saving up for the Fleet carrier

Here's a legitimate question - is buying and owning and maintaining a fleet carrier feasible by "just playing the game" and having fun?
Yes. But at the current rates, whether this is reasonable depends heavily on what you find fun.

Obviously, if you find mining enjoyable rather than grindy, it's not hard to generate vast wealth. And a FC offers an equally obvious enhancement to your ability to pursue that activity. If nothing else, it makes mining pristine rings outside the bubble entirely feasible. Moreover, there are some truly new options available through FCs. For example, one could literally become a capitalist: park at a good LTD hotspot convergence outside the bubble, and buy high bubble-normal prices (say 950k-1.1M/ton), then once full jump back to a price-spiking system and sell at 100k/ton below the local prices (say, 1.3M/ton or more). If we find a few good hotspot overlaps within a few hundred LY of the bubble, miners will make a good profit with easier mining (due to the hotspots) and no long runs back to a sell station; truckers will run a good profit unloading at the sell system (tens of MCr per round trip); and the carrier owner will make a mint on the spread without doing any mining at all.

If you enjoy exploration, it won't be hard to maintain a carrier now that they can offer UC services. The weekly upkeep represents only a handful of high-value scans. Buying one from scratch purely on exploration earnings will take longer, but an effort on the order of months should make it possible. For reference, my alt (with only Farseer unlocked) recently completed a 4-week ramble about the galaxy--that bit was Colonia to Semotus/Beagle to Sag A*--and turned in something like 650 MCr in scans. Ten months or so of that type of activity would buy an exploration FC and another month or two nets a year of maintenance on top. Admittedly, that's a lot of flying for a casual gamer (those 650 MCr represented FSS scans of something like 700-800 undiscovered systems, plus maps of most of the high-value planets). And again, a FC offers some new and interesting capabilities to an explorer, starting with the ability to use fun-to-fly ships as primary explorers, even if they're fragile, low-jumprange, or lacking internals for endurance-exploration gear. If you enjoy mining (or hooning) from time to time, you can bring specialized vehicles along for that, rather than having to return to the bubble periodically. And if you want to indulge in a run back to civilization for something (combat, a module you want to engineer, whatever), you can have a buckyballing Anaconda handy without being stuck in the thing for the entire trip.

I haven't looked at the earnings rates on other activities--bounty hunting, combat bond farming, trading, PvP etc. But I suspect they're in the 5-15 MCr/hr range at best. That's a long road to buying a carrier, and an annoying burden even to maintain one. Plus, I haven't quite figured out how a FC enhances those activities, except possibly for true bulk trading. In general, it seems like FCs might be slightly more convenient than a standard station, if positioned correctly. But that's a hefty price tag to avoid a jump or two once in a while.

All that said, exploration and mining are my favorites, so I guess that I'm the target audience for FCs. I have the money to buy one (and a couple years of maintenance) already, and I still like it after that time, maintaining it shouldn't be a chore based on the things I already do.

I have 5.1 billion and only 2 days to get to 6 to have enough credits for the beta to do what I planned to do.. Grind grind grind... No fun... Grind!
Fun will not bring the food to my FC crew families. All those people depend on my grinding. I can't let them down! Just do it! Just grind!
Seen my Avatar? Now you know what to do!

I have 5.1 billion and only 2 days to get to 6 to have enough credits for the beta to do what I planned to do.. Grind grind grind... No fun... Grind!
Fun will not bring the food to my FC crew families. All those people depend on my grinding. I can't let them down! Just do it! Just grind!
Seen my Avatar? Now you know what to do!
Just make sure to grind in Open, the exchange rates are better ;)

With prices dropping daily on LTD and Painite what other options are there for pilots to gain the 8b-12b necessary to buy and upkeep fleet carriers coming out in june

7 billion should be enough, unless you plan to immediately fill the cargo hold with tritium for a long voyage.

A as single solo player, no. Maybe thats by design.
A couple of mates playing for fun, yes. When they finally add a method for friends to assist financially without faffing about, we will have proof. Single Player Ownership, Group Play Functionality

Which begs the question, if it wasn't designed to be owned by a single player why was it designed to be owned by a single player?

With prices dropping daily on LTD and Painite what other options are there for pilots to gain the 8b-12b necessary to buy and upkeep fleet carriers coming out in june
Wing source & return missions (need to actually be done in wing) or.........Robigo :eek:

Realistically though, LTDs are still your best bet.

Last edited:
Tried that. Hit 1.2 billion peak and now down to 1/3rd of that. Doesn't seem to be working and I have the game open, I'm flying around and everything. Please advise.

Spend less, save more?

Same advice I'd give you IRL really I suppose. I'd love a Porsche. I earn around £20k a year before deductions. I don't have a Porsche. 🤷‍♂️

"Prices dropping daily". I still see them at over 900k, like usual.

Try exploring. Some comments said it is profitable and "a few scans" will get you a nice amount of credits. Once you do that, you can go back to mine again after realising mining is still the money making machine.

"Prices dropping daily". I still see them at over 900k, like usual.

Try exploring. Some comments said it is profitable and "a few scans" will get you a nice amount of credits. Once you do that, you can go back to mine again after realising mining is still the money making machine.

Pre Borann I recall getting 1.6mill regularly.

Why do you need 8-12 billion.

How much does fully (or as full as possible) stocking the shipyard and outfitting cost now?

The average was 900k-1M since 2 patches ago (I think a year and a bit ago). The 1.6M that you were able to get the last 2 months or so are no the usual, but the anomaly.

Top Bottom