Report issues using the Issue Tracker

its a sad state of affairs when you look at what bugs are on the issue tracker, also 2% of players fly a dolphin of which 2.8% come on the forums soooooo....
0.0000002% chance of getting this solved. (im making figures up but its not far from the truth, if this were an anaconda issue i wouldn't be here)
it took forever to get frontier to acknowledge it the first time :(

Speaking of Dolphins, the Saud Kruger line of ships are particularly vulnerable to the corrupt shadow bug (aka "Elephant Butt Leather" aka "Flashing Disco Shadows") that has plagued me for over a year. Like your bug, it has been confirmed by Frontier multiple times. The fact it hasn't been fixed yet makes me doubt a fancy new bug report website will change anything.

I worry that this new site might be psychological equivalent to the Focused Feedback experiment - it exists to make us feel better, especially if our bugs become "popular". I doubt it'll do anything to actually get things fixed in the game any differently than the old method. It just feels like more work for us, because now not only do we have to submit bugs, but we have to run for "Homecoming Bug King / Queen" if we want it confirmed and voted on by the masses.

ps - I'm not even bothering with the site until the next update. Who knows what they've fixed and what they haven't in the last 4 months since 3.3 dropped?

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, the mentioned Page produces nothing but a white, blank Page with Firefox (?)

Only 39% of the page (measured vertically) is actually content relating to bug tracking for the game in question (Elite Dangerous). This is truly ridiculous, and when compared to other bug trackers of games that I follow, goes to show how unfriendly it is to use.

The vote system is designed to let you highlight what's most important to you, not determine what gets fixed and what doesn't. Reports will still be reviewed, the votes just help us if we need to prioritize.

I'm just curious why the number of votes is limited to 4. It's not as though pretty major game breaking bugs are uncommon in Elite, what was the thought process behind limiting it to such a small number per user?

5 reports on a page! I mean, how user friendly is this supposed to be? Please, please, look at a way of making the view more compact. If I am looking at the bugs for a game I don't need half the screen (including scrolling) to be taken up by huge banners.

If you want people to engage properly with this then they have to want to use it.

Agreed, there's more banners and banner space than listed bugs.

Last edited:
Please make the issue tracker display more than 5 results per page as well as remember what page you were on when using the go back one page feature of most browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc). Clicking on an issue on page X of Y total pages where X is not within the first or last 3 pages of the Y total pages (such as page 55 of 100) results in excessive page reloads which in turn puts strain on the server, increasing load times, which will limit the amount of users who will put up with the system long enough to vote or confirm issues.

I've had a look through the list now that more options are populated and it looks like a handy resource. I can browse the confirmed ones & vote without needing to add any details myself (low effort, nice ;)), add evidence to unconfirmed ones or if I cannot find one I have in mind, add it to the list.

Provided the duplication is kept in check (without merging potentially different issues that have similar descriptions) and the list of reported bugs doesn't grow to unmanageable proportions I can see this being a much more useful way for players to contribute even if they don't want to (ie can't be bothered) to create a new one themselves.

Looks good, I agree with the many other suggestions to allow the space to be more effectively used on a desktop browser.

After using it for two days I can only say it seems more friendly than using forums to report bugs. But - still unfortunately it would be the most unfriendly bug reporting tool I was working with (used around a dozen of them through my IT career). Just to be clear:
  • process is over simplified
  • lack of details that were present in forum bugtracking (for example VR/non-VR)
  • why would we need gigantic mobile view and font when most bugs would be reported using PC or other big screens
  • not possible to customise view anyhow (5 bugs per page is ridiculus)
  • no possibility to downvote unprofessional reports
  • no possibility to sort by popularity unconfirmed reports
  • 4 votes is a little bit strange with this amount of bugs
  • entering your specs every time you report a bug is unnecessary
  • not possible to edit anything that was posted
  • zero stats on number of votes, number of comments
  • no way to say that you can reproduce without 30 letters of repeating what was said before and then giving steps to reproduce which is again repeating what was said before
  • some elements can not be opened in new tab which is a shame when opening something and then getting back to previous page will reset your view and forget on what page you were before
  • no possibility to filter out for example only PC bugs
  • there is propably more I could complain but this would be enough for now
  • overall feel is like using Bug Tracker for children...

Last edited:
Thank God! There's at least one loon in this forum who insists any bug I post is because my hardware is faulty, despite all my various proofs to the contrary, along with Frontier's own acknowledgement that said bugs exist. The last thing I want is to give him and any other nut job the power to downvote bugs they don't believe exist just because they don't experience them on very different platforms.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
After using it for two days I can only say it seems more friendly than using forums to report bugs. But - still unfortunately it would be the most unfriendly bug reporting tool I was working with (used around a dozen of them through my IT career). Just to be clear:
  • process is over simplified
  • lack of details that were present in forum bugtracking (for example VR/non-VR)
  • why would we need gigantic mobile view and font when most bugs would be reported using PC or other big screens
  • not possible to customise view anyhow (5 bugs per page is ridiculus)
  • no possibility to sort by popularity unconfirmed reports
  • 4 votes is a little bit strange with this amount of bugs
  • entering your specs every time you report a bug is unnecessary
  • not possible to edit anything that was posted
  • zero stats on number of votes, number of comments
  • no way to say that you can reproduce without 30 letters of repeating what was said before and then giving steps to reproduce which is again repeating what was said before
  • some elements can not be opened in new tab which is a shame when opening something and then getting back to previous page will reset your view and forget on what page you were before
  • no possibility to filter out for example only PC bugs
  • there is propably more I could complain but this would be enough for now
  • overall feel is like using Bug Tracker for children...

Completely nailed it! I just bet that QA are glad they don't have to use this!

Here's another one for you. Why, when I've chosen PC, is the Platform Type a required field, when the only option is PC?
L4h4ZkN.jpg

Thank God! There's at least one loon in this forum who insists any bug I post is because my hardware is faulty, despite all my various proofs to the contrary, along with Frontier's own acknowledgement that said bugs exist. The last thing I want is to give him and any other nut job the power to downvote bugs they don't believe exist just because they don't experience them on very different platforms.

Well thats why you would only have one downvote same as one vote. If there is some loon that downvotes everything it wouldn't do much difference...

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It would be nice if you could add screenshots consecutively to a report please.
At the moment if you drag and drop a screenshot it uploads it, but then when you drag a second it overwrites the first. The only way to get multiple files attached is to highlight them all and drag them at once.

Deleted member 38366

D
Managed to log into that Bug Reporting System using vanilla (and unsafely default-configured) Internet Explorer yikes.

From the usability and visual side, seems it's made and optimized for heavily vision-impaired persons (?)
It's terrible, offers no overview, the sorting seems non-functional (it does something but the results don't remotely match it), search Strings are apparently entirely ignored.

I only wanted to enter to see if I could cast my 4 Votes on specific issues.
Guess what, no chance to even find them.

How it's possible for someone to design a full-page Screen that only shows 5 arbitrary entries is beyond me.
If I had to rate it, I'd score it as "almost unusable".

That's one textbook example how >not< to design a UI.
90% of display space is wasted for absolutely no sane reason while offering virtually no Information and being a nightmare on accessibility.
I definitely won't be using this, especially since it doesn't even do a thing in a common Browser.

The old Bug Reporting Format in the old Forum might not have been the most perfect System - but at least it worked, provided quick and comprehensive overview and inherited the Accessibility of the Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom