Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Despite my misgivings with SC and my disdain for what CR is doing the thing that almost got me interested to play it has been Moles honest straight forward postings of his impressions. He has fun anyway and I dont doubt it can be a good time. Not the propaganda or the white knights or Rexzilla. I cant bring myself to buy in at any level in the fiasco it has become though I'm afraid. I do enjoy this thread and other people sharing their experiences though.

This is what many streamers make a living on. They are honestly excited and have fun and people watch them for that....damn the game they actually play. Good humor and attitude is infectious. I am watching a certain twitch streamer who streams World of Warships. I simply enjoy listening to him, his jokes and like how he acts completely naturally in regards to the game. He always looks like he has a lot of fun with that slow paced game.

I started to play WoW as well and I just couldnt wrap my head around it. Once I got the basics down it was just one match after the other. What kind of victory chances you got or if you had fun at all depended heavily on the people you ended up with so personal skill, awareness and capability is just a small part of having fun. The rest is completely randomized. I like overcoming a challenge as much as the next guy but this is frustrating to me. Years ago I also lashed out at my teammates over this. Nowadays I just clamp up but I can observe how many people act like I did back then and it ruins the fun for everybody. Sometimes you wait for 10 minutes for a match to happen and then it starts with 2 guys being AFK or yoloing into the middle leaving you at an instant disadvantage. Moments like that I could just throw my mouse into the monitor. Maybe it would be easier or better if I shared my own playtime with an audience or teammates but thats how it is if I dont.

Needless to say I never found "the fun" that this streamer captured and transported. WoW just wasnt for me. And I continued watching that streamer and watching him is entertaining, actually doing it myself is frustrating. I just dont "get" how he can do this for 5-8 hours straight....every day. I would go insane.

I dont think Mole is lying or exaggerating his experiences. Hes rather timid and doesnt go out "OMG guys bestest game EVAH so much better then ED /smirk" like others do. Its easy to accept his report because <SNIP too much info, delving into "discussing the poster" territory">. Never forget tho that you are not him, he might have a very specific taste and a level of patience or acceptance that you might not have. Mole reports he is into mining and considers it fun. And from what he writes it actually SOUNDS like fun too.

Have you watched a Star Citizen stream or video about mining? Without skipping? Do you like what you see? Dont consider the "fun" you can hear out of his posts,,,,focus on what you see and your own reaction because THAT is going to determine if you have fun or not, you cant "force" it. And if you dont think it looks like fun then it probably isnt. Folks like Mole are responsible for me watching SC videos in the first place. First for trying to figure out if this game is for me. Next to see if what he and others report is actually there. And if I dont find what I expect then he isnt a liar either. He just has a different taste so he can enjoy it while I cant.

For example most backers who still play the PTU dont seem to mind the tedious affairs in between the "fun". The walking around, running from A to B, minutes of take-off and landing, many more minutes of travel time. Its easy to focus on the rewards which in this case is a beautiful screenshot of snow-covered trees or mountain sides but you cannot circumvent the way there or that you might run into a crash 2 minutes from your destination and have to start over.

So I dont deny him his fun. I consider his reports as truthful. But I also consider the folks who point out the negative things as factual. The bugs, the boring interplay, the rough state of everything. Certain people dont mind all that, others do. And if I consider that somebody who had a "negative" exerience with Star Citizen reports the truth then my next task is to figure out if what he describes would affect me as well because I know myself and thats it. Its easy to get lost in the hype or develop expectations that simply are not tthere. If i would only consume trailers and read the "good" reports I would purchase every game on the market because there is always something nice to say (and I actually did that for a time.....) but if you consider the negative reports as well then suddenly more then half of the titles easily drop out and the more details you learn about and consider the smaller that list becomes.

There is no denying that Star Citizen profits heavily on its visual asthetics. It always did. Its the first thing you see. Like a good looking girl who might be a complete female dog in reality. First impressions count and the nice screenhots and high polish are Star Citizens equivalent of make-up and cosmetic surgery. It might come with age but looks aint so important anymore. Because beauty is fleeting and you end up with whats underneath.When the first iteration of the PTU got released people almost wet themselves stating "oh wow, its just an alpha and it already looks this good? Its going to be the BDSSE, word" and truth be told....I was one of them.

But you look past the graphics at some point if you want to figure out if its a good game or not, thats something many people dont seem to get who equal good graphics with good game.

Now....some things might actually be fun. But it depends on the baseline really. If everything else is sh33t then mining is really fun. Yeah, I can get behind that. Theres nothing to do so flying over vistas and making nice screenshots....so rewarding. Yep, understand that.

If somebody comes out and claims that what SC currently is tho is "better then already released AAA games" then I would require proof and simple good looking pictures are not proof but this is a course of discussion we have had for years now. And most ardent defenders retreated to the "fun" aspect because thats safe. It doesnt prove anything or make the game better in any way but it cannot be disputed, not like everything factual about the game. Generally the "better then ED" routine makes me instantly dislike the post or poster. If you cannot convince me of a products qualities on its own merits then I really dont need the bashing of a product that has established itself already. And even here there is a difference with people who say it but make it very clear that that is their opinion, not a fact. And then you have the folks who speak like its undeniable fact and reality.

Star Citizen for the most part survives on the few people who have an insanely high tolerance for bugs and raw state and them still having fun doesnt mean the game is in any way "superior" to other games. If you set their view as your baseline you are really setting yourself up for disappointment. And doing that and making your own experience is your absolute right. But if the question is "theres so much drama about this game and so many people consider it great...there must be something to it" then thats why.

Mole and me even share some characteristics in taste, playing the same games but in regards to Star Citizen.....he simply sees things in it I cant see and he considers activities "fun" that would make me frustrated. Doesnt mean he is lying and I still accept his reports and even enjoy them because truth be told.....with THAT kind of bill the very least CIG can do is provide an alpha that some people can enjoy. I will never understand how somebody can consider a 250$ bill a "good purchase" when all it does is unlock a specific activity in a game but I dont have to. This alone is enough already for me never wanting to touch it. I have a very strong dislike against Pay to win but thats me. But if your stance is "I already shelled out the money....now the least I can do is have fun with what I have" then thats an attitude I can understand very well.

And too many reports these days simply reek of a hidden agenda. When posts start with "I come from ED, played for years, dumped thousands of hours into ED and picked up SC.....wow, its so much better guys" then I instantly assume its a shill. With a tailored post to appear genouine but its all fake. Again....if Star Citizen cannot stand on its own legs but has to rely on the work of other games to invoke the illusion of superiority my first reaction is rejection.

But....some people sound like jerks and what they say actually has merit. Still doesnt make me like them but you gotta accept reality. Also a lesson of life. If you are wrong and others are right that doesnt mean they have to be gentle in telling you being wrong. You might not like it but you gotta accept the facts and move on. What I ve seen and observed in this Star Citizen debacle so far has more then enough examples of deception, double standards, bias and pure fabrication (aka lying). And all the time other games need to be used to establish SCs qualities in the first place.

Hey, its 45 bucks, do whatever you want. If its not for you no big loss eh?

The same entrapment as F2P games really. Its "free", whats the risk? Well....you start playing and thats it. We all probably know how that goes and how F2P games make their money....small hint...its not because they are such great games or offer immersion, complexity or quality even. just to be on the same side....we are talking "mobile games" here.

I ve made purchases in the past I regretted later. Because the product didnt hold what it promised. And it might ve not been a lot of money but its a pure waste nevertheless and I hate waste with a passion. If I see somebody doing something that is less then efficient its like an itch I have to scratch. but I also cant look away. Most games in my steam library are games I simply didnt have the time to play yet but I m looking forward to most of them. There are a few select games that I bought and disliked but couldnt refund anymore, those stand out as "marks of shame" whenever I log in and look over my library.

After spending considerable time on Star Citizen, videos, reports, discussions, articles...I ve come to the conlusion that buying into SC would be a mistake for me because all the signs are there it ll be just one more mark of shame where I wasted my money. And ridiculing replies like "what, cant afford it?" or "I dont mind, I got enough money" really dont do anything for me in wanting to get into it.

Mole has spent thousands......THOUSANDS of dollars on pixel activity that is free or included in full games for 30 bucks or even less. That thought alone is insane to me. And he is not a rarity. We can safely say that many many people who are still into SC are concierge level or even multiples of that by now. You gotta wonder what made him do it. Especially as he comes across like a nice and down-to-earth guy (at soime point I need to post a scathing flame about him to counter all this brown-nosing geesh) so what is it?

My take.....high Star Citizen investments happen over time for the most part. Nobody dumps 3000 dollars in one go (there are a few I guess most sane people dont). In addition most sales are based on the promise of future development. You start small with the base investment and go from there. If Star Citizens current iteration hits the "sweet spot" for you, not necessarily best game ever but you like doing what you can do and you keep coming back then thats your road to concierge and higher right there. But I never forget that I buy complete games for 50 bucks or less that I can play for years. Star Citizens fan reports are for the most part based on people who dumpled several hundreds or even thousands into it over time. It changes your perspective because you are invested. Would you do the same again if you would find yourself outside tomorrow? Is Star Citizen really so much "fun" that you would instantly drop all those thousands AGAIN?

Its actually an interesting question.

The people who I consider credible on positive reports are speaking from a position of acceptance. They are "in it" with that amount of money. They are not going to get it back. Actually trying to find the fun they can and not focus on all the issues to rage about seems to be the healthy thing to do for me. I would try the same. Doesnt mean the game is actually worth that much. But in most cases it requires this level of investment and the correct mindset.

Uff, sorry bout the wall....not sorry! Bite me :)

This is what many streamers make a living on. They are honestly excited and have fun and people watch them for that....damn the game they actually play. Good humor and attitude is infectious. I am watching a certain twitch streamer who streams World of Warships. I simply enjoy listening to him, his jokes and like how he acts completely naturally in regards to the game. He always looks like he has a lot of fun with that slow paced game.

I started to play WoW as well and I just couldnt wrap my head around it. Once I got the basics down it was just one match after the other. What kind of victory chances you got or if you had fun at all depended heavily on the people you ended up with so personal skill, awareness and capability is just a small part of having fun. The rest is completely randomized. I like overcoming a challenge as much as the next guy but this is frustrating to me. Years ago I also lashed out at my teammates over this. Nowadays I just clamp up but I can observe how many people act like I did back then and it ruins the fun for everybody. Sometimes you wait for 10 minutes for a match to happen and then it starts with 2 guys being AFK or yoloing into the middle leaving you at an instant disadvantage. Moments like that I could just throw my mouse into the monitor. Maybe it would be easier or better if I shared my own playtime with an audience or teammates but thats how it is if I dont.

Needless to say I never found "the fun" that this streamer captured and transported. WoW just wasnt for me. And I continued watching that streamer and watching him is entertaining, actually doing it myself is frustrating. I just dont "get" how he can do this for 5-8 hours straight....every day. I would go insane.

I dont think Mole is lying or exaggerating his experiences. Hes rather timid and doesnt go out "OMG guys bestest game EVAH so much better then ED /smirk" like others do. Its easy to accept his report because <SNIP too much info, delving into "discussing the poster" territory">. Never forget tho that you are not him, he might have a very specific taste and a level of patience or acceptance that you might not have. Mole reports he is into mining and considers it fun. And from what he writes it actually SOUNDS like fun too.

Have you watched a Star Citizen stream or video about mining? Without skipping? Do you like what you see? Dont consider the "fun" you can hear out of his posts,,,,focus on what you see and your own reaction because THAT is going to determine if you have fun or not, you cant "force" it. And if you dont think it looks like fun then it probably isnt. Folks like Mole are responsible for me watching SC videos in the first place. First for trying to figure out if this game is for me. Next to see if what he and others report is actually there. And if I dont find what I expect then he isnt a liar either. He just has a different taste so he can enjoy it while I cant.

For example most backers who still play the PTU dont seem to mind the tedious affairs in between the "fun". The walking around, running from A to B, minutes of take-off and landing, many more minutes of travel time. Its easy to focus on the rewards which in this case is a beautiful screenshot of snow-covered trees or mountain sides but you cannot circumvent the way there or that you might run into a crash 2 minutes from your destination and have to start over.

So I dont deny him his fun. I consider his reports as truthful. But I also consider the folks who point out the negative things as factual. The bugs, the boring interplay, the rough state of everything. Certain people dont mind all that, others do. And if I consider that somebody who had a "negative" exerience with Star Citizen reports the truth then my next task is to figure out if what he describes would affect me as well because I know myself and thats it. Its easy to get lost in the hype or develop expectations that simply are not tthere. If i would only consume trailers and read the "good" reports I would purchase every game on the market because there is always something nice to say (and I actually did that for a time.....) but if you consider the negative reports as well then suddenly more then half of the titles easily drop out and the more details you learn about and consider the smaller that list becomes.

There is no denying that Star Citizen profits heavily on its visual asthetics. It always did. Its the first thing you see. Like a good looking girl who might be a complete female dog in reality. First impressions count and the nice screenhots and high polish are Star Citizens equivalent of make-up and cosmetic surgery. It might come with age but looks aint so important anymore. Because beauty is fleeting and you end up with whats underneath.When the first iteration of the PTU got released people almost wet themselves stating "oh wow, its just an alpha and it already looks this good? Its going to be the BDSSE, word" and truth be told....I was one of them.

But you look past the graphics at some point if you want to figure out if its a good game or not, thats something many people dont seem to get who equal good graphics with good game.

Now....some things might actually be fun. But it depends on the baseline really. If everything else is sh33t then mining is really fun. Yeah, I can get behind that. Theres nothing to do so flying over vistas and making nice screenshots....so rewarding. Yep, understand that.

If somebody comes out and claims that what SC currently is tho is "better then already released AAA games" then I would require proof and simple good looking pictures are not proof but this is a course of discussion we have had for years now. And most ardent defenders retreated to the "fun" aspect because thats safe. It doesnt prove anything or make the game better in any way but it cannot be disputed, not like everything factual about the game. Generally the "better then ED" routine makes me instantly dislike the post or poster. If you cannot convince me of a products qualities on its own merits then I really dont need the bashing of a product that has established itself already. And even here there is a difference with people who say it but make it very clear that that is their opinion, not a fact. And then you have the folks who speak like its undeniable fact and reality.

Star Citizen for the most part survives on the few people who have an insanely high tolerance for bugs and raw state and them still having fun doesnt mean the game is in any way "superior" to other games. If you set their view as your baseline you are really setting yourself up for disappointment. And doing that and making your own experience is your absolute right. But if the question is "theres so much drama about this game and so many people consider it great...there must be something to it" then thats why.

Mole and me even share some characteristics in taste, playing the same games but in regards to Star Citizen.....he simply sees things in it I cant see and he considers activities "fun" that would make me frustrated. Doesnt mean he is lying and I still accept his reports and even enjoy them because truth be told.....with THAT kind of bill the very least CIG can do is provide an alpha that some people can enjoy. I will never understand how somebody can consider a 250$ bill a "good purchase" when all it does is unlock a specific activity in a game but I dont have to. This alone is enough already for me never wanting to touch it. I have a very strong dislike against Pay to win but thats me. But if your stance is "I already shelled out the money....now the least I can do is have fun with what I have" then thats an attitude I can understand very well.

And too many reports these days simply reek of a hidden agenda. When posts start with "I come from ED, played for years, dumped thousands of hours into ED and picked up SC.....wow, its so much better guys" then I instantly assume its a shill. With a tailored post to appear genouine but its all fake. Again....if Star Citizen cannot stand on its own legs but has to rely on the work of other games to invoke the illusion of superiority my first reaction is rejection.

But....some people sound like jerks and what they say actually has merit. Still doesnt make me like them but you gotta accept reality. Also a lesson of life. If you are wrong and others are right that doesnt mean they have to be gentle in telling you being wrong. You might not like it but you gotta accept the facts and move on. What I ve seen and observed in this Star Citizen debacle so far has more then enough examples of deception, double standards, bias and pure fabrication (aka lying). And all the time other games need to be used to establish SCs qualities in the first place.

Hey, its 45 bucks, do whatever you want. If its not for you no big loss eh?

The same entrapment as F2P games really. Its "free", whats the risk? Well....you start playing and thats it. We all probably know how that goes and how F2P games make their money....small hint...its not because they are such great games or offer immersion, complexity or quality even. just to be on the same side....we are talking "mobile games" here.

I ve made purchases in the past I regretted later. Because the product didnt hold what it promised. And it might ve not been a lot of money but its a pure waste nevertheless and I hate waste with a passion. If I see somebody doing something that is less then efficient its like an itch I have to scratch. but I also cant look away. Most games in my steam library are games I simply didnt have the time to play yet but I m looking forward to most of them. There are a few select games that I bought and disliked but couldnt refund anymore, those stand out as "marks of shame" whenever I log in and look over my library.

After spending considerable time on Star Citizen, videos, reports, discussions, articles...I ve come to the conlusion that buying into SC would be a mistake for me because all the signs are there it ll be just one more mark of shame where I wasted my money. And ridiculing replies like "what, cant afford it?" or "I dont mind, I got enough money" really dont do anything for me in wanting to get into it.

Mole has spent thousands......THOUSANDS of dollars on pixel activity that is free or included in full games for 30 bucks or even less. That thought alone is insane to me. And he is not a rarity. We can safely say that many many people who are still into SC are concierge level or even multiples of that by now. You gotta wonder what made him do it. Especially as he comes across like a nice and down-to-earth guy (at soime point I need to post a scathing flame about him to counter all this brown-nosing geesh) so what is it?

My take.....high Star Citizen investments happen over time for the most part. Nobody dumps 3000 dollars in one go (there are a few I guess most sane people dont). In addition most sales are based on the promise of future development. You start small with the base investment and go from there. If Star Citizens current iteration hits the "sweet spot" for you, not necessarily best game ever but you like doing what you can do and you keep coming back then thats your road to concierge and higher right there. But I never forget that I buy complete games for 50 bucks or less that I can play for years. Star Citizens fan reports are for the most part based on people who dumpled several hundreds or even thousands into it over time. It changes your perspective because you are invested. Would you do the same again if you would find yourself outside tomorrow? Is Star Citizen really so much "fun" that you would instantly drop all those thousands AGAIN?

Its actually an interesting question.

The people who I consider credible on positive reports are speaking from a position of acceptance. They are "in it" with that amount of money. They are not going to get it back. Actually trying to find the fun they can and not focus on all the issues to rage about seems to be the healthy thing to do for me. I would try the same. Doesnt mean the game is actually worth that much. But in most cases it requires this level of investment and the correct mindset.

Uff, sorry bout the wall....not sorry! Bite me :)
Not quite in the multiples of thousands yet, Fritz... and never likely to go there either :D

I kinda box clever as many experienced long term backers do, shuffle things around using store credit and buy back tokens, buy and sell ships on the grey market to make a small profit which goes back in to buy low level LTI packages...melt game packages into standalone ships to melt back to different game packages, upgrade certain ships within a game package to increase it's value and appeal using store credit or the grey market once again and sell it on...rinse and repeat. I have my own little fleet that's almost locked down, I've got the ships I want out of the horse trading and shuffling around which suit how I play both at present and if Star Citizen continues to be developed and expanded.

The folks like me basically spend very little real cash on Star Citizen once we reach our particular line in the sand level of spending. In total over the last year I've given Ci¬G a grand total of $15 and overall increased the $ value of my Star Citizen account by more than double what I put in...it's all part of the same game for me :)

As for playing Star Citizen, I try to present a warts and all viewpoint...everyone knows what the problems and issues are, the politics, the shady and dishonest business deals and predatory marketing, know of the bugs and glacial development and seem to know how it plays as a game...or at least are convinced they know, sometimes only from reading second hand reports or watching videos flavoured to their particular bias toward one side or t'other and forming an opinion based on that...

I try as best I can to avoid the ad nauseum droning and set in stone attitudes surrounding the development aspects of Star Citizen from both sides, sidestep the obvious, baited discussions purely on the business and management incompetence of Ci¬G...as much as I wholeheartedly agree on that score... and simply attempt to put down in type how Star Citizen seems to me as a genuine player of it as well as offer appropriate credit or criticism where either are rightly due. I'm not emotionally attached to it, I don't have a vested interest in persuading anyone to buy in or even like it. I also don't feel I compulsively defend it or come across as defensive either... outside of offering a slightly more positive slant than may be acceptable to some...Star Citizen is what it is at the end of the day and that's unlikely to change any more than the opinions from all sides surrounding it. ;)

Last edited:
My take.....high Star Citizen investments happen over time for the most part. Nobody dumps 3000 dollars in one go (there are a few I guess most sane people dont).

Very much so.

• A start pack around kickstarter
  • Upgraded to a Freelancer
  • Was a nice deal on a Superhornet so i melted freelancer for a superhornet
  • Done.

Then the slow creep arrived with small things added with a trickle of a little money here and there, nothing major.

After 4-5 years...a top hat and monocle appeared...

Now, with a low USD rate and no VAT in those days it was..."cheap" compared to today so it's not something was really bothered with.

Is it a lot of money, sure...over 8 years...nah.

And that is the dangerous part, it's "cheap" over time...

Seems like a drug addiction to me.
No, that would indicate one needs a regular "fix".

To me it was more...would i have more fun in ship A or ship B, and can ship C complement A and/or B.

I'm basically getting a small "fleet" so i have a nice starter package of things and do not have to get one ship in game, ever...except perhaps hunting the white whales of huge Krakens and Idris if/when/how things finally release.

After 11 years of playing EVE online and hunting for ships, parts, modules and flying all over the place to get the parts I like the idea of Lifetime insurance so i do not have to think of the hassle and just play.

And do not get me started on the "addiction" that was EVE with 3-4 accounts, going into large fleets in the middle of the night and flying around between giant corporations...and the TOTAL cost of that game over the years.

But I'm really wondering about people's mental health when they congratulate themselves and others after putting the down payment of a house into a computer game.

I tried printing, rolling and smoking the Jpegs...wasn't very nice even with decent tobacco 😐

Ticket to ride, white line highway
Tell all your friends, they can go my way
Pay your toll, sell your soul
Pound for pound costs more than gold
The longer you stay, the more you pay
My white lines go a long way
Either up your nose or through your vein
With nothin' to gain except killin' your brain

Ticket to ride, white line highway
Tell all your friends, they can go my way
Pound for pound costs more than gold
My white lines go a long way
Either up your nose or through your vein
With nothin' to gain except killin' your brain

Revised version...

Coincerge ticket to buy, JPG highway
Tell all your friends, they be my posse
Pixel for pixel costs more than gold
My JPGs go a long way
Either up your mobi or clip through the terrain
With nothin' to gain except killin' your bank account

Very much so.

• Done.

Then the slow creep arrived with small things added with a trickle of a little money here and there, nothing major.

Now, with a low USD rate and no VAT in those days it was..."cheap" compared to today so it's not something was really bothered with.

This is exactly my case too. I had to look, I’m $790 deep in to SC. This give me the 600i explorer with LTI, a Prospector with 10 years insurance and 95,000 starting credits. The starting credits just added up as I did 20 here, 15 there over time.

The only trade I‘m thinking about is the 600i for the Carrack. The Carrack offers more, but, the 600i can be turned into a beast!

Not quite in the multiples of thousands yet, Fritz... and never likely to go there either :D

I kinda box clever as many experienced long term backers do, shuffle things around using store credit and buy back tokens, buy and sell ships on the grey market to make a small profit which goes back in to buy low level LTI packages...melt game packages into standalone ships to melt back to different game packages, upgrade certain ships within a game package to increase it's value and appeal using store credit or the grey market once again and sell it on...rinse and repeat. I have my own little fleet that's almost locked down, I've got the ships I want out of the horse trading and shuffling around which suit how I play both at present and if Star Citizen continues to be developed and expanded.

The folks like me basically spend very little real cash on Star Citizen once we reach our particular line in the sand level of spending. In total over the last year I've given Ci¬G a grand total of $15 and overall increased the $ value of my Star Citizen account by more than double what I put in...it's all part of the same game for me :)

As for playing Star Citizen, I try to present a warts and all viewpoint...everyone knows what the problems and issues are, the politics, the shady and dishonest business deals and predatory marketing, know of the bugs and glacial development and seem to know how it plays as a game...or at least are convinced they know, sometimes only from reading second hand reports or watching videos flavoured to their particular bias toward one side or t'other and forming an opinion based on that...

I try as best I can to avoid the ad nauseum droning and set in stone attitudes surrounding the development aspects of Star Citizen from both sides, sidestep the obvious, baited discussions purely on the business and management incompetence of Ci¬G...as much as I wholeheartedly agree on that score... and simply attempt to put down in type how Star Citizen seems to me as a genuine player of it as well as offer appropriate credit or criticism where either are rightly due. I'm not emotionally attached to it, I don't have a vested interest in persuading anyone to buy in or even like it. I also don't feel I compulsively defend it or come across as defensive either... outside of offering a slightly more positive slant than may be acceptable to some...Star Citizen is what it is at the end of the day and that's unlikely to change any more than the opinions from all sides surrounding it. ;)

Ah I aplologize then. I had the memory that you said you were twice or thrice a concierge....my bad then.

Very much so.

• Done.
Yeah but on the other hand Star Citizen does have single item store offers that cost 3000 and more. And appearantly some people buy those. And while most vocal people stick to this story as well (because admitting a 100.000$ investment would make you a target for ridicule) those people are out there. Investments that are impossible to justify as "not much" in any way or shape.

Also I think of "normal" games that cost me 60 bucks and thats it. I might play it for 5 years....no additional investment necessary. Maybe a couple DLCs, thats another 50-60 so 5 years lets say 300 bucks if I feel generous and really want to reward the devs for top quality and results. Thats for full 5 years of full access to a full and complete game. At any point you have the possebilitiy to check beforehand what exactly you get for your money. Because the game is out. In Star Citizen we are talking about 10 times that number and most of your pledges are bound in a project that can fundamentally change before release. Features might change, plans might be different. What you bought in the past might get new tasks or stats. Because there is not even a guarantee that SC will release. And for the most part you are entitled to "wait" for the product you paid for. You are able to access the alpha and we really dont need to discuss how "good" that actually is but "good investment" or "fair entertainment prize" /laugh

But that is a difference in opinion and view. You might think its a great return value. I think its a pure scam. I just see too much justification going on and somehow many stories are similar now that its estblished that one story is "acceptable". Its like you are interested in a certain car? And suddenly you see it everywhere? Same happens to Star Citizen defense statemenents. They appear somewhere or you read em once and suddenly everybody is saying the exact same thing :) Almost funny if you think about it ^^

They are banking on everyone spending hundreds if not thousands. They just set it up so some don't notice the overall cost creep up over time as they buy smaller "micros" and others will whale for the big buy and leave it at that (or not).

If there's one thing CiG have excelled at it's finding ways to make sure they have everyone paying something and as many avenues of money rolling in as they can.

Very much so.

• Done.

Yeah this is the thing, it can be 'a little bit here, a little bit there'. And I think the fact that it can feel like a 'win' or a 'great deal' is one of the keys too. Whether it's a grey-market move that boosts your portfolio's current net worth, or spotting the best trade out of a spread of official offers etc. (Grab that Explorer Pack y'all, if you wanna port your LTI, and get a bargain Carrack, to counter-point your pure exploration ship...)

Did you set out to get a fleet of exploration ships? In a game which may never get meaningful exploration gameplay, in the sense it was envisioned? Ermm, nope. But those deals man, those deals...

That mini dopamine hit and slice of happy-smug from 'getting one over' / 'being ahead of the game', definitely oils that there slippery slope. It's kinda of a famous snake oil incentive in fact ;)

To turn to hokey analogies, I does all feel a bit boiling frog. A bit...

Source: https://i.imgur.com/EWlLFlY.mp4

Last edited:
This is all becoming more complicated than it really is...from my perspective anyway :D

We're now back to assuming pure monetary values of a particular activity but setting the rules of acceptability by making individual and judgemental standards and comparisons...kinda what I'd hoped to avoid by explaining my involvement in Star Citizen in more detail than I usually do.

I don't have to justify my interest to myself that much since I enjoy that involvement...but here on a discussion board amongst disparate strangers I'm expected to do so amidst the suggestion or intent of every comment in indirect reply confusing any kind of involvement in Star Citizen with a form of hapless and uncontrollable addiction ...which is pretty far from where it actually fits in my reality.

I meet a few addictive personality types involved in Star Citizen...to a degree I find disturbing and akin to watching someone be consumed by online poker or betting on the horses...The snakes in the marketing department of Ci¬G are perfectly set up to exploit that compulsiveness in the same way many other game publishers promote and sell lootboxes and other micro transactions.

But lets be clear here, neither myself... nor any one of the regulars posting on this thread about their involvement in Star Citizen are of those sadly afflicted or recklessly compulsive and fiscally irresponsible types we seem to be getting lumped in with... given the many responses, tempered enthusiasm and honesty offered in their posts.

Last edited:
But lets be clear here, neither myself... or any one of the regulars posting on this thread about their involvement in Star Citizen are of those sadly afflicted or recklessly compulsive and fiscally irresponsible types we seem to be getting lumped in with... given the many responses, tempered enthusiasm and honesty offered in their posts.

I mean, there's a few I can think of, but won't name names, who don't exactly temper their enthusiasm nor speak with all too much honesty on the subject.

You are right though, you don't bear the burden of justifying your hobby nor it's expense in the same way that I don't need to justify my massive steam library full of games I have not finished nor my collection of rare and delightful plants that I really truly do have to admit I simply don't have the room nor need for. Everyone's got there list of things they will spend on for no reason other than the fact it brings them enjoyment to do so. The velvet painting I have of Vincent Price hanging on the wall cost more than a large number of currently flyable SC ships. I can't fly Vincent Price.

So long as there's no obvious signs that they're harming themselves or others over it then you can do whatever you like.

I mean, there's a few I can think of, but won't name names, who don't exactly temper their enthusiasm nor speak with all too much honesty on the subject.

You are right though, you don't bear the burden of justifying your hobby nor it's expense in the same way that I don't need to justify my massive steam library full of games I have not finished nor my collection of rare and delightful plants that I really truly do have to admit I simply don't have the room nor need for. Everyone's got there list of things they will spend on for no reason other than the fact it brings them enjoyment to do so. The velvet painting I have of Vincent Price hanging on the wall cost more than a large number of currently flyable SC ships. I can't fly Vincent Price.

So long as there's no obvious signs that they're harming themselves or others over it then you can do whatever you like.
Velvet painting of Vincent Price...hmm :oops:

I meant honesty about the level of their involvement in Star Citizen...rather than any expression or realistic expectations about it's development...should have made that clearer ;)

Last edited:
@MoleHD
I think many of us would think of computer gaming as our hobby and not a single game. It's been interesting to see the reflection of yourself and JMP seeing SC as a hobby. I guess if FD brought out a 50 quid add on every year for ED I would buy without thinking and by now I would be in for 350 quid without even thinking about it. It kind of puts a different spin on things.

@MoleHD
I think many of us would think of computer gaming as our hobby and not a single game. It's been interesting to see the reflection of yourself and JMP seeing SC as a hobby. I guess if FD brought out a 50 quid add on every year for ED I would buy without thinking and by now I would be in for 350 quid without even thinking about it. It kind of puts a different spin on things.
I like computer games in general and I happily admit that it's my main hobby...I do spend a lot on games in total and not only on Star Citizen...I've spent a fair bit on Elite too with the cosmetic stuff and owning 2 copies of it on Xbox and PC, I've spent roughly the same on both...I like space games and Elite along with SC kinda hit my spot as they do with many others.

To put it another way and in a similar vein to your suggestion...if FDev were to offer an annual subscription service along with regular paid DLC which enabled them to develop the game they wanted and add the things I always wanted...I'd be flinging money at them too...since there's been nothing to compare to Elite yet ;)

Last edited:
I'm playing 'catch up' with the thread again.

On the subject of 'fleets' for SC, I'd like to offer a modicum of advice to anyone currently 'building a fleet' or thinking of doing so.

If you absolutely have to have a fleet of personal ships for whatever reason, then make it for the game you have today, not the game you hope to one day in the future receive. (What? It's wisdom, shut up) :p

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom