ROLEPLAYING - Introduce your Commander

Bio:
After spending the majority of his working life, living in the same enviro cube and working in the same corporate office, squirrelling as many credits as he could afford to stash away, living “within his means” and spending the life a hermit would have envied, he managed to save enough credits to allow him to purchase his place in a pilot training program. After 10 long years of watching the world rotate by, he finally was able to feel the total freedom of Zero G. Even though he felt that he “looked a bit silly” in his flight suit it, compared to his dreary blue corporate overalls he usually wore, however it did fit well and the extra rigidity of the suit helped him stand straight for the first time in years. The freedom that space flight gave was like a light being switched on in a darkened room, it was so natural and he even finished the course in third place (much to the surprise of some of the younger candidates)
He had his new licence and flight wings, now all he needed was employment; this was to prove to be difficult, as it required the straight talking skills that he had never learnt during his office days. It was only after a long period of time and down to his last few credits he managed to gain employment with “Mikhail Fish Importers” being co-pilot on one of the company’s old fleet of Cobra MK1 haulers. It was the job that no one wanted, the smell of fish and the age of the ships put many fresh faced pilots off, but once you used to the smell of fish, the job wasn’t too bad and the pay was reasonable, much more than he ever earned when working for the corporation. So again 5 years of squirrelling away and with the promotion to full pilot enabled him to put his savings into a deposit on a beat up sidewinder and even had 1000Cr left over for cargo (the ship merchant even loaned him his first pulse laser!) With full tanks of fuel and a cargo of grain he set off into the inky blackness of space, his own master and finally a real Commander.
Over the years there were some great adventures, he would make huge fortunes and loose them, fly the largest ships and find himself drifting in space watching Pirates picking over the spilled cargo, on other occasions the roles would be reversed, where he would collect the bounty from wanted pirates… but these adventures are for another time.

Grum

My Commander has an inner ear problem that leads him to generally always fly in a tight spiral - flying straight makes him dizzy. His antics are often mistaken for dangerous hotdog maneuvers, but he's just making his way in the sky today - it takes everything you've got.

...and finally I can introduce myself.

Well, not really. More, hm, a telling of my story.

And here it is. :)

Last night when I went to bed, I thought to myself "In the morning, I'll necro that RP Commander Introductions thread I started. Then all the Standard Beta types can have a go if they like!"

I had it all planned out. Quotes from the necrocomnicon, I'd even hired some robes. it was going to be a whole thing. I fell asleep well chuffed with myself.

Then I wake up to find two more pages of bios to read, started off by this absolute, utter gem.

Thanks Completely Harmless. Keep them coming guys, Ive got an alt swirling round at the mo that I'll stick up soon.

Also rep to Juniper, both for the excellent bio and the RP forum request, I shall start making noise over there ASAP.:cool:

Commander Spaniels - a back story

As a boy young Tony only ever had one dream of what he wanted to be when he grew up, a dream that was seeded inside him when he saw his first episode of The Sopranos on an old video stream in his local library. It was a dream that he held close to his heart and pictured when he closed his eyes when he fell asleep at night, and that dream was to become the boss of a family like Tony Soprano. He did everything he could to emulated his hero, he practised the walk, the mannerisms and the accent.

But for young Tony, his dream was doomed to fail from the start. For one thing, he commanded no respect whatsoever from his peers. Kids can be cruel, and they certainly wasted no opportunity mocking his speech impediment that made him say Spaniels instead of Soprano, nor did they let him away with his rubbish interpretation of a late 20 century Italian American accent, and most of all they made great mirth making up songs and nicknames for Tony's extra testie that he was endowed with thanks to his father coming from a terraformed planet that suffered mutations due to radiation, which to top it off also made him walk slightly bowed legged.
Tony learned a harsh lesson from a young age, that dreams can be a load of ****e sometimes. But despite this crushing failure, he kept hold of a desire to make his mark in the Galaxy.
'I will make my mark in the Galaxy'..he lisped..' and people will respect me and my massive mansack, one way or the other, possibly with the use of a baseball bat'.

Unfortunately for Tony, not many flight suits catered for his epic endowment, and he would need to spend extra credits for a custom made suit ready for the launch of his first ship. Tony however was determined not to let this set back throw rocks in his pond and derail his mission to seek out fortune and fame for himself, and sowed in a felt purse to accommodate
his triple decked knackers. Now he thought to himself, now Im ready to take to the stars! as he very very slowly inched his way off the docking pad and scraped along the side of the station exit slot and off into the inky blackness that seemed to bleed for some reason, perhaps his visor needed a driver upgrade...

Last edited:
Cmdr Hawkenfox

Born in 3115 almost 2 century old, got his biological brain and body transfered into the state of the art nano fibre optics in the cyno experiment. Hawken is the by product of a failed experiment to give mankind superpowers, instead he became immortal and develop strange abilities from time to time. Having lost most of his peers in the experiment he swore to hunt for those responsible. Fought in the Terra war against those who initiated the experiment on Terra soldiers without prior investigation on the danger of cyno technology. The war became long drawn and began to evolve into a war between mega corporations looking to steal phase I cyno technology. These mega corporation hide amongst governments and rebel cells, giving financial and intellectual support to any organisation willing to take the stake.

Hawken was caught in the fox programme initated by one such corporation. Initiately the training programme seeks to train any soldier into piloting heavy terran craft for short hit and run mission that became quickly obsolete with the ship's AI rewritten to fit the bill. The fox programme then made headlines that attracted other competitor for cyno tech to advance their warfare into space. Quickly all the soldiers elisted were reprogrammed for the inevitable power struggle in space. Hawken was hand picked due to the cyno technology implanted in his brain, they found a new way to interact with the technology and give any soldier with cyno technology a shorter training regiment. Project "Hawkenfox" was born by doctor Marshal Grey who did major work on reversal engineering on exotic technology of Terra.

The Hawkenfox project requires audit on the original code and Hawken to be placed under VR mode. All interaction between the doctor and the subject was carried out through the holographic projector available. They worked closely until doctor Marshal Grey was killed by a rigged bomb in his lab by competitor's rebel cell. Since Marshal Grey's death hawken was trapped in the VR mode and was later freed from the VR mode by a line of code written by an anonymous hacker, who happen to be transversing the nodes on 3299 christmas eve looking for some hacking fun.

Ever since Hawkenfox woke up on the faithful morning of 3299 christmas eve, he swore he has forgotten the hatred he has for the men who gave him immortality but killed all his friends. Even if he did hate them, they were all dead by now. Now he chose to live by the code of peace, trade and love... although he can still be a good fighter pilot if an occasion requires it.

And no matter how hard he tries, he cannot remember what race he was born into.

Last edited:
Commander Catoblepas reporting for duty. I couldn't tell you my real name as I'm not entirely sure of it. In fact I couldn't really tell you where I came from either. I have small flashbacks of when I was young, being on a ship that was under attack by pirates wherein they boarded and killed many of the crew. A select few were taken as captives and I was chosen to 'work' for them as they seemed a little uneasy to take the life of someone so young. I can hardly remember the face of my captor as he didn't seem to want to keep me around long either and shortly after I was sold off to another ship.

This is where I earned my name. I spent many years serving under the Captain of this ship, who was an extremely ruthless pirate to the point that a lot of his crew were not only afraid of him, but despised him also, yet lacked the courage to actually stand against him. One day he had tasked me with doing repairs on his own private sidewinder which would often be kept at the heart of his fleet as a last chance escape method should his band of pirates lose a battle. Whilst doing these repairs I noticed that his sidewinder was rather well equipped for such a small ship, incredibly well in fact. I realized this would be my one opportunity to make my escape from my captors and began preparing the ship to leave.

The Captains first mate had been sent down to check on me, I feel their trust in me was always lacking, and rightly so. However the first mate was also one of the many who feared and despised the Captain so I took my chances and told him of my plans to escape. As I'd expected he seemed to commend my bravery and told me that to flee would not be an option as I would be shot down in an instant, he told instead I should become the Catoblepas. After holding my head to the ground for all these years it was finally time to lift my head high and connect eyes with the Captain, ensuring his end!

I was aware of his pep talk being little more than that, but it was all I needed at the time. I told him to contact any he held dear from the crew and create an excuse for them to leave the ship. He requested these crew members to come help with the repairs I was incapable of doing, of course to the Captains surprise this is when his faithful backup ships engines fired up and began to close on the commanding ship. I opened fire targeting his engines to give myself the edge I needed. His combination of energy based and ballistic weaponry made it very easy to pick through his shields and begin to do damage. He demanded I cease fire and threatened to take my life, of course the threat was as empty as could be since he was always going to try to end my life for standing up to him, just as he would anybody else.

The battle proved harder than imagined as I had very little experience actually using a ship before, and whilst I had taken a number of shots which had badly damaged my engines and made supercruise unusable the element of surprise had proved to be the advantage I needed to win the battle. My captor was slain and his fleet undecided what was left for them to do, having felt little pride in their Captain they let me drift away.

So here I am, floating in the ever lasting deep black of space with no clue of where I am headed or when I will get there. My ship is limping slowly through the void and I try to take a little comfort in hoping I will find a space station I can repair at. I don't know what I will do in this universe as I have never had the freedom to choose so until now. Having been a captor for so long though, I'd like to try and refrain from making enemies so i'll be happy to cooperate with any like minded individuals. If my life support holds out of course.

Last edited:
I am actually a chimp inside a full body mask of an 8 bit 80's video character from Midwinter.

Aaaah Midwinter.. Those were the days. Did you know you could actually win the game by heading straight to the enemy base at the beginning using the delta wing), and bomb it right away? 10 min max, I remember :D

Mmmockay back on topic.

Gédéon Le Canard ("Gideon the duck") is an fairly old comics character. He's a yellow duck who's the joke of the farm, because of his really long neck. He decides to travel around the world and get the best of it. He's a bit of a bandit, a thief, a philosopher and a hero.

Having finished reading the last of "Gédéon le canard" comic books, the commander without a name threw the relic behind his seat, with the rest of the paper books he bought from this smelly antique shop on Novenia, and looked at the stars behind the cockpit glass. He decided "Gédéon le canard" was a decent nickname, poetic and silly enough so he would avoid taking himself too seriously. Besides, he already had a solid experience as a bandit and a thief, and he will surely figure the rest later on. «Right, that settles it», he said to himself, while engaging the Icarus stardrive. Soon he will enter Solice solar system and have fun there, beating up Egrons and chasing space whales.

His space career would include, among other things, battling the Shivans along with puppy-face aliens or building galaxy sized commercial empires in the X-universe. The recent collapse of which forced him to seek his fortune elsewhere. He recently heard that on the frontiers, a place with a glorious past was shining again.

[[snip]]building galaxy sized commercial empires in the X-universe. The recent collapse of which forced him to seek his fortune elsewhere.

Rebirth has the distinction of having *the worst* line ever in a video game (at least for a main character), as far as I'm concerned; "I'm not a 'hackey-go-lucky' kinda guy." Die in a fire, Ren Otani. And take your completely-nonsensical-co-pilot-with-a-giant-hole-in-her-spacesuit with you.

------------

Jason Denton was a student of astrophysics in his home system of Altair. He knew little of his family's history beyond that he came from a long line of totally undistinguished, run-of-the-mill work-a-day spacers, and that his headstrong mother had wished from an early age to break away from the 'family business.' Settling dirt-side in the Altair system, she raised her two children under a real sky with real food at their dinner table.

Shortly after Jason's 20th birthday, a visitor came--his estranged uncle, Nathan. After some arguing with Jason's parents, Nathan admitted the reason for his visit: 'The Old Man,' Jason's grandfather, had left something in his care. Six years after his passing, Jason was finally told that he had an inheritance waiting for him, which consisted of a sizable 'college' fund and an acceptance letter into Altair's prestigious Hikoboshi (彦星) Flight Acadamy. How The Old Man had arranged the entry into Hikoboshi, Nathan wouldn't say, but Jason suspected that it might have cost as much as a medium-sized starship, by itself. He suspected that there was more to The Old Man's past than anyone was willing to tell him.

Jason's mother, in particular, was adamantly against Jason leaving his potentially promising academic path behind for a less certain one behind the stick. But the young man saw it as the most logical course of action--rather than studying them from afar, a pilot's license could be his ticket to studying the cosmos up-close.

Commander Corvus

Well I'm currently on holidays in Germany and need to see a good sized star map to fill in my pilots back story......so I will polish it up over the next week or so and post in early August....

I need some locations with an independent star, that has or could have mining, system near an imperial system.

I understand how slavery works in the Empire but for my back story I need to know if there would be "slavers" who would perhaps raid non empire areas to get new acquisitions for the Empire......

Thanks
Ill see you in THE BLACK

Making a come back

"From the moment that the trading ship, Avalonia, slipped its orbital berth above the planet Lave, and began to manoeuvre for the hyperspace jump point, its measureable life-span, and that of one of its two-man crew, was exactly eighteen minutes.

The space station gently span away into the shadows and the small Ophidian class vessel shuddered as its motors angled it round towards the Faraway jump. The planet Lave, below, rotated in blue- green splendour. There were storms moving across the Paluberion Sea, six great ls of pink and white cloud. They were approaching the continental mass that was FirstFall, and promising a bleak and wet few days to the swathes of forest and the deep, snaking valleys that cut through the rugged land. The cities of both Humankind and Lavian glittered among the verdant blanket below like bright shards of glass.

Watching the lush world from his seat at the astrogation console, Alex Ryder expressed an audible sigh of regret that he had not been allowed down to the world itself. Next to him, fingers moving expertly over the keys of the trader's ManOp console, his father grinned. Jason Ryder knew well enough the frustration of only being allowed to observe a rich and fabled world like Lave from orbit. He had been planetside once, an unforgettable experience . . . But the rules and regulations of the Galactic Co-operative of Worlds were strict and sensible. Lave, like any other planet, was not a holiday resort, not a curiosity. It was a living, evolving world, and there were folk down below to whom that world was everything that Old Earth had once been to the Human race. Protection. Mother. Home.

Another time, another year, Alex thought. You earned your visit to Lave, and he had hardly begun his professional life. He still had so much to learn.

The Ryders had been a trading family for three generations. It had begun with Ben Ryder, who had traded almost exclusively using shot-up pirate ships. Ben had lived life on the edge, and one day, one night, one star year, he had not returned. "

Since the dedicated RP forum is currently a no-go, has anyone looked into the possibility of making an RP group that could be easily searchable in-ship? I've only been able to Beta in the solo scenarios thus far because of server load, so while I can see the searching option, I haven't seen how to create a new group yet. Seems like enough people here might be interested.

The dedicated RP forum is definitely NOT a no-go... but it needs Commanders!

Please go to this thread and register your interest if you want one and / or plan on participating in an RP forum should one exist.

I'm not against a role-playing sub-forum, although I'd like to see what level of interest there is for one. If we get enough people posting they would partake in it in this thread then I'll look into it further.

Michael

This is a call to arms for all RP Elite players! :)

*bump*

Come on Commanders - lots of very creative posts in this thread, how would you like a forum all of your very own?

Only one way to make it happen...

The dedicated RP forum is definitely NOT a no-go... but it needs Commanders!

Please go to this thread and register your interest if you want one and / or plan on participating in an RP forum should one exist.

This is a call to arms for all RP Elite players! :)

Sorry, I meant that based on the course of that thread, it seemed like FD wasn't making it a priority for the moment. I'll head back over there and bump it.

Commander Broxton Windsor flew for many years in a planetside air force Sim, alongside Commander Feral Rabbit.
They fought in many air skirmishes together until one day, Feral Rabbit throttled back, and fired a sidewinder missile straight into Windsor's F16 Falcon. Rabbit always claimed it happened the other way round, either way, they could no longer trust each other & went their separate ways.

A few years later they met up again in Geoff Crammonds Formula 1 Racing Sim, and the rivalry took up where it left off, with Rabbit driving recklessly to try and kill his adversary on the track - to this day he claims it was Windsor who was trying to do the killing, on his way to the World Championship.

A decade on and they were both back in the military, fighting monsters in the world of Doom and Quake. This time it was alleged that Windsor, in a tense, blood covered lull in combat, walked over to Rabbit and punched him to death while he was reloading his chaingun.

Turn the clock forward three Decades and we find ourselves in the Elite:Dangerous Universe, and Commanders Broxton Windsor and Feral Rabbit are once again flying together into the unknown.

They have to fly side by side as neither trusts the other, not just to watch their six, but to refrain from opening fire on the other and making off with their dead wingman's cargo.

But they're older, wiser now, maybe, surely, this time it'll be different? ........

In my defence that whilst playing Knights of the Sky I was scarred by the cowardly act (he shall remain nameless but it was Broxton Windsor) of whilst being on the same side he did shamelessly come onto my tail and fill me full of lead. Not to mention calling me over whilst in Doom he did slap me AND in a certain Ikari Warriors did go ahead of his comrade in arms to claim all the booty he could. Leaving said comrade to try and ward off the evil horde.

Ever since the serial linking of computers and now the interweb I feel unsafe and defiled Yes we are older and wiser but I still have a sneaking suspicion that Broxton wants to slap me down.....We shall see :smilie:

Last edited:
In my defence that whilst playing Knights of the Sky I was scarred by the cowardly act (he shall remain nameless but it was Broxton Windsor) of whilst being on the same side he did shamelessly come onto my tail and fill me full of lead. Not to mention calling me over whilst in Doom he did slap me AND in a certain Ikari Warriors did go ahead of his comrade in arms to claim all the booty he could. Leaving said comrade to try and ward off the evil horde.

Ever since the serial linking of computers and now the interweb I feel unsafe and defiled Yes we are older and wiser but I still have a sneaking suspicion that Broxton wants to slap me down.....We shall see :smilie:

LOL

See, with this level of mutual trust, how can we possibly fail against whatever awaits us out in Elite space?

Haha I had completely forgotten about Knights of the Sky, but I think you have that (and especially the Ikari Warriors story) the wrong way round - I was the one running along behind while you killed everybody and collected the loot.

I confess to the Doom incident.

Top Bottom