Report'. You'll then be given all the steps you need to let us know about any issues you have experienced.

On this site you can:
  • Submit issues
  • Follow the status of your reports
  • See which issues have been reported by others
  • Vote on which issues matter most to you
  • Search for specific reports
  • Help contribute towards existing issues
With the launch of our new Issue Tracker the Bug Reporting forums will now be archived and all reports will now use the Issue Tracker.

Thank you for all your support so far and for helping raise awareness of the issues that are affecting your gameplay!
This is a great way to get player input and feedback.
Two suggestions:
  1. Use this type system for the Suggestions Forum threads and Focused Feedback (make a long list of topics and let the community vote one to the top/next status)
  2. Make this tool faster- show more items in the default list and allow users to sort on various meta-data for topics that interest them (less important it be friendly to a mobile phone since Elite isn't playable on mobile devices, for one thing). The page refreshes are pretty slow and not much is displayed per page.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
@Bruce G @Zac Cocken can I ask about any news on improvements to the issue tracker please? Is it still on track? Any indication on how it's going to be improved? And most importantly - any ETA? :)

Cheers! o7

@Bruce G @Zac Cocken can I ask about any news on improvements to the issue tracker please? Is it still on track? Any indication on how it's going to be improved? And most importantly - any ETA? :)

Cheers! o7
I reported 11 issues all together. Some are still present in the game and they have all expired because 10 other commanders failed to confirm them. Why do we need 10? This system is broken, I found legitimate issues and every one of them was ignored.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I reported 11 issues all together. Some are still present in the game and they have all expired because 10 other commanders failed to confirm them. Why do we need 10? This system is broken, I found legitimate issues and every one of them was ignored.
That's the thing though - we don't really know. They might have seen them and logged them on an internal tracker, yet never got round to fixing them.

For us it does look like they were just ignored... :(

I believe the idea behind the 10 is that if an issue was so rare or of such a low impact that it couldn‘t gain 10 confirmations then it wouldn’t be a good use of resources to fix it.
So I don’t think that bit of the system is broken but obviously anyone with an unconfirmed issue will think it is I’ll concieved.

I have a bug that shows up occasionally at some planetary bases that unfortunately was raised by someone else and expired before I was effected by it often enough to report. It hasn’t hit me in a couple of weeks but next time it does I will raise my own ticket and link the expired report as confirmation.

It is the one where the hanger visuals and mechanics models aren’t the same, where the walls get smeared looking and there is an opaque curtain to walk through to get to the lifts.

I believe the idea behind the 10 is that if an issue was so rare or of such a low impact that it couldn‘t gain 10 confirmations then it wouldn’t be a good use of resources to fix it.
So I don’t think that bit of the system is broken but obviously anyone with an unconfirmed issue will think it is I’ll concieved.

I have a bug that shows up occasionally at some planetary bases that unfortunately was raised by someone else and expired before I was effected by it often enough to report. It hasn’t hit me in a couple of weeks but next time it does I will raise my own ticket and link the expired report as confirmation.

It is the one where the hanger visuals and mechanics models aren’t the same, where the walls get smeared looking and there is an opaque curtain to walk through to get to the lifts.

Problem is the popularity system requires people actively using the issue tracker rather than just getting miffed with bugs and quitting the game.

I strongly feel that it should be up to FD to go through every single bug report, merge where needed, close where needed, and prioritize bugs based on severity. Confirmations can remain, but simply there to provide additional info and gain an idea of how widespread the issue is. No issue should ever be closed until its confirmed fixed or agreed it will never be resolved.

I've worked helldesk for several companies and managed a number of them in my long career. I can't imagine telling customers we wouldn't look at an issue unless 9 other people confirmed it. It would have gotten me fired, not to mention all the complaints i would have had to listen to.

Its like so many items Fdev do the idea is great but the FULL implementation tends to be 50% oe less . Every bug should be looked at , then a response given . Yes we see its an issue and working on a fix (no timelines ) , or sorry we can you give us more info please . If i send screenshots of the issue then its a bug it may not be a gamebreaking one but its there .
To go through the rigmarole of getting all the info to be told sorry we arent looking into this because its just you ?
I gave up in the end and dont use it . And i think Fdev will look at that as working as intended

Honestly I don't care how rare issue is, if I spend my private time writing an almost professional QA level issue report I want it flagged as:
"Not fix", or at worst "as intended" instead of expired.

I am a player I go to the issue tracker with my good will and best intents, and I get spit upon because 10 other people didn't confirm it, if I got ARX for confirming issues I would, but no player gets paid for confirming those issues! Thats Frontiers job.

I can understand you excitement getting all of this free labour from your clients but, can you at least boot the game and play it for a couple of hours before releasing the new batch of bugs? I am an Horizons client and i have completely assumed that is abandoned at this time. I will get Odyssey when you force me to cause i love the game and even a downgraded milky way 1:1 is still an amazing achievement.

Anyway here is my free labour for you: the bug that haunted me for hundreds of hours a few years back is here again. Fist time after loading the game the game gets stuck when accessing the system map. The way around is exiting to menu and log in again. A.K.A. the Frontier loop. After the first time the bug occurs rarely at random.

not sure this is a bug it the first time a have notcie it. when you are in starport services the balance is different from the balance on the right hand panel .ie starport services is 48 million and on the right hand panel balence say i hve 39 million am on xbox

Problem is the popularity system requires people actively using the issue tracker rather than just getting miffed with bugs and quitting the game.

I strongly feel that it should be up to FD to go through every single bug report, merge where needed, close where needed, and prioritize bugs based on severity. Confirmations can remain, but simply there to provide additional info and gain an idea of how widespread the issue is. No issue should ever be closed until its confirmed fixed or agreed it will never be resolved.

I've worked helldesk for several companies and managed a number of them in my long career. I can't imagine telling customers we wouldn't look at an issue unless 9 other people confirmed it. It would have gotten me fired, not to mention all the complaints i would have had to listen to.
If you got what you're asking for, FDev would be too busy chasing every little issue (and player misunderstanding, in many cases) to actually fix anything impactful. The system is designed to help triage the reports, because there will inevitably be reports that are actually user error, reports that are poorly described or too specific to one instance to actually help them find the real problem, etc.

They're not saying they won't look at an issue - they're saying they have more pressing issues that are affecting a lot more people (as evidenced by the fact that more people had the patience to report it, and to do so correctly instead of spamming the tracker with duplicate reports and vague complaints).

If you got what you're asking for, FDev would be too busy chasing every little issue (and player misunderstanding, in many cases) to actually fix anything impactful. The system is designed to help triage the reports, because there will inevitably be reports that are actually user error, reports that are poorly described or too specific to one instance to actually help them find the real problem, etc.

They're not saying they won't look at an issue - they're saying they have more pressing issues that are affecting a lot more people (as evidenced by the fact that more people had the patience to report it, and to do so correctly instead of spamming the tracker with duplicate reports and vague complaints).

Not true at all. As I said, i've worked plenty of helldesks, both big and small, and managed them. With a good system and a decent search capability you can cross reference issues and check for duplicates for things the devs are already aware of, merge the reports or cross link them. I'm sure the daily load on support dealing with tickets is way higher than what would be spent on categorizing new issues.

We had tools for doing this sort of stuff easily decades ago. We had vendors all the time trying to sell us their new efficient systems for handling incidents and bug reports, and somehow we handled it.

I'm not buying they would be too busy. Let's say 1 person an hour a day to go through the new issues. I don't think that's unreasonable. Probably more than required.

Then the devs would get a much better picture of what issues exist and which might be best dealt with first, rather than the selection that are presented to them through the popularity contest.

Of course, they have their own view on things as well, and for sure some bugs will get fixed without being upvoted, but i'm also sure that a lot are not getting the visibility they deserve, and those long standing bugs that never get dealt with or those that don't affect many and so don't get the votes, despite being opened repeatedly, but then automatically closed due to lack of votes, are going to cause people to walk away from the game.

A bug report should never be closed until its confirmed that it is fixed or gets filed under "won't be fixed" and if it is the latter, then people need to be told it won't be fixed, and ideally, whatever is causing the bug disabled/removed unless its an edge case.

Imagine for a moment, there is a bug that affects the enjoyment of your game. But its not a common one, most people aren't even affected by it. But it happens to you frequently, and a few other people you've talked to. You open an issue. Time passes, not enough votes, and its closed. So you open it again, and time passes again, not enough votes, its closed again. Sooner or later you're going to say "forget this for a game of soldiers" and either stop doing that activity you want to do (assuming its something you can stop doing), which reduces your enjoyment of the game, or you're just going to quit.

At least if it remains open, and is checked, devs can put an "acknowledged" state on it, and while it may take a long time to get fixed, because its low priority, you know the devs are aware.

Not true at all. As I said, i've worked plenty of helldesks, both big and small, and managed them. With a good system and a decent search capability you can cross reference issues and check for duplicates for things the devs are already aware of, merge the reports or cross link them. I'm sure the daily load on support dealing with tickets is way higher than what would be spent on categorizing new issues.

We had tools for doing this sort of stuff easily decades ago. We had vendors all the time trying to sell us their new efficient systems for handling incidents and bug reports, and somehow we handled it.

I'm not buying they would be too busy. Let's say 1 person an hour a day to go through the new issues. I don't think that's unreasonable. Probably more than required.
That additional checking and cross linking is literally the extra time I was referring to - it's a finite amount of time greater than zero, therefore it would add to their workload. That will either require more time, or an acceptance of lower quality output.

If the reports were being submitted by professional clients, perhaps they'd be more organized and thought out, and therefore more trivial to sort through. But they're being submitted by gamers of all ages, with varying levels of understanding about how it works and how it is supposed to work, among many other factors. I get that you don't want to hear that your solution is not a solution, but rejecting reality won't change it

Then the devs would get a much better picture of what issues exist and which might be best dealt with first, rather than the selection that are presented to them through the popularity contest.
The bugs with the most widespread effect on the playerbase should be dealt with first, and those issues are easier to identify because they're more likely to be reported by more people - the "popularity contest" isn't skewing the results; it is the results. Issues that only affect a handful of people are more likely to be user error or misunderstanding than an actual bug, so diverting attention away from the actual bugs in order to try (and likely fail, because they'll still insist it's a bug) to show a small number of players how they're doing it wrong would result in a much larger number of disappointed players. Someone will always be upset - better to let it be the smaller group.
Imagine for a moment, there is a bug that affects the enjoyment of your game. But its not a common one, most people aren't even affected by it. But it happens to you frequently, and a few other people you've talked to. You open an issue. Time passes, not enough votes, and its closed. So you open it again, and time passes again, not enough votes, its closed again. Sooner or later you're going to say "forget this for a game of soldiers" and either stop doing that activity you want to do (assuming its something you can stop doing), which reduces your enjoyment of the game, or you're just going to quit.
If it's not a widespread issue, it probably warrants opening a support ticket instead. But if I did open an issue, and it didn't get enough votes, I would do what I could to find other players who do have the issue, in order to get enough votes. And if that fails, then odds are it's not actually an issue with the game, but with my expectations.

Regardless, I wouldn't keep spamming the issue tracker with issues if I know they're not going to be addressed - that amounts to throwing a tantrum and trying to prevent other issues from being addressed because if you can't get help, no one can.

Regardless, I wouldn't keep spamming the issue tracker with issues if I know they're not going to be addressed - that amounts to throwing a tantrum and trying to prevent other issues from being addressed because if you can't get help, no one can.

As a user of a product that is exactly what I would do. And its throwing a tantrum. Its about getting your issues with a product resolved.

There are 2 ways to get an issue to the attention of the devs with ED.

1) Issue tracker
2) Tickets

Tickets won't usually go to the devs, because they are dealt with by support. But support, if they keep getting hit with tickets for the same issue over and over again, whether formally through meetings or other mechanics or informally through grabbing a dev's ear over lunch, will be asking when something is going to be fixed.

Again, i've worked helpdesk. I've done exactly that. Bugs not getting fixed, but me and my team every day resolving (or being unable to resolve) tickets. And eventually you formally or informally start putting pressure on the devs to do something about it.

You talked about additional time for support to go through new issues. More time wasted if you're getting tickets for bugs that could be fixed that you're having to deal with.

Top Bottom