[SOLVED] [Linux] Journal files

Hi everyone!
Alright so the game works fine with the latest Proton version, but I can't seem to find my journals anywhere.
I like to save my progress on EDSM, being a part of DW2 and all that, so that's a real bummer for me. I've found some files called NetLog.XXXXXXXXXX.XX.log (with X being numbers), but EDSM doesn't read them, even with the old importer.
Any idea about something I'd have missed? Cause if i can't get my journals to work with EDSM, I'll have to go back to Windows...

Try running a search script. Journals have a naming pattern so that shouldn't be too hard to find. Depending on your drive seize that might take a while though. But once you found the dictionary you can go there again.

Try running a search script. Journals have a naming pattern so that shouldn't be too hard to find. Depending on your drive seize that might take a while though. But once you found the dictionary you can go there again.

I should've mentioned I did that already. I found nothing in this format : Journal.XXXXXXXXXXX.XX.log
I even tried looking for anything that contains the word "journal". I only found system files, or other software files.
As I mentioned, the closest thing from the journals I found was the NetLog files, but there's no info in them. None exploitable by EDSM I mean.

Well I am currently having issues with my system but I'll tell you once I got it to work where they are if I found them. Until then I can not help you, sorry.

Thanks for that. I just thought about something from reading totally unrelated topics, maybe the way wine launches the game doesn't give it write permission on the right folder.
I'll have to try it out once I'm home, I'll let you know.

Edit: OK I've put every "Saved Games" directory I've found so far in 777 mode to test my theory and no luck, so it must be something else...

Last edited:
Alright so the game works fine with the latest Proton version, but I can't seem to find my journals anywhere

Ohh I'm very interested in this post because I didn't know that the game already works under GNU/Linux. A query: are you playing it through Steam?

Thank you !

Edit: Could it be that the files are in a hidden folder? It would be in the path: /home/your username/.local/share/

To view the hidden folders CRTL+H or F8 -although you'll know this-.

Last edited:
I am playing through Steam, it's been working great so far.

So, what I did so far:
  • Try to find all files containing the word "journal" using the "locate" command (and yes I did an updatedb before using it);
  • Try to see if some "Saved Games" folder exist. There are some in a few places, I set them all to 777 rights to see if that did anything, but nada. All of them are empty too.
  • Write a small script that checks which files are opened by the Elite Dangerous process. Played 5 minutes with it running, no journal file to be found.
Here's the list of Saved Games folders I found:
Code:
/home/my_username/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton 3.16-8 Beta ED/dist/share/default_pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved Games
/home/my_username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/Logs/Saved Games
/home/my_username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.2/dist/share/default_pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved Games
/home/my_username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/my_username/Saved Games

I'm running out of hope here...

[Edit] OMG I just found the answer...
For me creating the directories in "/home/kiel/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved Games/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/" worked, I finally have my journals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom