So, frame-rates since the patch, how are yours?

I didn't test Odyssey settlements, but I didn't get much more than 45FPS at any point during my test last night. Though it isn't the performance that is putting me off, it is the still present lighting and shadow issues. Oh, and the constantly shifting planet surface when travelling over it at speed (it is not rendering quickly enough).

Bit off topic, but I just leave this here for a fellow 2060 user. They actually have rtx on.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkE7YAIgXjo

And yes, yadda yadda no galaxy apples, oranges, and whatever else people can think of, but please think about it. That is with raytracing ON. You know, the stuff that melts a 2060 normally.

Ah, my son has been very interested in that (He only has a 1600) but was wary because of the Avengers game. He's still thinking about whether to get it.

Ah, my son has been very interested in that (He only has a 1600) but was wary because of the Avengers game. He's still thinking about whether to get it.
Deus Ex died for this, it better be a good game :D

As for the actual performance of Update 8, check empty planets, and I think you'll see that your 2060 can pull more then its fair share. Something is very very wrong with EDO settlements, and especially CZs.

I had 120 fps on the empty side of a planet, before I flew to a CZ. It is really weird.

As mentioned in another thread:
  • Horizons: 100+ FPS @ 3440x1440 native resolution (SMAA antialising, x1.25 supersampling)
  • Odyssey Update 7: 30-45 FPS @ 3440x1440 native resolution (no antialiasing, no supersampling)
  • Odyssey Update 8: 45-50 FPS @ 3440x1440 native resolution (no antialiasing, no supersampling)
Not enough to convince me that there's anything worth waiting for any more, so I'm done.
So you got from 30 to 45 = 15 FPS. That's an increase by 50%.

I understand that you are expecting better performance after such a long time, but 50% is quite substantial.

So you got from 30 to 45 = 15 FPS. That's an increase by 50%.

I understand that you are expecting better performance after such a long time, but 50% is quite substantial.
It's not enough, and not even in the same ballpark as Horizons.

If they'd fixed some lighting issues then I might have been convinced it was worth sticking around for.

But they've had plenty of time, and I've got better things to do than wait indefinitely for Frontier to sort their **** out.

Using a GTX 1050 Ti, i7 3770, 16GB Ram, running at 1080p

Good News:-

FPS improved significantly with Station Concourse, Planet Plant Scanning and Planetary Ports concourses. So much so I was able to move from Low to Mid Graphical quality. My Clipper mow lands on the ground again (Yeah).

Bad News:-
When entering a planetary settlement, the FPS drops down to 15-20 fps on Mid Quality. Had to drop it back down to Low in order to get the FPS above 30.
There seems to be a drop in the fps numbers the longer I play. After an hour I was getting 20 fps on a station concourse. Restarting the game seemed to reset the FPS to 40-50.

However, even with the Bad News, it's better than update 7.

Using a GTX 1050 Ti, i7 3770, 16GB Ram, running at 1080p

Good News:-

FPS improved significantly with Station Concourse, Planet Plant Scanning and Planetary Ports concourses. So much so I was able to move from Low to Mid Graphical quality. My Clipper mow lands on the ground again (Yeah).

Bad News:-
When entering a planetary settlement, the FPS drops down to 15-20 fps on Mid Quality. Had to drop it back down to Low in order to get the FPS above 30.
There seems to be a drop in the fps numbers the longer I play. After an hour I was getting 20 fps on a station concourse. Restarting the game seemed to reset the FPS to 40-50.

However, even with the Bad News, it's better than update 7.
Whats still annoying (for me at least) is how random performance is. Its all over the place and what works at one moment is totally different later on if I return that area.

It's not enough, and not even in the same ballpark as Horizons.

If they'd fixed some lighting issues then I might have been convinced it was worth sticking around for.

But they've had plenty of time, and I've got better things to do than wait indefinitely for Frontier to sort their **** out.
Performance is never going to be as good as Horizons. Anyway, as I said, I understand that you are disappointed but you can't expect miracles.

Deus Ex died for this, it better be a good game :D

As for the actual performance of Update 8, check empty planets, and I think you'll see that your 2060 can pull more then its fair share. Something is very very wrong with EDO settlements, and especially CZs.

I had 120 fps on the empty side of a planet, before I flew to a CZ. It is really weird.

Yeah, smooth as butter away from settlements.

On the whole the framerates are better. Still the odd drop in settlements, but it's no where near as bad as before and a solid 60fps in station interiors (no issue with glass anymore).

But I did have other issues in a settlement. There were guards asking to scan me, and I couldn't see them, they were basically a level above me and they weren't in my sight and I wasn't in their sight.

So I was unarmed, and they called for reinforcements and basically murdered an unarmed person. I think the behaviour and AI really needs a bit of an enhancement in places.

Just switching between FSR settings and turning it on/off will gradually tank performance until its <20 no matter what setting. Its a mess.
The FSR settings are totally bugged yeah. It disables itself secretly and randomly, while the menu keeps saying "it's enabled". You got to regularly and manually re-enforce it.

Ryzen 9 / RTX 3060 / 32GB mem / SSDs / 21:9 screen. Running on high with basic SMAA, directional shadows at max, bloom and blur off, draw distance 80%, little bit of texture work slider.

60 FPS capped everywhere. Sometimes drops a bit when looking down from high up in a ship onto planets surface.

Planet terrain have stopped flashing and look better - also draw faster from orbit down.

They need to alias plants at distance and plants and rocks seem to ‘pronounced‘ at a distance in value compared to surface - ie no apparent light bounce on objects at distance.

No stutters - quite smooth. Haven’t tested settlements or stations cos soooo far away.

Been getting 60+ fps on atmospheric planets now, sometimes up to 80fps. For me it's in an area that's comfortable. Yes the grid lines are still there, but there was sometimes a flash that accompanied them and that seems to have gone. I haven't played around with graphics settings yet but I have most things turned up high, I don't use AMD graphics stuff, previously that made little difference and just made the text harder to read. Of course experience will vary depending on your card itself.
Yeah, I hadn't played with any graphic settings yet since 8 dropped so I may fiddle with them later on today. Still looking over the forum through suggestions for newer settings. Will update my experience if necessary.

So far it seems better for me, I don't have a counter running but it's smooth all the time without a single stutter or frame drop... only tried a few settlements yet though

Until I tried running it twice multitasking with both my CMDRs, it used to tolerate that but now it doesn't seem to, keeps locking up...I guess that was never really supported anyway.

Top Bottom