SleepyDelegate's Chronicles - taking the DBX around the Galaxy

So yesterday I was learnign how to fly with my HOTAS...

At first, I was a bit sceptical, because I thought the PRO version was the right choice and I thought the non PRO version will be some cheap wobbly d!ldo without enough precision to control the ship... But I was wrong... :) Even the non pro version is very good! My first impressions:

The stick:
the joystick provides very little resistance, but not too little to allow for an unintended movements... It is just about correct amount of resistance...Precision is VERY good!

The throttle:
the throttle is very nice in terms of smoothness and resistance, providing very nice and fluid control of thrusters, with noticable click when exceeding 90% (I guess) and going below 10% (I guess, I did not check the values)

The buttons:
the buttons are somewhat average at best... Not bad, but not great...

The software:
first issue was downloading the correct drivers. Logitech does not bother with proper description of their drivers and their "Automatic OS detection" provides less than accurate results... It did detect Windows 10, but did not detect whether it is 32 or 64 bits, resulting in me constantly downloading wrong drivers. So I decided to manually select the correct ones, but the problem is, LOGITECH does not provide this information in their description. As a result, i had to download multiple versions of drivers and find the correct ones using trial and error method...
Second issue was the software itself. It is very counterintuitive. Yes you find your way around eventually, but I've seen much better. Obviously, their UI designer was from different tribe than I... But you do not probably need the software to configure the controls in ED that much. You just need the drivers and then the game has its own set of bindings...

The bindings:
I have run into several difficulties, as a lot of things is not bound and there are also some issues when working with the standard bindings for X52 and with Voice Attack software... I spent couple of hours just fixing stuff to make sure it works properly... Still long way to go though, as some stuff will be only possible to fix with some experience gained after longer play time...

So how does it fly?
Great! It was like I was born for joystick :ROFLMAO: and the joystick fits me like a glove... Flying the ship is just amazing in VR with this stick... Driving the SRV with this stick is also much much better! Everything just improved dramatically... Not in terms of precision (although in case of the buggy there is a huge improvement in the throttle control), but in terms of how natural it feels...

I started with some training missions, to make sure I do not crash my own ship... For the first 30 minutes, I was just overwhelmed with the amount of buttons... I was just pressing them randomly, trying to figure out what each one does... Maybe there is a way to export the bindings from the game, i dunno... But eventually, i did figure out enough to give me confidence to get back to my ship...

Leaving the planet I parked on last night was a massive pleasure... It is just so great to control the ship in a proper way!

BTW... That training mission I took, I played in non VR and I swear, I cannot go back to non-VR... :)

9t2tna6e3zq11.png

Leaving the planet I parked on last night was a massive pleasure... It is just so great to control the ship in a proper way!

BTW... That training mission I took, I played in non VR and I swear, I cannot go back to non-VR... :)
Hahaha, sooo true! A statement all VR users agree. Now if there were ways to tackle multi-monitor thingy to open couple extra clear windows inside cockpit which are actually readable, there won't be any need to fly non-VR, at least for me.

I was looking at the full specs of HP Reverb G2. Quite impressive. I can see why you have little screen door effect than the Rift S. The dual displays for both eyes does make a huge difference and not to mention increased resolution. Now let's see, when my Rift S is 'accidently' going to stop working.... :rolleyes::cautious:

Hahaha, sooo true! A statement all VR users agree. Now if there were ways to tackle multi-monitor thingy to open couple extra clear windows inside cockpit which are actually readable, there won't be any need to fly non-VR, at least for me.

I was looking at the full specs of HP Reverb G2. Quite impressive. I can see why you have little screen door effect than the Rift S. The dual displays for both eyes does make a huge difference and not to mention increased resolution. Now let's see, when my Rift S is 'accidently' going to stop working.... :rolleyes::cautious:

I think first get the Reverb G2, then your Oculus can be accidentally donated to someone else... :) Just to make sure it will get to you in a timely manners, not like me, waiting 4 months...

I was following the VR for years, actually from the first hint of Oculus being developed... But for some reason, I never actually pulled the trigger, despite my friends buying different headsets... Rift being probably the most popular...

Regarding the experience every VR user agrees: when pancake playing in 4K or even UHD, the picture quality is noticeably higher compared to VR... Even thought the Reverb G2 has high per eye resolution, due to optical laws and how the picture is actually being prepared, the quality will never match 4K or UHD... But it is not bad either... But what gives you total immersion is the true scale and depth... That is something I did not expect to get to me that much... It makes me truly forget that I am just sitting in front of a computer... And the thing I complained about - wallpaper like Galaxy - I no longer see it... When I am in VR, I am in space... I love it! (y);)

And one thing I remember you saying - that the picture is too bright and maybe the stars are kind of overexposed - just lower the alpha setting in Graphics. That solves it...

Last edited:
I think first get the Reverb G2, then your Oculus can be accidentally donated to someone else... :) Just to make sure it will get to you in a timely manners, not like me, waiting 4 months...
It is too big of a purchase to go unnoticed by wife's radar you see, unless 'accident' occurs. :ROFLMAO:
Despite of me explaining the very best possible way I could, she never understood why someone would strap an 'electronic device' so close to eyes and brain. I had to leverage Christmas gift to get approval for the Rift. :cool: I thought once get it and she tries it it would change her mind. But sadly she felt sick within seconds and forcefully removed the VR from head never to try again. It only solidified her dislikes of VR.
She does not know what she is missing. :rolleyes:

Regarding the experience every VR user agrees: when pancake playing in 4K or even UHD, the picture quality is noticeably higher compared to VR... Even thought the Reverb G2 has high per eye resolution, due to optical laws and how the picture is actually being prepared, the quality will never match 4K or UHD... But it is not bad either... But what gives you total immersion is the true scale and depth... That is something I did not expect to get to me that much... It makes me truly forget that I am just sitting in front of a computer... And the thing I complained about - wallpaper like Galaxy - I no longer see it... When I am in VR, I am in space... I love it! (y);)
I only hope 'Holodeck' becomes a reality in my life time which should theoretically offer graphics quality. :)
My Rift S resolution is not great but acceptable to me at this stage as it does not diminish the feeling of scale. Where it gets annoying sometimes is when approaching stations, planet hubs etc and see quite a bit jagged lines. Out in the black it of course is not that big issue.

And one thing I remember you saying - that the picture is too bright and maybe the stars are kind of overexposed - just lower the alpha setting in Graphics. That solves it...
Do you mean the Gamma settings? I am not sure which one is Alpha settings under ED Graphics.

It is too big of a purchase to go unnoticed by wife's radar you see, unless 'accident' occurs. :ROFLMAO:
Despite of me explaining the very best possible way I could, she never understood why someone would strap an 'electronic device' so close to eyes and brain. I had to leverage Christmas gift to get approval for the Rift. :cool: I thought once get it and she tries it it would change her mind. But sadly she felt sick within seconds and forcefully removed the VR from head never to try again. It only solidified her dislikes of VR.
She does not know what she is missing. :rolleyes:

I only hope 'Holodeck' becomes a reality in my life time which should theoretically offer graphics quality. :)
My Rift S resolution is not great but acceptable to me at this stage as it does not diminish the feeling of scale. Where it gets annoying sometimes is when approaching stations, planet hubs etc and see quite a bit jagged lines. Out in the black it of course is not that big issue.

Do you mean the Gamma settings? I am not sure which one is Alpha settings under ED Graphics.

I understand, it is quite a purchase, especially when you also need to upgrade your PC to get some decent FPS... The way I explained it to my wife was, that I am participating in some secret government program, disguised as a game, where I am actually controling an exploration drone that is out there flying and exploring the real space and the money I am spending are in fact government money... :cool: Then she hit me with a frying pan and then I do not remember exactly what happened, but since that day, I do not where my credit card is and I no longer can open our safe... 🤔

And yeah, I meant GAMMA setting, but I refuse to call it GAMMA, that is way below beta and alpha... It is not manly enough... I call it ALPHA... ;)

once you've sorted your bindings, print them out as a reference: makes it much easier to remember.

once you've sorted your bindings, print them out as a reference: makes it much easier to remember.

I just found out, that the game offers help with almost every binding... You are being shown on almost every screen what controls what... :)

Parking for the night today brought me to the surface of this planet, where I have discovered this beuatiful valley with this hill that I simply could not resist climbing. In VR it was quite an experience, especially the downhill ride, where the slope was reachin -70 degrees....

One of the disadvanteges of VR is taking pictures, so sorry for lower than usual quality... ;)

Screenshot_0038.jpg

Screenshot_0040.jpg

Screenshot_0044.jpg

Screenshot_0045.jpg

One hell of an allignement... :)

Screenshot_0064.jpg

This system has 4 Water Worlds orbiting in pairs... Nice... (I didnt turn in the data yet, so if someone beats me to it, I will be sad... :) )

Screenshot_0063.jpg

No other major discoveries so far...

I am struggling with the HCS voice pack and Voice Attack a bit... It sometimes forgets the key bindings... The bidnings work, but Voice Attack cannot activate them... It is specifically related to left, middle and right screen... When I say "Navigation". it should openn the left screen with the navigation tab... It works in 85% of cases, but then sometimes I fire up the game, say Navigation, and Orion confirms Navigatio, but nothng happens... When I then press the corresponding key on the keyboard, it works, but Voice Attack cannot use it... So Ii have to go to ED settings, assign the same key again and then it starts working properly... Weird...

Also, the "Expolrer mode" got me in trouble... When you turn it on, it is supposed to scan the system upon entry... Among other things... Instead, when I entered the system, it turned on the DSS and because I do not have "Safe entry" enabled, I was heading full speed into the star, looking helplessly at the big glowing ball as it was rushing towards me, through the DSS lens... Surely enough, i was not able to leave the DSS fast enough to prevent plummeting into the exclusion zone, damaging my ship in nthe process... No more Explorer mode for me...

Today I have come across this interesting system...

Wlof Ryet N star + Herbig Star + O star...

Screenshot_0075.jpg

What cought my attention though, was this white spot on the right side of the system map...

Screenshot_0078.jpg

First, I though it is just some distant galaxy, but it seemed bit too bright... So I tried to get closer, but hit the limit of the system map...

What happened next shocked me... That thing started changing shape... I took just a couple of pictures to illustrate it:

Screenshot_0079.jpg

Screenshot_0080.jpg

Screenshot_0081.jpg

What is it?? And how do I itarget it? How do I locate it in the system?

Last edited:
Two hours ago I said I wish there was a system where there is a stellar body close to a B super giant... And I just found one...

Class B Super Giant with a CN Wolf Rayet star... On the pictures below, I positioned my ship, so that they are both roughly 1700ls away from me, so their size can be directly compared...

View attachment 181479

View attachment 181480
This is brilliant exploration and I love your enthusiasm! Long may you love being an Explorer! 😘

This is brilliant exploration and I love your enthusiasm! Long may you love being an Explorer! 😘

That is a first online kiss I got for my exploration activities... 😊 I guess I'm blushing...

Thank you very much for your comment! I guess E:D exploration will never cease to bring satisfaction to my heart... Until real space exploration becomes a viable option... :)

I wish you all the best! 🌹

That is a first online kiss I got for my exploration activities... 😊 I guess I'm blushing...

Thank you very much for your comment! I guess E:D exploration will never cease to bring satisfaction to my heart... Until real space exploration becomes a viable option... :)

I wish you all the best! 🌹

Bless! Thank you for the rose! 😘

There are plenty of wonderful sights to see in ED! I hope you find many while on your travels!

Fly Safe o7
Susie

What is it?? And how do I itarget it? How do I locate it in the system?
I suspect it's just an artifact of the VR rendering of the system map. It looks like a stellar prominence, only it isn't attached to the star.

As a graphical glitch of the system map, it won't be visible or targettable anywhere else.

Seems like the game is trollig me recently... o_O

Today I came across this beautiful Wolf Rayet, accompanied by O Type Giant...

Screenshot_0089.jpg

I select the giant and turned my ship to see how big it is and how far it is... And there is something blocking its light!

Screenshot_0090.jpg

So I went to investigate...

Screenshot_0091.jpg

And closer...

Screenshot_0092.jpg

... and closer...

Screenshot_0093.jpg

...hmmm... just another glitch... :sneaky::rolleyes::unsure:🙃

Those who are familiar with these remnants of some magnificent stellar fireworks know, where I am headed...

Screenshot_0112.jpg

I was hoping to find some NSPs in this nebulae, but there was only a black hole and A type star... Beautiful nevertheless...

Screenshot_0113.jpg

My trip is reaching its climax... After three months in the void, I have finally reached my destination...

Screenshot_0117.jpg

Surprisingly, I was not alone... Some tourists in their luxurious liner, looking at me through the tinted windows of this Beluga... I flew in a formation for a while, admiring the magnificence of the Beluga as it quietly and sublimely floated in space... It was mesmerizing, after being alone for so long...

Screenshot_0120.jpg

I headed back to the tourist beacon in hopes to get some data out of it, but I either forgot how to do it, or there is nothing to scan...

Screenshot_0125.jpg

I decided to take advantage of nearby fleet carrier... Docked, repaired my ship, refueled, entered hangar and called it a day... After sleeping on a bunk bed for months, I am certainly looking forward to take a hot shower and spend a night more comfortably...

Screenshot_0129.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom