Separate Fire Groups for the different Cockpit Modes

Please can we have separate Fire Group setting for the different Cockpit Modes - Combat or Analysis.

At present I can 'double bank' the Fire Buttons (A 1 Combat = Beams, A 1 Analysis = Discovery Scanner) but I get an irritating message when I fire anything.

Separate Fire Groups settings that I toggle between by hitting '/' when in the RHP will do the trick nicely.

Thank you.

Already posted before, more the once too.

Maybe we can get one of these to get a lot of replies and grab their attention:

Last edited:
Make it so. Let the likes flow through you.

Just for some more specificity, what do people think would be a good way to handle fire group default on mode switch? Should it recall your last selected fire group for that mode, or use the first fire group configured after each switch between modes?

Personally, I'd prefer it remained on the last selected fire group per HUD mode, but it would also be handy to be able to select a default fire group per mode for whenever you launch the game again.

My original idea was fire groups could be configured for analysis, combar or both (for old functionality). See the thread I linked. Then, If the current firegroup is not available in the hud mode you just switched then just go for the next one in the list that IS enabled for that hud mode.

But your idea of saving the previous one you had selected, seems like a better solution. Maybe a combination of solutions, in case one hasn't been selected before (eg: you just redid you firegroups).

Last edited:
What about ditching away the hud modes, and just use the correct one depending on the module clicked?
Combat mode when pressing fire, scan mode when pressing fss or detailed surface scan or composition scan, etc...
Is there really a need for different hud modes? FSS and surface scans are made in supercruise. Data scan, wake scan and composition scans are made in normal mode, and they don't need any other hud than the old one (combat mode).
If it's because of the mining scans, then just force a special fire group to these instruments, and change the hud when fire group changes accordingly. (add an option in the fire group - combat or scan mode - and block weapons from being assigned to scan mode groups.

What about ditching away the hud modes, and just use the correct one depending on the module clicked?
Combat mode when pressing fire, scan mode when pressing fss or detailed surface scan or composition scan, etc...
Is there really a need for different hud modes? FSS and surface scans are made in supercruise. Data scan, wake scan and composition scans are made in normal mode, and they don't need any other hud than the old one (combat mode).
If it's because of the mining scans, then just force a special fire group to these instruments, and change the hud when fire group changes accordingly. (add an option in the fire group - combat or scan mode - and block weapons from being assigned to scan mode groups.
This suggested feature would actually make the cockpit modes handy, because it will reduce information load.

I think it wouldn't even need an option for hud mode. If the first module assigned in a group was a weapon, it would automatically be defined as combat mode group, and no scanning modules could be assigned there, only chaffs, shield cell banks, weapons, etc...
If the first module assigned was a scanning module, then it would be automatically a scan mode group, and no weapons/combat utilities could be assigned there.
De-assigning all modules on that group would reset it to default, and allow the new first assignment to define its hud mode.

Since this the thread that's active i'll repost my idea here (with added notes from more recent suggestions)

I think to impact the game as least as possible the first part of the firegroup could be a section called "Hud Modes"

It would have two entries in it, one for each mode. And you would typically mark one or the other. You can mark both (current behavior), or even none.

Then when you switch hud mode, if the current fire group is not enabled for the selected hud mode, it would automatically switch to the next available fire group (for that hud mode). Someone suggested to save the firegroup you were last using for that hud mode, i think this is a better idea and have the former as a fallback for when the firegroups are new and haven't been used yet.

Note that having both check boxes off would disable the fire group, which could be a new feature.

Example:
Code:
---Fire Group---          [1]   [2]
HUD MODES              
* Combat Mode              X     O
* Analysis Mode            O     X
BEAM                   
* Pulse Laser              1     O
PROJECTILE             
* Multi-Cannon             2     O
UTILITY                
* The Whatever Scanner     O     1

Note:
O = empty/unselected.
X = selected.
1 = primary fire
2 = secondary fire

I think it wouldn't even need an option for hud mode. If the first module assigned in a group was a weapon, it would automatically be defined as combat mode group, and no scanning modules could be assigned there, only chaffs, shield cell banks, weapons, etc...
If the first module assigned was a scanning module, then it would be automatically a scan mode group, and no weapons/combat utilities could be assigned there.
De-assigning all modules on that group would reset it to default, and allow the new first assignment to define its hud mode.

This would be convenient, but at the same time it would make having HUD modes pointless, as it would typically function as if there were no HUD modes.
That begs the question, is there really a point to having a HUD mode for combat, and one for "other"?

At the moment, the only real advantage I can think of is that if you normally run with analysis mode activated, then you can't accidentally deploy weapons when switching fire groups, which is handy in and around stations, or when you don't want to send the wrong message. Allowing us to group fire groups by HUD mode would have been an additional benefit, so hopefully they take this suggestion under consideration.

Unless there's some larger plan ahead under development that will make more use of HUD modes so that it makes more sense having them, I'd say there's currently no real in-game justification for them.

Absolutely, when I’m in Combat mode and I look at my fire groups panel, it should only show modules and fire groups used in combat mode.

If I’m in Analysis Mode (blue) and I look over, the fire groups should be showing modules and groups that function in analysis mode, maybe even make the panel a matching blue so you know instantly you’re configuring Analysis groups.

Essentially you should be able to have fire groups A, B, C... for each mode. Combat (A) and switch to Analysis (A)

Also unrelated. In my industry we shorten words such as Parametrics to Param...could we do that with the word Analysis? 🤭

Is there a roadmap somewhere of changes they have planned? I really hope they rework this with either the suggestions posted on this thread, or something new entirely.
We don't even know if they recognize it needs improving.

Top Bottom