Roadmap leaked??

I guess if you make all the bases indestructible and not interactive to anyone other than the owner, then there might not be too much of an issue. Aside from the usual camping/instancing issues of meeting people.

They make no sense in the context of the game for 2 reason imo:

1. It's a spaceship game
2. What would you do there? What is the point in a game where everything revolves around you spaceship. There's no cargo/material/data storage, there's no player economy or trading, there's no passive income generation.

I just personally don't see how it all fits. Maybe in 5 years time when we're big game hunting on atmospheric planets, but now... Nope.

What if they were to add storage, passive income generation etc at the same time as the bases?

(See links above where the Brabes was open to passive income etc in the early days).

There is a Scott Manley video on YouTube with David Braben talking about base modules that could only be carried on or fit on the largest of ships.
These modules could be deployed one time and hollow out an asteroid for a player base. It's a very old video.

Yep :) (See post just above for handy link / transcript if you fancy a revist ;))

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
What if they were to add storage, passive income generation etc at the same time as the bases?

(See links above where the Brabes was open to passive income etc in the early days).

I would buy a hat and then eat it :D

Without a player driven economy, storage for anything other than Modules would be pointless. Elite will never have a player driven economy.

I guess if you make all the bases indestructible and not interactive to anyone other than the owner, then there might not be too much of an issue. Aside from the usual camping/instancing issues of meeting people.
If they had landing pad defence to blow up anyone that was loitering, I can't see an issue. Also the owner could be gone for weeks or months, so would that person camp there for that long waiting on the off chance that they turn up. I can't really see it myself.

They make no sense in the context of the game for 2 reason imo:

1. It's a spaceship game
It is not a space ship game. It is a galaxy sim with gameplay elements such as piloting your ship and SRV. It just so happens that the piloting of the ship is the main part of the game currently. I myself have a home station where most of my ships are stored. Having a personal one would be nice.

2. What would you do there? What is the point in a game where everything revolves around you spaceship. There's no cargo/material/data storage, there's no player economy or trading, there's no passive income generation.
It only revolves around your spaceship because they haven't added in anything else. Personally I would like material storage, cargo storage (this would be fine as the base would not be attached to the BGS), more and bigger synthesis options such as module building given the right materials, commoditiers and base option, being able to see your fleet in one place could be nice too. A place to hang some trophies and stuff. Maybe a meeting place for you and some of your friends. Maybe there could be joint built bases. But the main thing, it is something extra to do while you play the game. Something to work towards which you own and biuld up over time which isn't just another space ship.
It will be similar to any other MMO with player housing. In Lotro, it doesn't really hold any purpose apart for a place to stash stuff.

I just personally don't see how it all fits. Maybe in 5 years time when we're big game hunting on atmospheric planets, but now... Nope.
I can see how it fits, as to whether it and elite feet will be in 18 months time is another matter. I also would like atmoshperic planets and big game hunting, but I would also like to get out of my pilots chair and do stuff. There are plenty of places in the game that could be explored on foot and could add a lot of extra gameplay from a very different persepective.

Yep :) (See post just above for handy link / transcript if you fancy a revist ;))

Sorry I jumped right into the end of the thread without reading back. But I remembered that old video.

I would prefer an asteroid base to a planetary one. Almost seems more likely to happen with asteroid persistance being a thing already.

I would buy a hat and then eat it :D

Without a player driven economy, storage for anything other than Modules would be pointless. Elite will never have a player driven economy.
I disagree. CMDRs could store spare materials above the current on-person limitation, making future Engineer-crafting runs much easier.

Cargo storage would allow CMDRs to transfer commodities to/from their ship(s) therefore enabling easy swapping of ships where one doesn't have enough cargo racks equipped. This also enables the ability to quickly change ship & playstyle: e.g. you're doing long trading runs, or collecting cargo for a big mission, and a mate joins you for Combat Zone blasting, so now instead of telling your mate "I've gotta finish all this first" you can store the commodities, swap ship, and go battle.

I can't see Frontier allowing base ownership or building. As well as putting more strain on the servers, there'd be a whole new level of people being upset. We have people not happy (in a few cases) of the first discovered system, and that works pretty well. Think I'm talking rubbish? A recent update that introduced the Codex, had people questioning if their first discovered tags were still there. People get very passionate and protective of that. Now imagine this happening with base building. All I see is people moaning about not being able to build where they wanted to, or being griefed, or their bases being attacked or destroyed.

I have at times questioned Frontier's decisions, but even they can't be so stupid as to open themselves up to a new area of complaints.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
In Lotro, it doesn't really hold any purpose apart for a place to stash stuff.

And having parties :) And decorating, but this was in the game from the start along with the housing.

I disagree. CMDRs could store spare materials above the current on-person limitation, making future Engineer-crafting runs much easier.

Cargo storage would allow CMDRs to transfer commodities to/from their ship(s) therefore enabling easy swapping of ships where one doesn't have enough cargo racks equipped. This also enables the ability to quickly change ship & playstyle: e.g. you're doing long trading runs, or collecting cargo for a big mission, and a mate joins you for Combat Zone blasting, so now instead of telling your mate "I've gotta finish all this first" you can store the commodities, swap ship, and go battle.

You really need to store more materials that you can currently have?

With regards to cargo storage, Frontier have always been very clear that they don't want people to have that as they would be able to store up goods at a cheap price and then sell them when needed. Now this may have changed a little bit with the removals of CG's but we shall have to see how II's play out.

Also I'm fully aware that things change over time, but in my head the flow of these sorts of changes wouldn't be to add base building first.

Ummm .... I think that's a topic for a whole other thread ... maybe? ... in Off Topic?

Incredibly relevant as the video is in the OP...

And having parties :) And decorating, but this was in the game from the start along with the housing.
Player housing in LOTRO was never in the game from the beginning. It was added much later on. Decorating could very well be in there too as well as parties if you so wished.

You really need to store more materials that you can currently have?
Personally I would massively reduce the amount of materials you can store on your escape capsule and store them at your base instead. I never liked the added space for materials, especially physical materials.

With regards to cargo storage, Frontier have always been very clear that they don't want people to have that as they would be able to store up goods at a cheap price and then sell them when needed. Now this may have changed a little bit with the removals of CG's but we shall have to see how II's play out.
The difference there is that you would be storing said item as a station that buys said item. If it was at your base, you would have to continually check the markets, then go to your base, pick them up and then deliver to said station. It would be virtually no different to any other trade run. I can't see how that would be an issue, especially if you were only allowed to build one base.

Last edited:
Base building first and foremost has a psychological value. People love having a 'home' somewhere, and love tinkering with it. Even if there is no massive tangible benefit. Just calling a little place of dirt in the middle of nowhere 'home' with a basic gameplay loop of upgrading it would be enjoyed by many.
Agreed. Sony had "Home" on the PS3 which initially was quite a money spinner for them, despite being free to play. It gave players the chance to decorate their home and avatar with cosmetics some of which were free but most of which were paid for. The Home community had players that had spent several hundred Euros on such e-merchandise.

I know that a lot on here would be dead against that but personally, I have no problems. I have bought ship kits, paint jobs and avatar costumes. Give me the option to buy interior decorations for a base and I will lap it up (despite approaching 50 and being "too old" for such behaviour).

Nonsense. It would be amazing everytime you entered the hanger and saw your fleet. These ships are massive in scale, the immersion alone would be next level.
In VR, the new hangar view of your current ship on the main menu is the same as the normal game, except you are stood on the hangar deck looking up at your ship.

For me, that means I’m perhaps 10m away from walking up the nose gear entrance ladder of my Cobra III. It may (possibly) take me 2 years to walk over there, but I’m not foreseeing that getting old any time soon after that :)

The difference there is that you would be storing said item as a station that buys said item. If it was at your base, you would have to continually check the markets, then go to your base, pick them up and then deliver to said station. It would be virtually no different to any other trade run. I can see how that would be an issue, especially if you were only allowed to build one base.
Agreed. And stash storage doesn't have to be large - 2000T should more than cover any cargo/ship transfer/swap/convenience requirement.

Base building first and foremost has a psychological value. People love having a 'home' somewhere, and love tinkering with it. Even if there is no massive tangible benefit. Just calling a little place of dirt in the middle of nowhere 'home' with a basic gameplay loop of upgrading it would be enjoyed by many.

You speak truths my friend, truths.

Base building is fine as long as I don't have to do it; I've no interest in it - but I'd quite like to visit others' and see what they've done.... I'd rather fly spaceships than build bases, personally.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Player housing in LOTRO was never in the game from the beginning. It was added much later on. Decorating could very well be in there too as well as parties if you so wished.

Really, wow I thought it was there from the start. I was, the memories must have gotten muddled :)

Base building is fine as long as I don't have to do it; I've no interest in it - but I'd quite like to visit others' and see what they've done.... I'd rather fly spaceships than build bases, personally.
How about flying your spaceship to build your base. Then having your base to store all your ships. But as it goes, I really can't see how or why it would be compulsory so if you don't want to, you don't have to.

Top Bottom