Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As in, the frog overproimises and the scorpion, rightly fed up stings the frog to death?
That works too.

I was thinking more like, the frog wasn't even part of the race but not even half-way over the unrelated river, the scorpion — contrary to its best interest and in spite of knowing what will happen — cannot resist its impulse to keep poking the frog at the most inopportune moments. It's only a matter of time before the already apparent paralysis spreads and becomes fatal.

e: Also, the scorpion absolves himself from all of that.

Last edited:
Frog & Scorpion allegory works with CR as the scorpion and backers as the frog.

The scorpion (CR) asks the frog (backers) to carry it across the river (Star Citizen project) as it cannot swim. Frog is suspicious of the scorpion "won't you take the funding and buy a house?", but the scorpion says "No, I would not do that to you, I need to cross the river", so the frog agrees and funds the scorpion. Half way (7 years) across the river (Star Citizen project) the Scorpion (Chris) stings the frog (backers) and it starts to die. The frog asks "Why did you sting me?", and the Scorpion replies "That's what I do, I'm a scorpion, I can't change my nature 🤷‍♂️ "

I would also mention Space Engineers, and especially KSP which is still IMHO the best space sim ever. And Rebel Galaxy Outlaw etc. etc.
SC doesnt redeem itself by being vaguely MMO (as the "massively" is vastly overstated..), the "sim" part has been left out to make it "space arcade", and the on-legs part is janky at best (lets not talk about AI or combat hitboxes or anything FPS related..), and even the hilarious KSP physics engine is way more consistent than whatever SC proposes in that department.
there actually more less known indie titles that are good, some already know about infinity battlescape, here are some other lesser known ones...

heck, 6 years ago there was even a wing commander clone game.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not SC backer, and I would'nt even consider doing that, entirely due to state of that project, and its vanishingly small possibility of ever producing proper game. More likely SC's marketing had worked on me by way of me not knowing much of any other possible ED competitors. I'm active Elite player, and would want to see some healthy competition to spur some development in features to game. I certainly have not liked many recent developments by FD, but time will tell.
It certainly isnt CIG marketing when all you need is having a look around to notice alternatives. Released and finished alternatives.

there actually more less known indie titles that are good, some already know about infinity battlescape, here are some other lesser known ones...

For those just wanting a privateer fix I can heartily reccomend rebel galaxy outlaw.

For those just wanting a privateer fix I can heartily reccomend rebel galaxy outlaw.

well I refuse to partake in Epic Games Store shenanigans... especially when it's involving a crowdfunding project or game series where previous installment was sold on steam. However at this point, I still have more respect for Epic Games than Ci-G.

heck, 6 years ago there was even a wing commander clone game.

Too many current space games are way too fucussed on combat or base/ship building...or corporate empire building like X4. Not enough of them are Jumpgate. Rose coloured glasses perhaps looking back...but boy, I loved that game.

So many of current space games are way too fucussed on combat or base/ship building...or corporate empire building like X4. Not enough of them are Jumpgate. Rose coloured glasses perhaps looking back...but boy, I loved that game.

I suppose why, at the end of the day, I play stuff like everspace for a little while and then gravitate back to Elite.

It's a catch though, make a space sim/space game less about combat and the niche market is pleased while everyone else complains about how difficult/boring/slow it is. At the end of the day, a company has to make money to keep making games. Sure, I want to play stuff like RymdResa, Elite, Sunless Skies, Noctis instead of just blast through endless waves of ships... but how many people know what RymdResa or Noctis is let alone would pay for them?

There's a few ways to try and handle this:
-- Just release what people want (the combat/buildy type games) and make money. (Most Space Games)
-- Release the vision and hope the niche market can keep you afloat or help bring in customers that otherwise wouldn't look your way via organic marketing. (NMS)
-- Release the vision but ensure operating costs are low enough to meet realistic expectations of how much product you expect to really move. (Indie stuff)
-- SC route of promise everything to everyone, pulling conflicting communities into the same space in what will undoubtedly result in utter uncontrollable griefing chaos.

well I refuse to partake in Epic Games Store shenanigans... especially when it's involving a crowdfunding project or game series where previous installment was sold on steam. However at this point, I still have more respect for Epic Games than Ci-G.
your choice.......... It is coming to steam in August this year.
Personally I have no loyalty to any store front and just want good value games (and where the developers still get a cut, so i dont use G2A etc)

Valve are no angels and are the ones who 1st introduced the notion of forcing players to install extra DRM bloat - even in retail games..... it is easy to play the "exclusives are bad card" that Valve try to play when you know 90% of people will buy from steam regardless - hell people even choose steam over DRM free from GOG where you actually get to own the game properly... but I digress and that is another topic for another thread.

Last edited:
...One thing I would like to know is the exit strategy for the Roberts Clan because is it clear the could not delivering the product SC they pitched in the sales. The other thing is I would like to know how the backers would react if the say sry folks it’s over.

Whether calculated or not, I'd imagine that history will simply repeat itself.

Chris will be moved to acting as consultant if/when more corporate money comes in. The fans will triumph this as part of the plan, and a master-stroke as he'll be freed up from the mundane to focus on delivering the magic. He'll be trotted out for a video handing over to the new team, and then after some months stuck in a broom cupboard at home he'll quietly leave to take up 'exciting new projects'. The fans will explain that this is good as he had done his job in getting all the vision and pipelines set up and ready to flow, and anything good that comes subsequently will be due to this, and all of the very many abandoned/quietly forgotten stretch goals will be the fault of the new team.

The new team will make a few seismic changes, ditch a lot of 'fidels' to finally deliver something that is actually deliverable, but one that (of course) never comes within a mile of the fully imagineered SC/SQ42 that the fans had anticipated.

Actually. I'm not so sure that any corporate is going to step in as, unless they continue selling jpegs and increasing technical debt, I'm not sure where their 'Return on Investment' is going to come from. So there may have to be a corporate 'default' at the point of transition annulling any liabilities for the new company.

In summary, erm, I dunno. I am still really hopeful something gets finished*, in as much as a stable and relatively playable game. I'm not expecting SC to be better or worse than ED or NMS, just different in its own way, and so fun.

A final thought is that I'll consider SC 'finished' when it can be purchased through channels such as Steam or GoG.

Not enough of them are Jumpgate. Rose coloured glasses perhaps looking back...but boy, I loved that game.
I honestly hoped that SC would follow the Jumpgate model, and the very early backer goals were just that, before the feature explosion... And yeah still failing to find a proper replacement for that one.

now imagine if all those games developments got some portion of the money that CI-G claimed to get (and wasted).

I liked the Vangelis'ish music on Earth analogue. As you say, imagine the games had the money gone to companies who <hmm best I say nothing more>.

I liked the Vangelis'ish music on Earth analogue. As you say, imagine the games had the money gone to companies who <hmm best I say nothing more>.

That one is best looking to me as well.
But I'm just tired that this genre cannot pump out a single properly finished game.

At this moment I just wish there was a simple, but rewarding exploration/survival game built upon Space Engine.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom