Hardware & Technical Saitek x55 rhino

I got one of these for ED and I must say its a fantastic addition to the game, after getting used to it and mapping stuff to where I want it I've not looked back. The only minor complaints I have are that despite the tension wheel, the resistance on the throttle seems to go up and down like a brides nightie (maybe due to feedback from the game?), and one of the thumb sticks doesn't seem to work in ED. Other than that I love it, its added so much to the experience.

If anyone is interested Ive managed to get the Mad Catz software to work on my Win7 PC. It has had the benefit of removing the wanderingness of it when left pointing in one direction, ie a long supercruise.

Right click on madcatz icon on desktop, choose 'compatability mode' set it to service pack 3 and bobs your uncle.

I have X55 X52pro, X52, Saitek Rudder pedals as well as A full CH Hotas setup. The X55 SUCKS! Get the X52pro. My CH Stuff is Awesome But the Full setup will cost about twice what a X52pro cost. I have tried just about every Stick under the sun. X52 Pro is the best All around per price.

i have the X-55 for a year now, even if i could not live with some of its hats and buttons i have to say i´m concern with the overall quality of its components, the upside button of the rotary stopped working at the third month of using it, and the hats start to loosen as soon as you use them many times, in fact i´m using a gamepad now for the usual operations inside the stations. The x-52 i had before this i think it was built much better.

i´m very carefully with my gadgets, but i don´t think this hotas will last longer than a year, the next step for me is clearly a warthog.

Last edited:
i have the X-55 for a year now, even if i could not live with some of its hats and buttons i have to say i´m concern with the overall quality of its components, the upside button of the rotary stopped working at the third month of using it, and the hats start to loosen as soon as you use them many times, in fact i´m using a gamepad now for the usual operations inside the stations. The x-52 i had before this i think it was built much better.

i´m very carefully with my gadgets, but i don´t think this hotas will last longer than a year, the next step for me is clearly a warthog.

I believe it has a 2 year warranty. :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The X55 SUCKS!

Great objective review there. ;)

If anyone is interested Ive managed to get the Mad Catz software to work on my Win7 PC. It has had the benefit of removing the wanderingness of it when left pointing in one direction, ie a long supercruise.

Right click on madcatz icon on desktop, choose 'compatability mode' set it to service pack 3 and bobs your uncle.

Works out of the box on my Win7 PC. No compatability mode needed. And I have no wanderingness either.

Hello,
I want to get one of these.
What's the best price you can get one at the moment?
Is £160 ok?

I cannot recommend these people, never dealt with them personally, but....

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20834621/7725665/Saitek-Pro-Flight-X-55-Rhino-HOTAS-for-PC?gclid=Cj0KEQiA3bymBRC19IrD7O_NrYsBEiQAb2dpA8m660yTRzA0sXkBNbfu_m9tjvYNEN1pP7aoSxh_aWwaAmIx8P8HAQ

Has anyone got the slider above the red button to work in beta 1.1? I had it set up thru the programming tab as instructed earlier in this thread, and it worked fine (although I did have to start the X55 software each time before ED to get it to work). In 1.1 the binding is the same, I havent changed anything in the X55 profile, but it no longer works?

My x55 has a flaw, the pinky wheel on the throttle is stuck, i've roamed the internet for a guide on how to disassemble the throttle-stick, but haven't found anything. Found a guide on how to take the base apart, but not the stick part.

Any ideas?

My x55 has a flaw, the pinky wheel on the throttle is stuck, i've roamed the internet for a guide on how to disassemble the throttle-stick, but haven't found anything. Found a guide on how to take the base apart, but not the stick part.

Any ideas?
Try to apply some silicone-based spray.

I use the x-55 and it is good. But now there are squeaks when going through motions of flight. The unit now has a need to keep forward pressure to keep level flight. Tried working with Madkatz and for the warranty work needed would involve sending the unit to their plant in California and I am on the other coast. For 2 plus weeks would be without the stick and throttle. Not acceptable.
Just my 2 cents worth.

My $.02

Have had X55 for 6 months of daily heavy use and have had 0 problems with anything so far. In the beginning the z-axis was a little stiff and bumpy but that worked out and has been a real joy to immerse in all flying programs. Initially I thought there were too many buttons, switches, and hats, but am using every one in ED and could actually use 1 or two more.

My $.02

Have had X55 for 6 months of daily heavy use and have had 0 problems with anything so far. In the beginning the z-axis was a little stiff and bumpy but that worked out and has been a real joy to immerse in all flying programs. Initially I thought there were too many buttons, switches, and hats, but am using every one in ED and could actually use 1 or two more.

Hey techman69 - I ran into a similar issue. Seems like too many buttons but in practice a handful more would be perfect! I got around this by using a mode switch in my setup to double up the commands on some buttons. Can check out my profile in my sig if you wanted to see how I set it up.

Had my X55 for about 2 months now no issues except the poor lubrication they used. Once I added my own its much smoother and works perfectly.

I love mine - the stick could be a bit smoother but hey all of the buttons
i have mapped so i never need to touch the keyboard.
Watch out for the button ghosting issue (throttle wiring issue on older
models) it caused me to boost, dump cargo, deploy hardpoints inside
station as i moved throttle fwd.
I sent mine back to box.co.uk as it was a known issue and got a replacement.
New one worked perfectly.
I run the lightest spring

FYI - my second unit is starting to play up !
both 4 way hats on the throttle now will not register the up function unless the throttle
is in the middle position. This is a wiring issue again with the internal loom same as the
button ghosting I had with the prev one. Looks like a design weakness to me.

It took 2 weeks the last time to get a replacement, I may fix this myself to save the time.

------------

update

I took the bottom off the throttle unit (298 screws:) and .... oh my, assembled by someone
with no idea about stress on wires. Both looms (for either side of throttle) all have cracks
at the flex point and my brown wire was broken.

What I have done is to solder the brown wire BUT ... pull both looms through a little more
than they are so they dont stress as much at full throttle.

Really the correct solution would be to break each wire, pop a small bit of heat shrink on
re-solder and shrink the heatshrink to insulate. All way too much trouble so im going for
fix them as they break.

Oh and have some iso-alcohol on hand to clean that horrendous white friction/damping
compound off ... yak

My advice is that this could be a ticking time bomb for all owners and worth checking.

I like the stick .

x55wiringissues.jpg

Last edited:
both 4 way hats on the throttle now will not register the up function unless the throttle
is in the middle position. This is a wiring issue again with the internal loom same as the

It took 2 weeks the last time to get a replacement, I may fix this myself to save the time.

Hmmm, not nice to hear people getting that kind of issue - won't bother me too much as I'm happy to go inside and muck about with the wiring - in fact it's something I intend to do with the throttle at some point.

I haven't opened up the throttle yet, but I think it's a relatively recent model so I'm not sure I should get the wiring issue anyways.

The stick though... that's been slightly modified. As in the guts of the X55 have been taken out and replaced with the gimbal/motors/electronics of a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick - currently useless in ED other than being the return force, but in other sims (and hopefully in ED, in the future, FD?) force feedback is important to me.

Yep, definitely a wiring issue:
4t1l1xJ.jpg

The earlier versions had a paper isolation coating along all the wiring, the later versions do not have it. And moving throttle forward and backward causes wires to be cut as on the image I made on Friday.

As you have reported numerous buttons not working, this means that almost all wires are cut there. Moreover, they were cut in several places in my throttle. This means that it is going to be hard to repair such extensive damage.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that has bought the wrist spacer thingy. It's been very popular - our little printer has struggled to keep up at times. Have changed from white ABS to black with the proceeds. There have been a few failed/subpar prints, but they're all in a box; I think it can be recycled somehow.

I've been using one of the failed ones on my own X55, replacing a white early design version, and it really is good. I hope everyone that has bought one is happy? Haven't had a lot of suggestions on how to make it better, other than a smoother surface finish - sadly our printer can only do 0.15mm layers so we're stuck with that unless I print it at a funny angle that would make it take many hours longer and use a lot more "support" material.

Thanks again. If anyone ever finds 3D game models from Elite let me know.

Back
Top Bottom