Researching the broken pulse wave for mining. (PC)

Greetings fellow commanders!
As currently known the pulse scanner seems to be broken and scans rocks behind the ship yet for others it still works.
The current theory that some people and myself have is that the pulse scanner is broken due to graphics, depending on which graphic settings you have it works.

Out of personal findings the pulse scanner does not work as intended for me while using the ultra settings for my graphics, but does work better when I lower to high graphics settings.
My fellow commanders (so far 4 others) have confirmed that they use high graphics or when lowered to high or lower graphic settings the pulse scanner works as intended.
With this post I would like to gather more informations.

1. Core mining with pulse wave scanner
  2. Which grade of pulse wave is being used A-B-C-D...
  3. Which graphics setting being used
  4. confirmation of users using ULTRA settings that once lowering graphics the pulse wave works.
Many thanks for your co-operation in trying to confirm this theory.
Commander "Malekir"

ps. I know Fdev is aware of the issue, the point of the thread is not to confirm the issue, it is to confirm if lowering graphics works or not. I do appreciate the positive feedback so far/

Last edited:
Greetings fellow commanders!
As currently known the pulse scanner seems to be broken and scans rocks behind the ship yet for others it still works.
The current theory that some people and myself have is that the pulse scanner is broken due to graphics, depending on which graphic settings you have it works.

Out of personal findings the pulse scanner does not work as intended for me while using the ultra settings for my graphics, but does work better when I lower to high graphics settings.
My fellow commanders (so far 4 others) have confirmed that they use high graphics or when lowered to high or lower graphic settings the pulse scanner works as intended.
With this post I would like to gather more informations.

1. Core mining with pulse wave scanner
  2. Which grade of pulse wave is being used A-B-C-D...
  3. Which graphics setting being used
  4. confirmation of users using ULTRA settings that once lowering graphics the pulse wave works.
Many thanks for your co-operation in trying to confirm this theory.
Commander "Malekir"
Interesting !

I just used a class A Pulse and tried every setting from Ultra to Low, with and without restarting the game, and never saw any difference. The only time I would see lit up rocks is when I pulsed and then did a 180...

Hello!

Just want to contribute telling that frontier knows exactly how to fix it and what issue are happening cause they screwed the PWS on a update, so they just need to revert what ever change they have made.

This is an interesting take. I'm supposed to be working on my vid, but anything to take a break and try a little VO mining lol. I'll load up my Keelback Penetrating Innuendo and give it a try. :)

Initial thoughts:
@Malekir might be on to something here.

I've only been in the mining instance for about half an hour, and using my Custom graphics settings (Ultra with High shadows, basically) I was needing to fly the same S-pattern I have been using in the past few weeks.
Switching to 'Ultra' offered no change - no real surprise there.
Switching graphics to 'High' and WHAMMO - VO cores right in front of me.

Now - be mindful that one example does not a conclusion make, and also I'm pretty sure it is not the SHIP that needs to turn, it is your viewpoint. A smaller 45 degree turn and turning your head to look back has the same effect of looking around.
In fact, I found that after a pule if I look straight up then snap-back to forward view, the PWA signal was clear.

I'll keep mining and get a bellyful of opals. I'll let you know.

No offense to OP but IDGAF about the "tricks" I don't want to alter settings, I don't want to fly backwards and I don't want to turn around all the time. Yes I get bugs will always be in a game but I've paid for a working game and I demand a properly functioning PWA. FDEV have by now proved they are extremely well capable of ""fixing"" things within 5 minutes. Whether you call that fixing nerf hammering or not: they can do it.

No offense to OP but IDGAF about the "tricks" I don't want to alter settings, I don't want to fly backwards and I don't want to turn around all the time. Yes I get bugs will always be in a game but I've paid for a working game and I demand a properly functioning PWA. FDEV have by now proved they are extremely well capable of ""fixing"" things within 5 minutes. Whether you call that fixing nerf hammering or not: they can do it.
Cool - while you're waiting, I'll be mining. (shrug)

I went laser and core mining for the first time in months again yesterday. Everything was as I remember it, and I was quickly picking out VO cores. The pulse scanner does have a narrow FOV so headlook is used a lot, as is drifting perpendicular to what you are looking in FA off - I find cores are much easier to pick out this way as they give a sort of black edged pixelated look that almost turns the asteroid entirely black when doing the drift fast. So I'm not sure if the PWS is broken, or you just haven't gotten the knack of it yet.

I went laser and core mining for the first time in months again yesterday. Everything was as I remember it, and I was quickly picking out VO cores. The pulse scanner does have a narrow FOV so headlook is used a lot, as is drifting perpendicular to what you are looking in FA off - I find cores are much easier to pick out this way as they give a sort of black edged pixelated look that almost turns the asteroid entirely black when doing the drift fast. So I'm not sure if the PWS is broken, or you just haven't gotten the knack of it yet.

Its freaking broken. Unless it was intended to show only rocks behind and to the sides for the previous 2 years and was only recently fixed.

Good lord. I used to see surface, subsurface and cores with ease moving towards a target. Now you have pull a Crazy-Ivan constantly to find highlighted rocks with any consistency.

Not sure if there is any hardware or platform dependency to run into it but they broke it in fall and it was obvious when it occurred.

Update:

Despite my earlier hopefulness, it turns out I was just in a fairly rich area. A Keelback's 68 ton capacity fills up pretty quick and I've had to return to drop off and restock. I don't really see any change to the S-turn by changing the graphics.

However, I have noticed that by lifting my viewpoint to vertical - IOW looking straight up - when I pulse, it shows the forward signals. Next pass, I'll try it exlusively to see if there's any difference.

Update:

Despite my earlier hopefulness, it turns out I was just in a fairly rich area. A Keelback's 68 ton capacity fills up pretty quick and I've had to return to drop off and restock. I don't really see any change to the S-turn by changing the graphics.

However, I have noticed that by lifting my viewpoint to vertical - IOW looking straight up - when I pulse, it shows the forward signals. Next pass, I'll try it exlusively to see if there's any difference.
thanks for your feedback! :D

OK - after trying a variety of graphics settings and different approaches, I can confirm that at least on my PC, there is no change to the PWA's readings. They still appear behind the ship and one has to S-turn to find targets.
That said, while pulsing with the External Camera on pointed down at the nose, it was fairly easy to identify target rocks to hit as they pass the beam of my ship. I'd simply close the camera, turn and probe that rock. Works reasonably well; not TOO much more tedious than normal operation. I was still able to fill a hold in a bit under an hour (tea and snacking time included.)

It's always been a bit glitchy. I thought that was the interference from the astroid dust thing (feature not a bug).
I've mined billions worth of cores...it IS currently broken for most players. I'm really eager for more players to chime in on the OPs request. Even if you don't want to use a work-around to mine this will maybe help point Fdev in the right direction for a real fix.

Cool - while you're waiting, I'll be mining. (shrug)
Lol. I'm not waiting. Packed my stuff and went on a long expedition. I'm in Lyra's song now. The name of the area intruiged since day 1 I started playing. My plan is to scout around here for a while, then cross straight through the G center to Colonia. Landed on a carrier in the deep and sold my data. Netted me 350-ish M (carreer fee deducted). I'm scouting as long as I am allowed before the loud mouths and the devs decide I am not having fun doing this and nerf this to the ground as well.

Good luck mining though!

Top Bottom