Roadmap leaked??

If (and I think it will be a big IF) the next update is atmo landings I can't see these planets teeming with populations. If there are cities, we might be able to fly over them at a great height, but that would be all. Definitely not zooming down Main St then turning down right at the lights down Grand Braden Avenue ;).

To be honest I would just be happy if the flora is indicative of the planet. For example, low thick vegetation for planets with high gravity, tall willowy ones for low gravity planets. Not asking for much am I :D

If (and I think it will be a big IF) the next update is atmo landings I can't see these planets teeming with populations. If there are cities, we might be able to fly over them at a great height, but that would be all. Definitely not zooming down Main St then turning down right at the lights down Grand Braden Avenue ;).

To be honest I would just be happy if the flora is indicative of the planet. For example, low thick vegetation for planets with high gravity, tall willowy ones for low gravity planets. Not asking for much am I :D
With a few wild animals and also a little human activity on the ground, and that would be perfect.

:)

Many moons ago there was a dev post about having people wander about in spaceports and such for immersion.

They said popping the little people in wouldn't be that tough, but because of how players are they'd also need to be able to laser, blast and land spaceships on top of them.

Which is where the issues came in.

Many moons ago there was a dev post about having people wander about in spaceports and such for immersion.

They said popping the little people in wouldn't be that tough, but because of how players are they'd also need to be able to laser, blast and land spaceships on top of them.

Which is where the issues came in.

One of the more common things I read about space legs is how people want to be able to wander around the interior of the station, especially the landing pads. How long do you think it would be before the first HERO runs out on a pad just as a ship is about to touch down and get squashed, just so the poor pilot is suddenly deemed a murderer and blown up by the station?

Personally, I think it would be that epidemic that landing at any of the more popular stations would be damn near impossible - all because a small group thinks its fun.

One of the more common things I read about space legs is how people want to be able to wander around the interior of the station, especially the landing pads. How long do you think it would be before the first HERO runs out on a pad just as a ship is about to touch down and get squashed, just so the poor pilot is suddenly deemed a murderer and blown up by the station?

Personally, I think it would be that epidemic that landing at any of the more popular stations would be damn near impossible - all because a small group thinks its fun.

Or more realistically, that the pedestrian gets a fine for trespassing on an occupied landing pad? Or even better, the player cannot gain entry at all during landing? Its all a case of sitting down and planning.

Or more realistically, that the pedestrian gets a fine for trespassing on an occupied landing pad? Or even better, the player cannot gain entry at all during landing? Its all a case of sitting down and planning.

Planning huh, yep FD is really good at that. Look how they successfully stopped people flying a Sidewinder and ramming ships then self destructing.

As for making the pads a no go zone, nope suggested that myself and got screamed down (and the odd very ugly PM), how not allowing players to walk around their ships whilst on the pad would restrict them taking selfies. Apparently that is the main focus of some and the overriding reason for the inclusion of space legs.

Planning huh, yep FD is really good at that. Look how they successfully stopped people flying a Sidewinder and ramming ships then self destructing.

As for making the pads a no go zone, nope suggested that myself and got screamed down (and the odd very ugly PM), how not allowing players to walk around their ships whilst on the pad would restrict them taking selfies. Apparently that is the main focus of some and the overriding reason for the inclusion of space legs.

Again its an easy solution- during a landing phase the pad is locked down and all entry points sealed, and, just like airports have a viewing deck for picture hunters. Once the ship is down then the doors come up, ground crew come in and you can snap away.

Again its an easy solution- during a landing phase the pad is locked down and all entry points sealed, and, just like airports have a viewing deck for picture hunters. Once the ship is down then the doors come up, ground crew come in and you can snap away.

And yes again, we are talking FD here - a company that often take the road least travelled so to speak. If there is a way for FD to make it more difficult for the average player yet easier for those that want to disrupt everyone else, they will do it.

I will put it another way, if FD were serious about getting rid of players who go out of their way to ruin the game for everyone else, they would have by now. Yet we still have these 'brave and skillful' players who seal club, station ram, and genuinely behave 'not nicely'.

And yes again, we are talking FD here - a company that often take the road least travelled so to speak. If there is a way for FD to make it more difficult for the average player yet easier for those that want to disrupt everyone else, they will do it.

I will put it another way, if FD were serious about getting rid of players who go out of their way to ruin the game for everyone else, they would have by now. Yet we still have these 'brave and skillful' players who seal club, station ram, and genuinely behave 'not nicely'.
All those mechanics have legitimate uses in game. As Skynet correctly identified, the problem is the humans - eliminate them and everything will be fine.

All those mechanics have legitimate uses in game. As Skynet correctly identified, the problem is the humans - eliminate them and everything will be fine.

That's already been tried in the ED universe, and the AI's lost remember (guess their version of Skynet didn't have Arnie lol). Anyway, if the quality and intelligence of the NPCs are any indication, us humans don't have a lot to worry about :D

That's already been tried in the ED universe, and the AI's lost remember (guess their version of Skynet didn't have Arnie lol). Anyway, if the quality and intelligence of the NPCs are any indication, us humans don't have a lot to worry about :D
Guardian AI is still around - there is hope for Skynet yet ;)

If the core game mechanic is pointless, lacking skill or fun... Why would you think building on that without correcting it would make it any different or better. Space legs like planetary interaction will be a novelty that quickly wears to repetitive grindy .

The core mechanics that all the games features build on need to be overhauled.

Trade needs to drop the spreadsheets from 1985 and move to something that makes sense for independent merchants / couriers .. goods that are dealt with need to be of a fixed quantity that the game produces and consumes the generate integral aspects of the bgs and player acquired objects.

Exploration needs to be risky. You need to be able to get lost. You need to be able to make claims on newly discovered resources that you can exploit yourself or allow certain npc orgs to. But with this added risk, exploration also needs let you find things nobody else has seen. In other words, there needs to be a serious effort to hand creating content across the Galaxy since the game can't procedurally do it like nms

Combat needs to matter and be much harder and thus far less frequently engaged by everyone. It should take much longer to fight any given ship. This would allow all the work done to adjusting power levels, repair systems, and pilot still come into play rather than just min maxed configs that rely on ambush tactics or exploit poor ship balance.
Since combat outside of the military or pirates will be rare, npc's should remember and place great importance on who you are known to have killed. This reputation would follow you in a gradually getting sphere from the factions those ships belong to any overlaps would magnify it.

The bgs needs much much more contrast between different governmental and economical systems. Both in the looks and offerings and in npc behavior. Most secondary+ stations in all systems should be very quick to not allow players to dock without meeting their particular standards... Similar to engineers but not as dumb as just collecting items. This kind of stuff along with the much more functional game economy would go a long way to making the bgs really matter.

I don't know. This forum is filled with posts on what would fix the game. It seems pretty obvious either people who think it has serious issues and has had them from day 1 are a tiny minority or fdev is content and doesn't care since what they have seems to still make money anyway.

If the core game mechanic is pointless, lacking skill or fun... Why would you think building on that without correcting it would make it any different or better. Space legs like planetary interaction will be a novelty that quickly wears to repetitive grindy.

It is actually very entertaining to walk around in first person on a planet, in a ship, in a station, surface port etc. It'll be fun if there's enough eye candy. Because the first person perspective gives players a much higher level of immersion. We'll finally be a person rather than a ship in the galaxy. A virtual reality headset will offer full immersion.

There must be interesting gameplay features. Such as Mass Effect has some interesting first person shooter mechanics and character interaction. NPCs walk around in your ship, on planets, inside stations and cities makes the galaxy feel alive. It's more fun to roleplay in first person.

The core mechanics that all the games features build on need to be overhauled.

The core mechanics are fine imo. The Fleet Carrier should provide sufficient end-game PVE and PVP content. They do need to fix existing bugs.

Last edited:
With space legs to keep people interested they can add a much smaller level of information for us to seek out, for example:

Instead of scanning data nodes of things like generation ships we could find an airlock and have to make our way to the bridge or somewhere to patch into the system. There could be a device to allow this where a higher grade does it faster. All of these things could be for all bases etc.

Imagine instead of landing and driving into a Thargoid base you have to walk in, the level of horror and intensity that would bring?

Also small Easter eggs could also be added like for example bedside pictures of the dev team on one ship, a mobius/Hutton mug on another etc it would give the kleptomaniacs something to look for making the game MUCH MUCH bigger and longer.

Instead of scanning data nodes of things like generation ships we could find an airlock and have to make our way to the bridge or somewhere to patch into the system. There could be a device to allow this where a higher grade does it faster. All of these things could be for all bases etc.

Imagine instead of landing and driving into a Thargoid base you have to walk in, the level of horror and intensity that would bring?

Seconded. The current SRV base infiltration missions feel like a mini-game. It's much cooler to get out of the SRV, use stealth or FPS combat to take out NPC guards that patrol the area. Then reach a central computer to get data, credits, blue prints, relics or a ship upgrade. The Deus Ex series has great level design with multiple viable solutions: combat, stealth or pacifism.

Last edited:
Nevermind just simple SRV missions getting a boost by being able to do them on foot, take it to the next level, infiltrate the base meaning infiltrate the buildings in the base. I mean, how cool would it be to sneak or blast your way through some of the highrises in ED bases get to level eleventeen to steal something? Getting data for a mission could actually doing something more plausible than scanning a data point, physically penetrate a building, breach its server room, plant a uplink device, get out without getting caught. OR stalk an NPC and pickpocket them for a data device. OR follow them until they go into a meeting room, at whcih point you use surveilance equipment such as parabolic or laser microphones to eavesdrop the meeting to get your intel. Such is the potential breadth of legs that your actions on the data acquisition mission needn't focus on the one NPC, you could bribe their neighbours to let you use thier room/office/home to eavesdrop on your target. Or you could buy a pass to the building from a janitor in a bar for a stack of credits, or call in a favour with the police chief of the station to get them to mount a search and seize operation on all the targets computer equipment to allow you access to their terminals when they are being held in the evidence room of the starport.

Or how about actually being an actual assassin, and having more freedom to chose which of various ways you use to perform an assassination mission, rather than simply taking out a nominated ship in ship to ship combat. For instance, you could board their ship and plant a bomb in their quarters, or you could watch them walking down the embarkation ramp through the scope of a sniper rifle, or you could infiltrate their quarters and kill them in their sleep, or you could sneekily stab them with a syringe of poison on a busy prominade, or you could spike their drink in a bar, or you could beat them to death in their ships hangar, or you could incapacitate them and through them out an air lock.

And what if station repairs didnt jsut require community goal / wing mission style of haul X thousand tonnes of [Commodity], but offered players the chance to sign up for an EVA mission to actually perform some of the repairs on the hull of the burning/damaged stations?

Nevermind just simple SRV missions getting a boost by being able to do them on foot, take it to the next level, infiltrate the base meaning infiltrate the buildings in the base. I mean, how cool would it be to sneak or blast your way through some of the highrises in ED bases get to level eleventeen to steal something? Getting data for a mission could actually doing something more plausible than scanning a data point, physically penetrate a building, breach its server room, plant a uplink device, get out without getting caught. OR stalk an NPC and pickpocket them for a data device. OR follow them until they go into a meeting room, at whcih point you use surveilance equipment such as parabolic or laser microphones to eavesdrop the meeting to get your intel.

Yes this kind of depth is more suitable for a DLC after The Next Era expansion. Initially there could be just 3 options per mission: combat, stealth and negotiator (pacifist). I think that would provide enough variety.

Yes this kind of depth is more suitable for a DLC after The Next Era expansion. Initially there could be just 3 options per mission: combat, stealth and negotiator (pacifist). I think that would provide enough variety.

Players can do errands the old way without exiting their ship. For new first person related gameplay it'll be required to walk around. To shorten the travel time, we can use the SRV or maybe a hoverboard.

Last edited:
This will probably be unpopular, but the visual advantages of a first-person perspective will quickly cool, and be seen as just another time barrier.

Good thing the leaks suggest we’d be able to shoot aliens in the face faster, what with all the barriers to that being removed.

PS popular opinion: Games that give players agency as a human character are popular...

Last edited:
Top Bottom