Ship interiors as social places, NPCs

This would be beneficial for the players and the developers:
- Your ship, your home - It is much easier for the devs to do this than player owned bases for example.
- ‎Optional interior decorations/furniture etc. - this brings a lot of new things the players would want to play the game and make money for (virtual currency purchases - player motivation). Also introduction of purchasable decorations for real currency (additional income possibility for the devs to justify developing this feature).
- ‎ Walking - I know "space legs" are far far away, but, limit walking to ship interiors only and again it becomes much easier job to do - massive boost for the immersion, fresh activity to break the mould, having to walk to SRVs and SLFs, that brings us to the next point
- ‎Multi-crew - would actually be fun - visiting other ships (teleports in ships where players appear), see their decorations, visual interaction (emotes)
- ‎Telepresence - just get rid of it - replace with "short range" teleportation from destroyed SRVs, SLFs. Then you have to go from the teleport back to your seat. You could even choose to abandon the SLF in emergency without the possibility to teleport back into it (it would just stay floating in space for a while). I'm not saying teleportation explains everything, but Telepresence does feel completely wrong and boring.
- ‎ Hired NPCs - put them physically on board - if nothing more, let them be in a seat and make them walk to SLF. - I would then see Crew Lounge in stations differently. You don't pay for a specific pilot, but pay for access to pilots with the same experience level (and lower, based on how much you pay) on every station (where CL is available). So let's say you pay the initial fee to the organisation (maybe annual fee). The NPC pilot makes his money while on board. At some point you drop him off on another station, you go solo for a bit, then get yourself different NPC (no more fees) somewhere else, but with the same experience. So again, Telepresense not needed. When the mothership gets destroyed, you all escaped with the escape pods. Done.

This would inject so much life into this game. So many future possibilities.
Some would say having to walk to SLF is boring or time wasting, but I would say it is a tactical decision (when flying ship solo): can I afford to go into SLF or should I rather stay save some time and finish/escape the fight? Another advantage for the Multi-crew.

Bonus/crazy features:
Mini games - purchasable, visible piece - Chess anyone? - while on that 40 minute supercruise flight to your destination.
Trust your crew - Can I somehow overpower you and take the ship? Bounty, ship recovery,.. this would be quite wild addition I admit (but David Braben talked about stealing ships once)

Sorry, but especially for SLF it would be stupid if you have to walk to the launch bay.
If you are in a fight you need a fast reaction and walking somewhere - even running costs too much time. And if the fighter gets destroyed you loose your pilot if he were pysically in there.
That brings me to the next point: why do those fighters have a cockpit ? They are remote controlled, no one sits in there. The crewmember controls it from the seat in the main ship, maybe with an oculus like thingie on his head.
But i agree, the crewmember should be in one of the chairs in the cockpit and controlling turrets or fighters from there. Maybe a Holo-Me (or Holo-Crew?) for my employees ?
Buyable ship interior ? Really ? This sounds like something for little kids to get their money. No, not an idea i would support.
Walking around in the ship, yeah nice to have but i don't know if i want this when it is so limited. And as my experience from other games it is so boring if you always have to walk to quest givers or outfitters. This all costs time and is not the walking i want.
What would be nice is to just walk on a planet where no one has been before or expore an abandoned ship.

If you hired an NPC, he would take over the control of the main ship as soon as you leave the seat. Yes you would loose time by walking to SLF, everyone would, but you get an advantage when you use it - you would have to evaluate options and risks. You could send an NPC instead. And I mentioned teleportation, so when the ship is about to blow up, the pilot would be teleported back to the ship. I say that's better than telepresense.
Why walking? Well I could ask: Why deploying hardpoints? Let's just shoot right away with no delay. Why supercruise takes so long? Let me just jump anywhere right away.
Buyable stuff for interiors to further customise your ship? Why not? You don't have to do it, but it's there if you want. Like paint jobs or ship kits. Why would you be against an optional feature that would not affect you in any way? It would make multi-crew more interesting experience.
I never mentioned walking anywhere for quests or shopping.
Walking on the planets? I would love that of course. I thought this would be a decent start/test for it.
I just like to have options. I like variety.

- ‎ Walking - I know "space legs" are far far away, but, limit walking to ship interiors only and again it becomes much easier job to do - massive boost for the immersion, fresh activity to break the mould, having to walk to SRVs and SLFs, that brings us to the next point

Do u know that you can do this now in VR? at least u can get out of your chair and walk around the bridge, look closely at other consoles, etc... no interaction, but its movement outside the seat, and is quite immersive!

The hired NPC sitting in your crew seats... now that is desperately needed. if implemented, you should also be able to hire crew for any ship that has multiple seats, such as Cobra.

Last edited:
Hi WindWpn,
I did not know that. I would love to play this in VR. I will eventually.

NPCs: Yes, I think so too. Now it crossed my mind: If you had two SRVs in the ship, he could go gather some materials with you to cover larger area. That would be useful. Well, as long as you don't leave without him :)

Hi WindWpn,
I did not know that. I would love to play this in VR. I will eventually.

NPCs: Yes, I think so too. Now it crossed my mind: If you had two SRVs in the ship, he could go gather some materials with you to cover larger area. That would be useful. Well, as long as you don't leave without him :)

+Rep

I just spent some time walking around some of my ships in VR after watching some Star Citizen videos... man I wish Elite had space legs!

I'm on PS4 so no Elite in VR for me at the end.
Star Citizen is the only game I would buy top spec PC for, if it delivered. Only time will tell.

Top Bottom