Sidechat

Anyone else here interested in Cryptozoology /SpecEvo?
Ive always found the topic very fascinating, less in that i think bigfoot and co exist and more in the what might have inspired those legends.
Ive been binge watching Thought Potatos youtube videos the whole day.
He has this fun series where he explains cryptids and folklore creatures in a biological plausible way. Mothman as huge owls, mermaids as a branch of aquatic hominins, chupacabras as canines infected by a spezific virus and manticores as giant weird baboons as a few examples. I can really only wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone with even a slight interest in the topic.

Guys I need some ideas
I’m thinking of building an area from a well-known preferably New England zoo for my next lego project. I was thinking of either the Bird’s World at Franklin Park zoo or the Troptical building at Roger Williams. Anyone else got any ideas?

Anyone else here interested in Cryptozoology /SpecEvo?
Ive always found the topic very fascinating, less in that i think bigfoot and co exist and more in the what might have inspired those legends.
Ive been binge watching Thought Potatos youtube videos the whole day.
He has this fun series where he explains cryptids and folklore creatures in a biological plausible way. Mothman as huge owls, mermaids as a branch of aquatic hominins, chupacabras as canines infected by a spezific virus and manticores as giant weird baboons as a few examples. I can really only wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone with even a slight interest in the topic.
I’ve had a slight interest in the subject. I remember playing Poptropica as a kid, and one of the adventures that you could play was “Cryptids Island.” In this story, a cryptid-obsessed millionaire who’s slowly losing his funds holds a contest: whoever brings back concrete evidence of a cryptid wins a million dollars, but a woman has been putting the lives of the other contestants in jeopardy so she can claim the prize. Fearing the worst, the millionaire asks you to find the cryptids first to end the contest ASAP so no contestant or cryptid gets hurt. The story focuses on four cryptids: bigfoot/yeti, the Loch Ness Monster, the chupacabra, and the Jersey Devil. You discover all four and stop the woman from capturing bigfoot and making money off of him. You then turn down the prize money to ensure that the millionaire has enough resources to protect bigfoot.

We also have a cryptid of our own here in Florida: the Skunk Ape, a sort of smaller “subspecies” of bigfoot. We’ve also got:
  • Sanibal Sea Serpent: Face of a sea otter with a body of a giant snake.
  • Wampus Cat: Large panther-like cats with six legs, green eyes, and occult powers.
  • Muck Monster: Our own sort of Loch Ness Monster that inhabits Lake Worth Lagoon in Palm Beach County.
  • Mahamba: A giant crocodile that’s twice the size of a normal croc.
  • St. Johns River Monster
  • Florida Sea Devil: Kinda like a giant monstrous manta ray? It’s not as well known.

I’ve had a slight interest in the subject. I remember playing Poptropica as a kid, and one of the adventures that you could play was “Cryptids Island.” In this story, a cryptid-obsessed millionaire who’s slowly losing his funds holds a contest: whoever brings back concrete evidence of a cryptid wins a million dollars, but a woman has been putting the lives of the other contestants in jeopardy so she can claim the prize. Fearing the worst, the millionaire asks you to find the cryptids first to end the contest ASAP so no contestant or cryptid gets hurt. The story focuses on four cryptids: bigfoot/yeti, the Loch Ness Monster, the chupacabra, and the Jersey Devil. You discover all four and stop the woman from capturing bigfoot and making money off of him. You then turn down the prize money to ensure that the millionaire has enough resources to protect bigfoot.

We also have a cryptid of our own here in Florida: the Skunk Ape, a sort of smaller “subspecies” of bigfoot. We’ve also got:
  • Sanibal Sea Serpent: Face of a sea otter with a body of a giant snake.
  • Wampus Cat: Large panther-like cats with six legs, green eyes, and occult powers.
  • Muck Monster: Our own sort of Loch Ness Monster that inhabits Lake Worth Lagoon in Palm Beach County.
  • Mahamba: A giant crocodile that’s twice the size of a normal croc.
  • St. Johns River Monster
  • Florida Sea Devil: Kinda like a giant monstrous manta ray? It’s not as well known.
Im always more interested in how the legend or cryptid came to be.
Germany doesnt really have any cryptids, we mostly got just silly folklore characters like gnomes and stuff. One however is really interesting to me, the wolpertinger which is mainly a rabbit/hare with antlers but is sometimes also depicted with wings and or a beak. America has a similar creature in the jackalope. Why its pretty cool imo is that its sortof based in science.
There is a virus that effects rabbits and causes them to grow keratinous tumors around their heads, and when those grow large enough they look remarkably like horns.
So imagine your walking through a forest and see a rabbit infected with this stuff, you would be forgiven for thinking you saw some kind of mystical antlered rabbit creature.

Wolpertinger.jpg
rawImage.jpg

Germany doesnt really have any cryptids, we mostly got just silly folklore characters like gnomes and stuff. One however is really interesting to me, the wolpertinger which is mainly a rabbit/hare with antlers but is sometimes also depicted with wings and or a beak. America has a similar creature in the jackalope. Why its pretty cool imo is that its sortof based in science.
There is a virus that effects rabbits and causes them to grow keratinous tumors around their heads, and when those grow large enough they look remarkably like horns.
So imagine your walking through a forest and see a rabbit infected with this stuff, you would be forgiven for thinking you saw some kind of mystical antlered rabbit creature.

View attachment 382413View attachment 382414
What abominations are those?!

There's quite a few interesting cryptids in scotland that has brought my interest to the wider world of mythical animals
  • Kelpies - Dangerous water horses that frequent lakes and rivers. Some places under bridges and walls near rivers may have a painting of a white horse to remind those of the folklore. Still rather unknown of the origins as it is tied to ancient celtic gods or beliefs but a common knowledge amongst locals around fast flowing rivers to never sleep near the river in case one catches you - in reality the rivers can sweep you away due to rapidly changing river height.
  • Loch Ness Monster - The iconic monster of Loch Ness may be a plesiosaur lurking in the loch (lake) but its a common source of dummy rubber monster sightings or just a stray piece of driftwood. Definitely our most famous mythical animal.
  • Selkies - Basically seal-mermaids who can shape shift into a human form on land. Never read too much into this one but at least they are friendly!
  • Haggis - I take pride in taking part of the country's hoax of playing along that haggis remains a real animal. Who knows maybe the small tiny rodent like animals do really roam in the Highlands. Actually the animal is part of folklore but it eventually caught on that an annual haggis hunt takes place to serve up the delicious haggis every year.

Guys I need some ideas
I’m thinking of building an area from a well-known preferably New England zoo for my next lego project. I was thinking of either the Bird’s World at Franklin Park zoo or the Troptical building at Roger Williams. Anyone else got any ideas?
I would say bird world would be cool! The outside having a Chinese theme is gonna be fun! The hard part will be buying Lego birds to fill the areas. I would do a detachable roof too, or maybe let the building be taken apart.

View attachment 382413View attachment 382414
I just looked it up. It’s called the shope papilloma virus. I also made the mistake of looking at pictures of the infected rabbits.

just went to a reptile expo and held a cuvier's dwarf caiman and a boa constrictor. the snake felt weird to hold, like rubber and leather had a baby. and no, I did not get a pet, but I wanted to, maybe in the future.

Awesome! I had the chance to hold a baby caiman two years ago, also at a expo. Its a really special experience
yea it is, makes me kinda like the cuvier's dwarf caiman being in the game and fells it was a worthy addition over a now much more needed African croc, emphasis on kinda. (The dwarf caiman is not bad just is a little disappointing in the grand scheme of planet zoo.)

someone should make a Lego Idea for planet zoo (not me though, I choose life), like maybe the planet zoo logo and a buildable thing like an elephant, lion, or guest or maybe you build a habitat for one of the animals.
also anyone up to take my challenge in the Finale DLC Pack: Appropriate Number of Animals post (this selfish plug was brought you by Mr-Hyrax Incorporated®)

Ok, I gotta question! So in the NA, in accredited facilities, all our reticulated/Nubian (Rothschild’s) giraffes are hybrids. None of what the AZA considers "generic giraffes" look solely like reticulated or Rothschild’s giraffe, but
blend of the two. But I was looking at pictures from my trip to the ZSL London Zoo, and what they claim to be Rothschild’s giraffes, look like actually Rothschild’s giraffes. I looked at some other zoos in the UK and their Rothschild’s giraffes also have the characteristic dark brown patches, with no resemblence to the reticulated giraffes' pattern. Are Rothschild’s giraffes and reticulated giraffes in the EAZA not interbred/hybrids? What about in Oceania?

I'm curious because I like to get into the nitty-gritty when organizing animals for my zoo life list!

Ok, I gotta question! So in the NA, in accredited facilities, all our reticulated/Nubian (Rothschild’s) giraffes are hybrids. None of what the AZA considers "generic giraffes" look solely like reticulated or Rothschild’s giraffe, but
blend of the two. But I was looking at pictures from my trip to the ZSL London Zoo, and what they claim to be Rothschild’s giraffes, look like actually Rothschild’s giraffes. I looked at some other zoos in the UK and their Rothschild’s giraffes also have the characteristic dark brown patches, with no resemblence to the reticulated giraffes' pattern. Are Rothschild’s giraffes and reticulated giraffes in the EAZA not interbred/hybrids? What about in Oceania?

I'm curious because I like to get into the nitty-gritty when organizing animals for my zoo life list!
Cant say for sure, but seems possible.
Could be a similar situation to tigers, where a bunch of them are hybrids.
I also now this from the reptile keeping hobby, where there are alot a hybrid boa constrictors since especially back in the day people just threw everything together that looked vaguely boa.

Top Bottom