So, frame-rates since the patch, how are yours?

Odyssey brings the whole on-foot graphics to the table. I think the tricky part is that FDev had to unified the "outer-space" one (Horizons) with it.
They probably thought it would be un-maintainable to split the engine in two pieces.

On foot graphics is totally irrelevant in space.
BTW there are planetary surfaces in Horizons as well, rendered (in my case at something like 160 fps with everything on Ultra) from roughly the same perspective as the on-foot stuff in Odyssey, and it's not looking bad at all. They could have just kept that.

Yeah, it’s still strangely CPU limited:I found I could keep a steady 60fps in a settlement if I used 0.85 SS with normal upscaling with the CAS set, but only if I limited FPS to 60.
No stuttering either, except a small glitch on arrival.

i7 4790k gtx 1080, 16gb ram

So far it seems better for me, I don't have a counter running but it's smooth all the time without a single stutter or frame drop... only tried a few settlements yet though

Until I tried running it twice multitasking with both my CMDRs, it used to tolerate that but now it doesn't seem to, keeps locking up...I guess that was never really supported anyway.
Further play reveals that some settlement types still have a bit of stuttering, around the lasers at mining sites for example. Still an improvement overall so far.

If the technology were a reality, and you could have thousands of players in one place at a time, it could turn into an EvE-like MMO, but in full 3d. I've just given myself excitement palpitations at the thought of it, i'm off to have a cold shower to calm down. (But that would be truly awesome)
Careful there friend, mentioning EvE has led to extended stays in Hotel California in the past...

Why would it be a miracle? What 22nd century level graphics quality gain has Odyssey to offer in exchange for such a huge performance loss in places like open space, rings etc?

Because all I can see is a considerably worse quality in Odyssey, AND you even lose half of your frame rate. Great product indeed.
I am talking about the miracle of getting from 30 to 144 FPS in a single update. That is simply not going to happen. An increase of 50% is not too bad, let's hope it doesn't stop there.

I get ~220fps (1440p ultra, no FSR) in the main menu hangar on my 3950X + RTX 3080 setup...still dips down to a steady, CPU limited, ~45 fps or so around some settlements.

The moment you get what you want (working SLI), you'll get smacked across the teeth with the big elephant shlong in the room...a poorly threaded renderer in an engine with a broken game loop.
CPU limited with on of the fastest gaming CPUs around, after 8 updates.
What can I say Frontier …

I was talking about the engineering side, not the player's one
That 'engineering side' has already been in existence since Horizons, with pretty good fps.
Which was to be expected, since the scenes Elite: Dangerous needs to render on planetary surfaces are nowhere near as complex as, for example, the city in Cyberpunk.
Still you can have better fps in Night City with ray tracing enabled than in Odyssey settlements, which is frankly hilarious.

If the technology were a reality, and you could have thousands of players in one place at a time, it could turn into an EvE-like MMO, but in full 3d. I've just given myself excitement palpitations at the thought of it, i'm off to have a cold shower to calm down. (But that would be truly awesome)
20210919011309_1.jpg

I noticed they hugely downplayed the performance increaseyness of update 8 on the leadup to the release of update 8. I distinctly remember them suggesting update 8 would bring big improvements before update 7 went live. "Big", I assumed, would be noticeably closer to Horizons performance, because at some point the improvements have to big enough to run on potatoes.

anyone tried setting the option FX QUALITY to OFF? A bit weird but I gain a lot of FPS especially on surface stations. I'm doing some more testing right now.
Currently on the ground at a high metal content world (no atmosphere) an frame rates running between 90 and 100 fps. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll leave it "off" for the moment.

I just did a "fast as hell" fly around near the surface (lots of texture on this world) and watched the FPS meter while trying not to fly into the ground. I'm getting between 60-80 FPS depending on detail after setting lots of settings to MEDIUM, frame rate limit to OFF*, anti-aliasing is now OFF, texture filter now TRILINEAR, supersampling at 1.0. Upscaling is locked at NORMAL (no other options available with some of the settings marked "off" or "medium"), terrain quality and sampler quality both at MEDIUM, material quality ULTRA, terrain work slider at middle (50% I guess), volumetric at ULTRA.

*frame rate limit on my PC doesn't use FPS ranges; it uses 60, 90, 120, 144, 300 Hz. I must confess I'm not sure how to interpret that into frames per second but at the moment it's turned OFF.

Getting better frame rates doing this "flying around like a banshee" to have detail flying under the ship and getting better frame rates at the moment, only I really hate setting anything to less than Ultra like I had under Horizons. All they had to do was add atmosphere to certain planets. I didn't expect it to break everything. I can live with it but I shouldn't have to. Oh well.....

That 'engineering side' has already been in existence since Horizons, with pretty good fps.
Which was to be expected, since the scenes Elite: Dangerous needs to render on planetary surfaces are nowhere near as complex as, for example, the city in Cyberpunk.
Still you can have better fps in Night City with ray tracing enabled than in Odyssey settlements, which is frankly hilarious.
Easier said than done

While i said that my FPS improved, sometimes up to 50%, U8 also reduced GPU load.
Which means that now my RTX3080 laptop is running rather silent while GPU is between 71 and 79°C

However, there is still work to do. There is a lot more room for improvement and the FPS drops are still present in certain settlement, although - for me at least - not as dramatic as in U7

My own experience so far is that planet surfaces minus any settlements nearby have gotten a little better, at small settlements a truly miniscule improvement when on foot (so small that i wonder if it's my imagination) but every other location, largely the same as before. At a settlement i can just about scavenge for things, but couldn't really have a firefight. My buggy is still the worse method of experiencing low frame-rates, and still gives me motion sickness from the 'clash of the titans-esque' stop motion effect.
Exactly my experience too.
<30FPS is not playable for combat and not acceptable on hardware that can play Cyperpunk at the same resolution and get 45FPS.

Over 5 months since Odyssey's release and it's primary feature - on foot game play in settlements - is still not playable for me.

As this was billed as the update with big focus on improving performance and it's delivered none I've now lost all hope and have stopped caring about this game.

I guess it's too late to ask for a refund ( despite the fact I've probably only played a couple of hours in Odyssey since it's release - most of that was spend playing with settings to try and make it playable ).

Well, probably they shouldn't have separated them in the first place.
Sorry, I misread you. This is getting too much off-topic. Let's save this for another thread.

You mean, they should have improved the existing Horizon's surface engine for Odyssey. I hear you. But I dunno if it would have fitted for the "shooting / settlement" part of OD

Top Bottom