Spring 2024 DLC Speculation

On the topic of frogs, I've been working on a PZ2 roster concept with a greatly expanded exhibit roster and I included 4 frogs in the base game:
  1. Australian Green Tree Frog
  2. Cane Toad
  3. Oriental Fire-Bellied Toad
  4. Yellow-and-Black Poison Dart Frog
All four of these are very common in zoos, are visually distinct from each other and represent multiple continents, biomes, and climates. Either way I think all four represent common archetypes in frogs for zoos: tree frog, large toad/bullfrog, temperate species, and poison dart frog. The only other common archetype missing here would be a fully aquatic species like a clawed frog or Lake Titicaca frog, which I would say is the fifth main frog type.

Or this is truly their last DLC... What's interesting is they flat-out acknowledged in the comments that there's a "small update" with "bug fixes" coming alongside it. I don't know that they've ever acknowledged that kind of thing in the past.
Yeah... I was shocked to see frontier actually answer the question for once and it seems it made matters worse than calm any fears.

On the topic of frogs, I've been working on a PZ2 roster concept with a greatly expanded exhibit roster and I included 4 frogs in the base game:
Interesting. Would like to see your vision.
Also why it is just 4 new frogs, without single species from first game. Or all of them are in and these frogs are additions on top of that.

Interesting. Would like to see your vision.
Also why it is just 4 new frogs, without single species from first game. Or all of them are in and these frogs are additions on top of that.
I basically completely changed the exhibit roster for the base game since most of the species aren't even common in real zoos and we are missing ton of the basics so honestly it made more sense to just start from scratch. I'll post it all on the forum eventually once it's done but it'll take a while since the concept goes beyond just the roster.

I basically completely changed the exhibit roster for the base game since most of the species aren't even common in real zoos and we are missing ton of the basics so honestly it made more sense to just start from scratch. I'll post it all on the forum eventually once it's done but it'll take a while since the concept goes beyond just the roster.
Yeah the goliath frog is easily the weirdest one, since they dont breed in captivity and had a perfect alternative right there. That alternative would be the african bullfrog, which is also an enormous african frog, but is common in captivity and since its an stationary ambush predator it barely moves, making it a perfect fit for the exhibit

I had another dream about PZ. We got the next DLC, announced just through a forum post with crappy concept art and a link to a video on YT. It was an animal pack with 4 deer species (marsh deer, pudu, huemul, elk), a vicuña, Palla's cat, arctic hare and some weird solenodon mole burrowing thingy for the WTE exhibit. It came along with an update that introduces mutations in small mammals with wacky fur patterns and shape and size variations in ear shape, horns and other stuff like that. And it sparked a debate about of this was or not our final DLC.

As the Deladysigner's top 100 popularity list shows, exhibit Herptiles are not favored by general players (Axotol is the only exhibit Herptile made in the list), so a DLC full of exhibit snakes will likely be the worst-selling DLC. However I agree the Herptiles in the game are still insufficient, especially no any Asian amphibian, snake and turtle/tortoise currently, the African Crocodile, Oceanian amphibian and turtle/tortoise, European snake and lizard are also missing.
For Oceanian amphibian, which one do you guys prefer, White's Tree Frog, Cane Toad or Southern Corrobee Frog? White's Tree Frog is probably the best-known Oceania native amphibian, and widely kept as pet. Cane Toad is the most popular one among these 3, very common in worldwide captivity, and fills the gap of toad but it is a notorious invasive species in Oceania. Southern Corroboree Frog has the best conservation value among the 3, it is critically endangered and another success of captive conservation, but it is very tiny (might be very hard to find since the terrarium tank in the game is too large for 3cm creatures) and only kept by Australian institutions (realistic gangs outside of Australia don't like)
Oh yeah the stale box captive unflexible and extremly low quality exhibit animals are not popular, what a shocker
Allmost like the whole system is kind of

Is there any theory regarding the JWE DLC=Steam data being updated? I thought I saw someone say so yesterday and I'm not sure if we will get any news today.

Is there any theory regarding the JWE DLC=Steam data being updated? I thought I saw someone say so yesterday and I'm not sure if we will get any news today.
The jwe2 database was updated a couple weeks ago I believe and now we have the dlc announcement, planet zoo always follows the pattern by being about a week or 2 afterwards for the database being updated.

"external_8" was two weeks ago, I'd guess it's equivalent to the "review" branch. "outsource_lqa" was 5 weeks ago.

Planet Zoo's "outsource_lqa" still hasn't updated, which gives a bit more than a month notice.

I'm decently sure the two aren't connected, this time last year was DLCs for both games releasing a few days apart.

Yeah the goliath frog is easily the weirdest one, since they dont breed in captivity and had a perfect alternative right there. That alternative would be the african bullfrog, which is also an enormous african frog, but is common in captivity and since its an stationary ambush predator it barely moves, making it a perfect fit for the exhibit
I think that if you look at the exhibit roster it's not hard to see that regarding mostly arthropods their criteria was the size.
We got the largest spider, the largest frog, the largest centipede, the largest scorpion, the largest cockroach, the largest beetle. Basically they just made a list of what species were the largest in the world. Otherwise there is no reason why they would pick the titan beetle or the goliath frog, both of which have never been bred in captivity (we have never seen titan beetle larvae).

Meanwhile for the snakes I am almost certainly sure they just picked the deadliest. Like the rattlesnake, the puff adder and the brown snake are the deadliest/most agressive species in NA, Africa and Australia respectively.

In terms of overall exhibit representation I think the following species would be great to have: (gonna group per continent)
Africa. The dryer regions of Africa are a bit lacking, but the most iconic critters come from the rainforests.
- A chameleon. Literally the second most requested exhibit animal after the cobra, it's so absurd we haven't got one yet.
- Madagascar hissing cockroach. Super iconic bug, and we already have a cockroach as base.
- Gaboon viper. Idk if it's just me, but I think the Gaboon viper is like the second most known snake in Africa after the black mamba.

Asia. The region that is lacking the most is India, with only the forest scorpion, an animal from China/Japan is definitely needed as well.
- Spectacled cobra. Everyone constantly asks for the king cobra and I get it, it's a really cool animal, but I find the spectacled cobra to be more charming and way more fitting for the exhibit format.
- A stag beetle. Call me a nerd but I know stag beetles and horned beetles have a lot of cultural significance in Japan, I think getting one of these would be great to have an exhibit representative for Asian themed sections.
- Atlas beetle. A very impressive species from SEA, while the Japanese horned beetle is also cool, the Atlas beetle is much more impressive and cool looking.
- A softshell turtle. Softshell turtles are strange looking creatures, they look cool, and they are heavily threatened by hunting.

Europe. I personally don't think that Europe needs that much exhibit representation, while we definitely have some charismatic critters I do think that the salamander, the tortoise and the newt are enough. I will mention some cool species though: European tree frog, Olm, European pond turtle, and praying mantis.

North America.
Same as Europe. Although.... Crayfish of the Mississipi...........

Oceania. Oceania still has a lot of small critters I would like to see.
- Frilled lizard. Definitely the animal I'm missing the most when I'm making exhibit sections from Australia.
- Spiny devil. The second lizard I'm missing the most.
- Weta. A giant weta from NZ would be really nice to have, it also brings grasshopper representation.
- Lord Howe stick insect. Stick insect + an amazing conservation tale.

South America. Always found interesting how the vanilla exhibit roster is so heavily SA oriented... Were they trying to compensate the lack of SA habitat animals? We will never know, what we know is that there are still a lot of cool exhibit animals from SA.
- Emerald tree boa. Super iconic and beautiful green snek.
- Mata-mata turtle. This weird looking fellow is definitely something I would love to have in the game, they are just so funky.
- More poison frogs. Why don't we have more? I literally had to make a mod to have the yellow-banded, strawberry and azure poison frogs which are literally reskins.
- Argentinian horned frog. This frog.... It's like. THE FROG. we need it they are so derpy looking.

I will also mention that in general more lizards like a gecko and a basilisk are reaaaaaaaaally needed.

Last edited:
I think that if you look at the exhibit roster it's not hard to see that regarding mostly arthropods their criteria was the size.
We got the largest spider, the largest frog, the largest centipede, the largest scorpion, the largest cockroach, the largest beetle. Basically they just made a list of what species were the largest in the world. Otherwise there is no reason why they would pick the titan beetle or the goliath frog, both of which have never been bred in captivity (we have never seen titan beetle larvae).

Meanwhile for the snakes I am almost certainly sure they just picked the deadliest. Like the rattlesnake, the puff adder and the brown snake are the deadliest/most agressive species in NA, Africa and Australia respectively.

In terms of overall exhibit representation I think the following species would be great to have: (gonna group per continent)
Africa. The dryer regions of Africa are a bit lacking, but the most iconic critters come from the rainforests.
- A chameleon. Literally the second most requested exhibit animal after the cobra, it's so absurd we haven't got one yet.
- Madagascar hissing cockroach. Super iconic bug, and we already have a cockroach as base.
- Gaboon viper. Idk if it's just me, but I think the Gaboon viper is like the second most known snake in Africa after the black mamba.

Asia. The region that is lacking the most is India, with only the forest scorpion, an animal from China/Japan is definitely needed as well.
- Spectacled cobra. Everyone constantly asks for the king cobra and I get it, it's a really cool animal, but I find the spectacled cobra to be more charming and way more fitting for the exhibit format.
- A stag beetle. Call me a nerd but I know stag beetles and horned beetles have a lot of cultural significance in Japan, I think getting one of these would be great to have an exhibit representative for Asian themed sections.
- Atlas beetle. A very impressive species from SEA, while the Japanese horned beetle is also cool, the Atlas beetle is much more impressive and cool looking.
- A softshell turtle. Softshell turtles are strange looking creatures, they look cool, and they are heavily threatened by hunting.

Europe. I personally don't think that Europe needs that much exhibit representation, while we definitely have some charismatic critters I do think that the salamander, the tortoise and the newt are enough. I will mention some cool species though: European tree frog, Olm, European pond turtle, and praying mantis.

North America.
Same as Europe. Although.... Crayfish of the Mississipi...........

Oceania. Oceania still has a lot of small critters I would like to see.
- Frilled lizard. Definitely the animal I'm missing the most when I'm making exhibit sections from Australia.
- Spiny devil. The second lizard I'm missing the most.
- Weta. A giant weta from NZ would be really nice to have, it also brings grasshopper representation.
- Lord Howe stick insect. Stick insect + an amazing conservation tale.

South America. Always found interesting how the vanilla exhibit roster is so heavily SA oriented... Were they trying to compensate the lack of SA habitat animals? We will never know, what we know is that there are still a lot of cool exhibit animals from SA.
- Emerald tree boa. Super iconic and beautiful green snek.
- Mata-mata turtle. This weird looking fellow is definitely something I would love to have in the game, they are just so funky.
- More poison frogs. Why don't we have more? I literally had to make a mod to have the yellow-banded, strawberry and azure poison frogs which are literally reskins.
- Argentinian horned frog. This frog.... It's like. THE FROG. we need it they are so derpy looking.

I will also mention that in general more lizards like a gecko and a basilisk are reaaaaaaaaally needed.

Mata Mata mentioned
MFW
1710245818262.jpeg

I know this is PZ forum and bias is expected, but some people take it to whole next level.
Sounds like superiority complex is slowly developing.
Or it's just an opinion.

Although I'm biased I guess :LOL: Not only do I think PZ is the best zoo game of all time(and has been that way for over 2 years), at least for me, but it's very possible it's the best game of any kind of all time, again at least for me.

Europe. I personally don't think that Europe needs that much exhibit representation, while we definitely have some charismatic critters I do think that the salamander, the tortoise and the newt are enough. I will mention some cool species though: European tree frog, Olm, European pond turtle, and praying mantis

My former local zoo had common toads and I liked seeing them during my visits, so I would like to get them in the game.

Asia. The region that is lacking the most is India,
The leopard gecko is essential for me too!

Saint Helena used to have the largest Earwigs in the world (8cm long, longer than the poison dart frogs), sadly they've been extinct for half a century. By the time they thought of them for zoos, they just couldn't find any.

It would've been nice if there was a tiny island population still around, like with the Lord Howe Stick Insect, but I guess you only get so many second chances.

I had a prophetic vision, the next dlc will be the Water and Wings pack. It will contain 10 swimming animals and 10 birds.

When Frontier said “they think we will be happy” it’s because they were following up on what every single social media comment since 2019 has asked for.

Obviously this is all true and 100% real btw

I had a prophetic vision, the next dlc will be the Water and Wings pack. It will contain 10 swimming animals and 10 birds.

When Frontier said “they think we will be happy” it’s because they were following up on what every single social media comment since 2019 has asked for.

Obviously this is all true and 100% real btw
No it's definitely a marine mammal pack with orcas and dolphins. Birds aren't real!

Back
Top Bottom