Sidechat

You guys ever get woken up by turkeys? There was one in my neighbor's yard gobbling away this morning. If you've never heard one they're actually probably louder than you'd expect.
Turkeys were exterminated from Longview, but I swear that I did hear them one morning. Most likely domestic, or they had escaped and were in the woods somewhere...

What is actually scary is being waken up by a fox. Oh, and bullfrogs if you've never heard one before or you're extremely tired and not thinking

View attachment 391430
Now those are greasy burgers. Made a little sauce by combining honey mustard, BBQ, and a tiny bit of ketchup. Adds a bit of tang to the already seasoned patties. Dang, now I'm gonna get my 3rd...

I didn't do it this time, but many times I also slightly toast the buns on the same Skillet as the patties; the grease and spices coat the buns and give added flavor
Congrats, now I’m craving burgers too 😅😂🤣
I usually do a mixture of half ketchup half yellow mustard, it makes a real good sauce for burgers, and even fries too.
I got a special sauce aswell for burgers, it's made by squeezing a bottle of ketchup to flood the burger 😂
Believe it or not, a diner in my hometown serves a burger called the “Italian Burger.” It’s not as special as it sounds, but it’s still good. It’s just a burger with ham and provolone. If you can find an opportunity to make it at home, I encourage it.

Here are some of the circle things I've been making. Lots of experimentation and nothing remotely finished yet, just brainstorming ideas for my zoo. The theme is going to be Tree of Life so I've got a logo and I want a lot of tree / organic shaped architecture, lots of curves and feminine touches, lots of mystique and all very delicate and pretty. I hope.

Logo (approx 8m diameter to sink into floors and feature walls):

View attachment 391580

Street lighting:

View attachment 391581

Work in progress entrance, a huge central tree with branches coming off. There will be a huge dome around it eventually or some kind of circular roofing, those are ticket booths wrapping around the edges:

View attachment 391582

with some peeps for scale:

View attachment 391583

Unfinished ticket booth:

View attachment 391585

This is an experiment that went wrong, or that I have abandoned for now at least. I was trying to do something with circular roof parts at different angles, but ya know, stuff. Each of those circles is about 2000 pieces. Will probably delete it all.

View attachment 391586

Oh, and this? This is Dolores.

View attachment 391587

Here comes Dolores people, and she is ready to help you figure out the height of things in your zoo. She's got her merch, her curls and her best dress on, her trusty pink umbrella and her favourite teddy bear and she is READY. TO. ZOO. She likes walks on the beach, froggies and complaining about the view of things. She's giving guest-height realness to help plan out the height that things need to be at for guests. Dolores baby! Her girlfriend works in the zoo as a caretaker.

I needed something to help me scale stuff to the right height and uh, Dolores just happened to me.
What else can you tell us about Dolores?

Anybody know a good audio mixer so that I can mix together animal sounds to kinda sorta make dinosaur sounds?

And keep in mind I'll need to be able to download said SFX. I'm tryna make SFX for the species in the novel/game, just for immersion
I actually remember seeing an instagram reel in which a video of a toucan call was slowed down. It sounded something like a dinosaur. Maybe you can do that. Just slow down bird noises.

And then I’m here thinking carbonation in a drink is an abomination…
I don’t think it’s an abomination. I just don’t like it. On the scale of things that come close to abominations (the higher up it is, the closer it is to an abomination), carbonated beverages are a few spots lower than pickleball, and pickleball is leagues below things like high taxes and Dan Schneider.

No turkeys were i am but we got a pond in our garden and its currently breeding season for toads. Its quite an orchestra every night 😂
You guys ever get woken up by turkeys? There was one in my neighbor's yard gobbling away this morning. If you've never heard one they're actually probably louder than you'd expect.

In Vietnam there was a huge racket every night, SO LOUD - it took me ages to figure out it was the frogs in the temple pond at the end of the street! I also got woken up at night by what sounded like power tools, turns out it was like a hundred longhorn beetles hatching and chewing their way out of my wooden furniture 😅 god I miss that place

In Vietnam there was a huge racket every night, SO LOUD - it took me ages to figure out it was the frogs in the temple pond at the end of the street! I also got woken up at night by what sounded like power tools, turns out it was like a hundred longhorn beetles hatching and chewing their way out of my wooden furniture 😅 god I miss that place
Oh man, that sounds wild, The only thing close to that I have is being woken up in the middle of the night by fighting raccoons in the trees next to my window, which I think I've talked about on here before.

Ages ago we were talking about our local areas - well I thought I'd share the most unusual oddity about my local area and it is animal-themed.

First a bit of history. So you know how in Game of Thrones every place has its sigil? Well I live in Ely (pron: eeel-y), full name the Isle of Eels, and in GoT terms we are the eel people. We freaking love eels here, so much that we build statues of them:
1000019744.jpg

As I've mentioned before it is a marsh, all underwater until the Dutch figured out how to drain it, except for this little place up on a hill where a medieval Queen built a cathedral, now famous and known locally as "The Ship". That hill became the Isle of Eels and, right up until the early 1900s, you could pay your taxes here in eels.

Every spring we have an Eel Festival, where we parade a huge crafted eel from the cathedral down to the river, and have lots of eel themed fun.
1000019755.jpg

Yeah its nuts. I just love how weird it all is. Here are some pics from my weekend:

Learning about our local river fishies, including some live eels of course:
1000019745.jpg

Sadly they were out of jellied eels, my friend was so disappointed:
1000019750.jpg

This artist paints eels and someone has made a children's story about them (I'm jealous they cut me to the chase, but maybe I'll do my own one anyway) :
1000019747.jpg

1000019753.jpg

1000019748.jpg

An olde style eel basket

1000019749.jpg

Rollin w my homies, husbo on the left there. It is a damn pretty marshy backwater town.

1000019742.jpg

1000019743.jpg

We had a eely good time (sorry, sorry...)

Ages ago we were talking about our local areas - well I thought I'd share the most unusual oddity about my local area and it is animal-themed.

First a bit of history. So you know how in Game of Thrones every place has its sigil? Well I live in Ely (pron: eeel-y), full name the Isle of Eels, and in GoT terms we are the eel people. We freaking love eels here, so much that we build statues of them:
View attachment 392080

As I've mentioned before it is a marsh, all underwater until the Dutch figured out how to drain it, except for this little place up on a hill where a medieval Queen built a cathedral, now famous and known locally as "The Ship". That hill became the Isle of Eels and, right up until the early 1900s, you could pay your taxes here in eels.

Every spring we have an Eel Festival, where we parade a huge crafted eel from the cathedral down to the river, and have lots of eel themed fun.
View attachment 392090

Yeah its nuts. I just love how weird it all is. Here are some pics from my weekend:

Learning about our local river fishies, including some live eels of course:
View attachment 392082

Sadly they were out of jellied eels, my friend was so disappointed:
View attachment 392083

This artist paints eels and someone has made a children's story about them (I'm jealous they cut me to the chase, but maybe I'll do my own one anyway) :
View attachment 392085

View attachment 392086

View attachment 392087

An olde style eel basket

View attachment 392089

Rollin w my homies, husbo on the left there. It is a damn pretty marshy backwater town.

View attachment 392091

View attachment 392092

We had a eely good time (sorry, sorry...)
What an odd animal to make your areas mascot and dedicate holidays to, but im all here for it :D

I guess they were just so important to our history and survival for so long. There is eel stuff literally all over the city (smallest city in England). The taxes thing really amazed me when I learned it. Wish we could still do that 😅 although not really bc we need to protect eels, they are critically endangered now. Their life cycle is genuinely interesting, it was only recently discovered that the European eel and the American one that breeds in the Sargasso sea are the same species. They undergo metamorphosis to make the epic journey across the ocean and they have weirdly long lifespans, one lived to be 85 in captivity!

What an odd animal to make your areas mascot and dedicate holidays to, but im all here for it :D
Whatchu talking about? That's the best mascot! I mean, Houston doesn't even have a single mascot:
For the Houston Rockets, it's Clutch the Bear
For University of H, it's a cougar, buy instead of using a new name, they always go with Shasta (I think we're at Shasta VI)..

Don't even get me started on Houston Texans. Or the Houston Dynamo...
So unoriginal, honestly

Whatchu talking about? That's the best mascot! I mean, Houston doesn't even have a single mascot:
For University of H, it's a cougar, buy instead of using a new name, they always go with Shasta (I think we're at Shasta VI)..

So unoriginal, honestly
My home town doesnt even have one :D
We are just "known" for an artist that used to live here that noone knows about unless your really into art and a famous (in germany anyways) brand of candy, but even that isnt produced here anymore 😂

So unoriginal, honestly
Honestly, considering Houston's various nicknames, I think names/mascots could've been more creative...
We're known as the Space City, Clutch City, Bayou City, H-Town...

Oh man, a cottonmouth would've been hilarious and cool, but only for nerds like me

Top Bottom