So will 3.0 be Exploration expansion?

What do you think?
Now that aliens are in, we should have atmos landings next right?

hehe. That's the spiirit Commander :D

I think the expansion of exploration content is more likely to be a stepped evolution - a progressive growing, of things to find, over time - rather than as a one off, big bang 'this is the exploration expansion'. (There's also zero point in FD including things to discover in the patch notes .. because then it becomes 'find' rather than 'discover' so it's sure to come in under the radar).

Atmosphere Worlds .. phew. Looking forward to it, though meanwhile, enjoying the game we have rather than looking too far ahead, aka Carpe Diem. +1 though.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I think that Exploration mechanics should be at the top of the list for what comes after 2.4 (whatever it may be called), but I don't think that means Atmospheric Landings. I know it's in the top 2 and I'll keep banging on about it until they expand them :D

But as others have said there's 2 major points:

1. We'll find out what's happening in 3304 next weekend
2. There's still so much being discovered and yet to be discovered in the update that was only released 3 days ago!

Don't concentrate on the finger!

[video=youtube_share;lM4n1Jntqw0]https://youtu.be/lM4n1Jntqw0?t=10s[/video]

What do you think?
Now that aliens are in, we should have atmos landings next right?

There is no way to know in advance, FD has been very hush hush about their (expansive) Frontier Expo.

I know one thing : while I'd love to see new exploration gameplay mechanics (honk - jump was getting old even BEFORE official launch !!!), it won't be enough.

I'd love :
1) stuff to find (and a lot of it)
2) dangers (*yes*, I'd love to have to combat in deep space, using the new repair limpets, synthesis and my srv to find the mats to repair)
3) new goals (like bringing back enough rare chemical components to build some new weapons / technologies)

To me, anything less than this (new goals / new gameplay mechanics / new things to find) won't cut it. The only reason why E D hasn't lost me as a customer already is the lack of competition (Star Citizen PU is still 2 years away if ever). I'd like to stick around but frankly, more pewpew and Thargoïds vaporware won't encourage me.

verminstar

Banned
I truly hope to be sold on what I hear at their October expo...because as it stands now, this game is a placeholder because theres nothing else out there that comes close. However, I wont be buying into a new season if its another mystery tour...if exploration ddnt get some TLC soon, its game over because the overall direction appears to be pew pew only with a few shared crumbs fer everything else.

I could be sold because I do genuinely love this game, but its upto frontier to give the sales pitch and so far, Im not sold on another season like the last one...absolutely not gonna happen ^

Landings on the atmospheric planets would bring an enormous extra dimension to the game. But I think it's too early

Yes ... and no.

I mean : new 3D models and textures won't fit the bill. Personally, I'd even say this is not my priority. What I need is new things to do, and new ways to do them. I'd rather have that with semi-decent graphics than beautiful sexy cut scenes masquerading as gameplay.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't potentially drooling over a beautiful alien cloudy sky. ;)

There is not going to be an "exploration expansion," there are going to be patches to improve the base content, which includes exploration. No ETAs, no guarantees of course.

I mean, we do know it will be about core gamemechanics so it won't be just about exploration. Exploration should count as core gamechanics tough, so fingers crossed its part of it.

I mean, we do know it will be about core gamemechanics so it won't be just about exploration. Exploration should count as core gamechanics tough, so fingers crossed its part of it.

Oh but I'm sure it will : maybe some mp3 player coming with the route plotter ;)

Or a new type of exploration ship doing less than the ASP with less modules slots ? Who knows ? We all know how creative FD can be.

It's too soon for atmospheric landings, the game isn't ready for that yet. And one important part of getting it ready is indeed new exploration mechanics and content. Atmospheric planets won't do us much good if there isn't anything to do with them, and you just need to look at the current anemic deep space planet landings to see that. Once exploration is in a good place with meaningful engaging mechanics, THEN they can add and flesh out new things like volcanic worlds, gas giants, and yes atmospheric planets, not to mention giving us things to actually do on the current planets we can already land on.

All I'll say is this: exploration better fracking well be next on the development list after 2.4. How long can a major aspect of the game go neglected? It's been three years so far, it's time to begin working on it.

Top Bottom