Sound in ED

I like the sound in ED. I would like to see a seperate weapon sound adjustment in audio options though. I also feel the sound of multi cannons seems a lot quieter compared to the other weapons since I've returned recently, an impression I've never had before.

I feel headphones with good low end really help pull me into the experience compared to cheapie desktop speakers I sometimes use.

As someone who used to be involved in creating industrial music and using lots of samples with machinery etc I really love the background ambience of some of the docks. Its really wonderful.

Sometimes when your really tired in that place that borders exhaustion and dream and your not sober it can even be super creepy. One night I was in such a state wearing headphones and kept hearing knocking on my bedroom door and yelling come in without thinking about it after 3 times I ripped off my headphones like what and looked outside the door and nobody there, nobody was even home, got super creeped out, when I went back to the game I realized it was some kind of semi repetitive industrial knocking on the background ambience sound loop! Excellent stuff, and to much onionhead lol.

I use to think fuel scooping sounds were super creepy. Like the dead whispering into your ear.

Last edited:
I usually play ED with steel serier arctis 7 headphones, with virtual surround enabled.

As you guys already said the sound enviroment is gorgeous. No other game comes close in my opinion. Just turn music completely off, and use your own when needed.

There is no sound effect that feels wrong, everything sounds just as expected and helps immersion greatly.

Onboard Realtek HD
Logitech Z-5300 5.1

Sounds amazing but I get in trouble if I turn it up to 3. :confused:

2 ways for me:

Asus xonar dgx + audio technica ag1x (for voice attack) + dolby headphone for fake multichannel: This is actually a disappointing setup and i don't recommend it. You need to define a custom eq for those headphones, because the flat response out of the box is so underwhelming its actually bad. It could be just this model is a dud, because the m50's at the demo station didn't seem to have any of the poor characteristics. Having said, it was fun tweaking a good eq and it was possible to come up with something decent, but in hindsight some real sennheisers or the m50s would be a better choice considering the (even discounted electronics) price.

Logitech Z-Cinema 2.1's: I got these about 10 years ago now, and can't bear to retire them. They're amazing 2.1's. Back in the days when logitech dared to make more interesting speaker hardware. I've bought other pc 2.1's over the years and they haven't come close.

Oh elite. I remember for the first 3-400 hundred hours, i was awestruck as everyone is with the in game soundtrack. At some point afterwards though, it fell off a cliff and i can't stand it. I play various kinds of ambient music from youtube as background instead.

As far as effects goes, i've always had trouble getting it to sound the best in my pc centric audio setup. The benchmark i use is boost noises and the witchspace animation sounds.. if you can get these sounding substantial and not tinny, thats where you want to be, but somehow its really easy not to achieve. The bass somehow gets lost.. or not included in the 2 channel mix.. the only tip i can give is.. regardless of how good you think the other modes sound, the audio setting you want to get sounding good via your hardware is "FULL RANGE".

2 ways for me:

Asus xonar dgx + audio technica ag1x (for voice attack) + dolby headphone for fake multichannel: This is actually a disappointing setup and i don't recommend it. You need to define a custom eq for those headphones, because the flat response out of the box is so underwhelming its actually bad. It could be just this model is a dud, because the m50's at the demo station didn't seem to have any of the poor characteristics. Having said, it was fun tweaking a good eq and it was possible to come up with something decent, but in hindsight some real sennheisers or the m50s would be a better choice considering the (even discounted electronics) price.

Logitech Z-Cinema 2.1's: I got these about 10 years ago now, and can't bear to retire them. They're amazing 2.1's. Back in the days when logitech dared to make more interesting speaker hardware. I've bought other pc 2.1's over the years and they haven't come close.

Oh elite. I remember for the first 3-400 hundred hours, i was awestruck as everyone is with the in game soundtrack. At some point afterwards though, it fell off a cliff and i can't stand it. I play various kinds of ambient music from youtube as background instead.

As far as effects goes, i've always had trouble getting it to sound the best in my pc centric audio setup. The benchmark i use is boost noises and the witchspace animation sounds.. if you can get these sounding substantial and not tinny, thats where you want to be, but somehow its really easy not to achieve. The bass somehow gets lost.. or not included in the 2 channel mix.. the only tip i can give is.. regardless of how good you think the other modes sound, the audio setting you want to get sounding good via your hardware is "FULL RANGE".
I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm happy to hear that because I shortly considered getting Audio Technica cans before going down the Sennheiser road. ;)

I still use Sennheiser PC 360 (which use the same driver as HD598) paired with Sound Blaster Z and like I said, sound in ED is just pure awesomeness.

Alas, both my GF and I use open cans, and since I love it loud, I set myself on the search for closed cans and while doing my research on the Net, I stumbled upon the Sennheiser Outlet in which they sell their stuff at substantially reduced prices, so I decided to get a GSP 600, together with GSX 1000.

If I won't be happy with the GSP 600, she'll get them. Either way, she finally won't be able to hear my sounds. ;)

I could read and hear nothing but praise in reviews of the GSX 1000 and I'm very curious to find out how will it pair with ED.

Headphones on Oculus Rift CV1 are top-notch. Loads of bass as well as detail. I think the Oculus software must do something clever with transforming surround sound to binaural because sounds do seem to be correctly positioned in the 3D world.

Headphones on Oculus Rift CV1 are top-notch. Loads of bass as well as detail. I think the Oculus software must do something clever with transforming surround sound to binaural because sounds do seem to be correctly positioned in the 3D world.
My CV1 suffered from the Right Headphone Issue because of that poxy ribbon. I miss those headphones. Good and so convenient!

I use the Odyssey+ headset audio in VR or my studio monitor system which is a pair of PSI A25-m midfield monitors connected to a Dangerous Source DAC/Monitor controller. (my gaming rig is also a DAW in my home studio)

Sound is definitely amazing. Is there any way to swap out the music to your own tracks?
I was already in bed when I replied yesterday, and today at work I found that it is possible and here's a reply from FD's support regarding that matter.
I couldn't find on the net how to actually do it, I'll have to come home and try it myself.

I use onboard audio, and have a decent set of desktop speakers with a subwoofer. When on headphones, I'm using some variant of the hyper x cloud (they're about two years old, not sure what version). Obviously , I'm not an audiophile but I do think Elite's sound is very good. Ships for the most part have unique sonic signatures, which is cool. Most of the other sounds in the game are really terrific at setting the "atmosphere." Only complaint are limpet cargo dropoff sounds--very repetitive, especially when mining in a T9.

I have the in-game music switched off too - everything except the blue danube and even then I rarely use autodock. I would like to be able to disable the background musac played in the Codex & other newly added menu areas, hopefully that'll arrive with some future QoL update.

I made my first SRV outing recently for a salvage mission. Apart from getting it stuck under the Cobra, I heard this absolutely sublime piano piece. It reminded me of Tony Banks solo stuff. Amazing work on the music as well as sfx.

I could read and hear nothing but praise in reviews of the GSX 1000 and I'm very curious to find out how will it pair with ED.

That device will be doing 2 things for you basically (anyone smarter than me feel free to correct), first is the headphone amp, and probably more importantly, providing the engine that will be translating a multi channel audio source into a stereo output (for your headphones) thats spaced as far apart as your ears and has all those sources magically positioned in it..

I think its foremost a subjective test on which algorithm produces the most pleasing results. The choices you have today are pretty much SBX pro studio surround (i think used to be thx subsequently improved), dolby headphone, and of course sennheisers one. If you're searching for reviews, the surround engine comparisons are probably your best bet, as the rest is just spec and features.

make sure your windows audio source to just 2 channel / stereo for any of these comparison vids if you already have existing hardware that does it.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CDgwtVcbg

I have it going through my PreSonus FireStudio Mobile, which I use for all sound. I have it because I do live music streaming on the weekends, and it has enough inputs and outputs for my show.

That said, I don't usually run the sound very loud when I'm playing ED, because my house is very quiet and I don't like my sound up too much. I also don't care for music while I'm playing, which I know is a bit unusual, but I keep it off.

Anyway, that's what I got.

I play on Xbox which is set up on my living room TV. The TV has awful mid range sound, and the acoustics of the room make it worse lol. Regardless, i played like that for a few months, and then i got headphones...... I could not believe the difference. Sitting in the Corvette, and just hearing the low rumble running noise of the massive beast brought back memories of taking huge ferries when i was a kid. The sound really helps the immersion so much.

I also think that they did fantastic work with the Thargoids. They made them sound so ominous and menacing. lastly, I hope that they make a full sized guardian ship. Those fighters are the best sounding and most intense to fly in the game, I need more of it!

Deleted member 182079

D
Onboard sound but mostly play with a pair of Bose QC15 noise cancelling headphones. Sometimes with a cheap stereo desktop speaker hooked up to my monitor.

Would love VR and proper surround sound, maybe, some day. Until then, TrackIR and the above will have to make do (and is still pretty immersive to be fair).

That device will be doing 2 things for you basically (anyone smarter than me feel free to correct), first is the headphone amp, and probably more importantly, providing the engine that will be translating a multi channel audio source into a stereo output (for your headphones) thats spaced as far apart as your ears and has all those sources magically positioned in it..

I think its foremost a subjective test on which algorithm produces the most pleasing results. The choices you have today are pretty much SBX pro studio surround (i think used to be thx subsequently improved), dolby headphone, and of course sennheisers one. If you're searching for reviews, the surround engine comparisons are probably your best bet, as the rest is just spec and features.

make sure your windows audio source to just 2 channel / stereo for any of these comparison vids if you already have existing hardware that does it.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CDgwtVcbg
Thanks, I did my homework and I know what I bought, down to the chips used in the GSX 1000. :)

So far I have found only 2 reviews on YouTube that I (somewhat) trust and I don't trust any of the actual YouTube recordings, because things can go wrong on so many levels. One most important is that they don't use headphones for recordings.

Audio is very subjective. I've read reports from people that sent the Sennheiser back and I've seen people say that Creative sucks.

Blowing away the fine veil of dust from this thread for an update: decided to make a little jaunt to a thrift store this morning to search for a "new" tank for turtle copilot, I found the tank but (most importantly for the thread) I also found something other of interest, literally abandoned in a corner of a showcase amidst the usual bunch of multimedia paraphernalia commonly found in such stores:
s-l1000.jpg

For 133 €, I just couldn't left them gathering dust in that showcase (currently sold for 212 € on Amazon Italy)...more so when at the check-out I discovered the actual price was brought down to 100 €, since the thing was sitting there since the start of May!
Completely intact, in their full package and with the full complement of accessories (3 meters cable, additional coiled one, 3.5-6.3 mm adapter and cloth bag). Tried on the fly with my smartphone (FLAC Pink Floyd's "Echoes" greatest on a LG G7 ThinQ's remarkable DAC), sounding like a dream come true.

Mind you, as I wrote at the start of this thread I don't have any particularly high end audio gear on my desktop pc, so I wasn't sure the ancient X-Fi could drive properly a pair of 62 Ohm studio-quality speakers, without additional amplification. Luckily it does, even though I'm pretty sure these beasts are still performing well below their true potential if plugged to some proper equipment.

A bit of EQ adjustments, I launch Elite, go into options, "Full Range" audio and DTS enabled.

I've been playing Elite for 1700 hours, but it's like I started to really play only this evening. This is the Oculus Rift but for ears. Holy mother of all that's holy, the tiny Bose earbuds sounded crisp, clear and overall very good, but this, this is something different. Was parked at Palin in my Viper (engineering updates for the coming BRC race), took off and flown a bit around the base; literally every little creak of the hull, every little click and buzz and humming of the ship's system, the glorious Viper's growl, not overwhelming above every other sound like in every other speaker I've had until now (Bose aside maybe), but still definitely there and well spaced in the audio environment.
Then I got back to space and around a Coriolis, and tried a bit of FA Off, and there I was literally blown away by the audio experience. What a flawless job the audio team made with this game.

Also, how on Earth could someone leave such a pair of headphones, and in that pristine condition, abandoned in a thrift store...not the first time I make some kind of bargain in such places, but this time I feel like I definitely got lucky!

Top Bottom