Shield Booster Diminishing Returns- Stop the Stack

Tournaments aren't the problem, they are already regulated. It's the organic PvP that's annoying.
And honor codes like "never use prems" work out sooo well. sigh
Well, does "organic" just mean "people who didn't want to take part and weren't expecting to"? Maybe this is the real problem? :)

My only PvP experience in recent months was when hauling in my Cutter and I noticed another player manoeuvring to get behind me. I throttled down and pitched over to face him and scan. He vanished before my scan completed. I guess he'd seen my A-rated shield, SCBs and all the boosters. In other words: on that occasion having enough boosters was fundamental to my playstyle.

Hands off my playstyle.

Yes, you can buff missiles. But the cutter, corvette, and anaconda can survive more than 47500, (52000 with less resists to thermal) 90000, and 92000 explosive damage each. Buffing the missiles enough to damage this pretty much gives all other ships no place in the meta, since being able to kill something with 92000 health in a reasonable time would guarantee everything else in the game with sub 14000 shields die instantly to missiles.
If the idea is to better counter shields with missiles, the right answer is probably to allow the Reverb effect on them. Or add other effects that allow partial shield bypass. Although I actually quite like the idea of gradually plinking away a stacked Cutter's shield gen using reverb dumbfires.

'Organic PvP' means taking the chance that your loadout may be better than the other player, doesn't it?
A calculated risk...

So, PvP players are as risk-averse as the other groups of players they so fondly take the mickey from, then?
Its not that the loadout is better, it is that the PVP is just not fun. Sort of like encountering a player using premiums, you have to use premiums or be at a slight disadvantage. When everyone uses premiums, PVP becomes less fun.

'Organic PvP' means taking the chance that your loadout may be better than the other player, doesn't it?
A calculated risk...

So, PvP players are as risk-averse as the other groups of players they so fondly take the mickey from, then?
In a perfect world, there would be several viable loadouts and the skill would be deciding.
In the current world, I fly a FAS and can be as good as I want, the meme FdL with thrice the hitpool and more dps just blows me out of the water.

I'm far from risk averse. I don't like to explode, from an ego point of view, especially not in organic PvP. But I risk nothing except a 10 million rebuy.
In prearranged duels I couldn't care less.

The joke in this whole situation is, a Corvette with 60% resistances and 2000 mj of shield strength would still be amply sufficient to kill (nearly) everything in PvE. Toning down of HD boosters would cost the PvEr nothing. But the effect for PvP would be immense, in a positive way.
One would have to take a look at high alpha weapons like frags or thermsl conduit PAs to make them not OP against traders.
But it would cost the PvE side nothing, but would make PvP much more enjoyable and ganking a lot more risky.

Don't think anything needs to be changed here. Large ships have good shield and hull strength but lack manoeuvrability, medium and small ships have worse shield and hull strength but are much faster and can easily outrun and outmanoeuvre a large ship. This allows for two different playstyles and makes combat more interesting.

To compensate for its shield tanking potential, the Cutter has the worst firepower of the big three, and considering that it can also be outmanoeuvred by smaller ships, one or two average PvP builds can easily take it down, provided that their pilots aren't lazy gankers who expect all their victims to not have decent defences. ;)
Yeah, but like I said, even with 200 mostly absolute DPS, the Cutter still takes 30 minutes at the very least of pure shooting to kill it.

I think Boosters are fine. The reason you have 23 minutes of shields is the Cell Banks. Personally I would much rather get rid of the “magic get my shields back” button, which at least would then allow you to make a realistic assessment during the battle of whether your shields are going to outlast your opponents based on DPS dealt so far.

I have another idea. An experimental effect for pvps worst weapon, the beam laser. I call it "Ionic Vibration". Successful strikes from this weapon transfer some of the incoming damage to a shield boosters integrity. The more boosters are active, the stronger the effect. Like regular damage, this effect scales with weapon size and modification.
honestly, all lasers should have the ability to slightly damage shield boosters. Give them a reason and purpose in PVP. If we want to buff beams, give them like 20-30% better damage to the boosters.

Well, does "organic" just mean "people who didn't want to take part and weren't expecting to"? Maybe this is the real problem? :)

My only PvP experience in recent months was when hauling in my Cutter and I noticed another player manoeuvring to get behind me. I throttled down and pitched over to face him and scan. He vanished before my scan completed. I guess he'd seen my A-rated shield, SCBs and all the boosters. In other words: on that occasion having enough boosters was fundamental to my playstyle.

Hands off my playstyle.
Organic is not prearranged.

It can be ganking, it can be like our BGS war against SPEAR in Carcosa, it can be powerplay, it can be piracy.
The target can be willing, or not. In prearranged fights, both participants agree. And it still is - for example - impossible ingame to detect
if your opponent 'cheats' by using premium ammo.

These are factors contributing a lot to ganking. Make PvP shorter, meaningfuler (like bounty boards as reason/method to kill gankers) and more transparent and a big deal of ganking will vanish.

I think Boosters are fine. The reason you have 23 minutes of shields is the Cell Banks. Personally I would much rather get rid of the “magic get my shields back” button, which at least would then allow you to make a realistic assessment during the battle of whether your shields are going to outlast your opponents based on DPS dealt so far.
Still, purely off boosters, I get 600% better shields than regular people without them. Even more considering the 6x boost is onto my base shields, which is also extremely high already. Banks can be cancelled with railgun cascade, shield tanking cannot.

Banks are terrible but can at least be countered somewhat. You can't counter a 6 booster FdL, when every other medium (except the clone FdL) has only 4, and ships like the FAS which are meantvas hybrid/hull tanks need some utility to not totally get rekt by module sniping with multis (chaff) or packhound mission kill (ecm/pd).

Its not that the loadout is better, it is that the PVP is just not fun. Sort of like encountering a player using premiums, you have to use premiums or be at a slight disadvantage. When everyone uses premiums, PVP becomes less fun.
So, you are essentially suggesting that something you want to do isn't fun, so the game should be changed just to make your fun?
Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it? You are not having fun... 🤷‍♂️

The joke in this whole situation is, a Corvette with 60% resistances and 2000 mj of shield strength would still be amply sufficient to kill (nearly) everything in PvE. Toning down of HD boosters would cost the PvEr nothing.
Now that’s simply not true.

I have a Corvette with 2000MJ BiWeaves and 60% resists. I agree, that is largely all you need but it’s by no means impervious ... jump in to a pirate mission USS populated by 9 ships that instantly turn hostile and those shields will evaporate VERY quickly.

Now, I don’t have an issue with that ... those are vastly overwhelming numbers and it is perhaps reasonable that - outside of a wing - I should have to flee sometimes. But the only reason I have those shields is because I’m running multiple boosters (and GSRMs) so reducing the impact those have WOULD absolutely impact me as a PvE player.

So, you are essentially suggesting that something you want to do isn't fun, so the game should be changed just to make your fun?
Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it? You are not having fun... 🤷‍♂️
Come on Ratty, don't troll.
You know he means PvP in general is fun, just no slugfests of 20-30 minutes :rolleyes:

I mean this will make it so said gankers who run 8x shield boosters be killed easier. Or do you want to fly in your 8x shield cutter killing noobs and npcs without any sort of challenge? Honestly you would not even need to refit your shield boosters, an approximately 200% shield increase with 8 boosters is still substantial. You say this benefits gankers, while I say that the people most likely to run low amounts of shield boosters are the gankees.

The reason for this, is I feel so many old-timers want to keep their murderboats with 6x better shields so that people like you can keep ganking and killing people with a massive advantage onto your side.
Outside of when I am leaving an AX CZ, not once, not ever, have gankers tried to interdict me while I was piloting a combat outfit ship. I don't engage gankers with the intent to kill them because outfitting a ship actually capable of that would compromise the purpose of my trade, mining, exploration, passenger, ships too much to keep them truly fit for purpose. What I do is engineer my shields, stack boosters, and run, because I never really had a chance to kill them in the first place. Not unless they were totally incompetent anyway.

Edit. I have killed 2 commanders in 3 years. One on accident with a ram in a CZ, the other must have saw a video of a Vulture taking out an Annie or something, and tried the same thing with my turretboat G5 everything cutter in their unengineered Vulture while I was messing around in a hazres. It was over b4 I even realized I was in a fight. So not a ganker.

Last edited:
Now that’s simply not true.

I have a Corvette with 2000MJ BiWeaves and 60% resists. I agree, that is largely all you need but it’s by no means impervious ... jump in to a pirate mission USS populated by 9 ships that instantly turn hostile and those shields will evaporate VERY quickly.

Now, I don’t have an issue with that ... those are vastly overwhelming numbers and it is perhaps reasonable that - outside of a wing - I should have to flee sometimes. But the only reason I have those shields is because I’m running multiple boosters (and GSRMs) so reducing the impact those have WOULD absolutely impact me as a PvE player.
You said it yourself. Some people in this game have the irritant notion that they are the top dogs and everything should be possible for them alone, even stuff that is meant for wings. This should die in a dumpster fire. Get yourself a wing if you can't kill a threat9 uss alone. It's multiplayer content.

Relying on regeneration on prismatics doesn't work.
Indeed! Planetary systems form quicker than a 9k prismatic shield setup recharges...

Give federal corvette more boom for my buck it. Reds more firepower
NO! The Fed'Vette is already OP as frack, with mamba type agility, class 8 distro and powerplant and 2x C4 hardpoints and convergence to die for, I mean you can drive a corvett between the outer hardpoints on a clipper or a cutter.

Heavy duty shield boosters is the only reason why gankers have their current 6x-8x better shields
Therein lies your answer, gimp the HD blueprint, not the stacking.

Why should other builds be gimped to nix edge case PvP metas? Look at it another way, PvE meta is resistance based mods on genny and boosters, my Vette the INV "Andominous" only has around 18mj of absolute shields, so if you come at me with your 1200 absolute DPS Annie, my shields are gone in 2 seconds and my armour will be eviscerated in a similar time frame.

Top Bottom