Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I was thinking: What's with all the other Squadrons? Where will they be stationed? And what if 42 isn't the last squadron?! It must mean there are so much more systems in the pipeline and they will now spill forth in monthly frequency like intended.

As clunky as it launched, and as loony as it still is, maybe you should give No Man's Sky a try. It may lack in many departments but it is genuinely "let's launch it for an hour... Wait, is it really tomorrow afternoon!?". And you can't deny dev team 's dedication to enhance their project through all the years.

Perfectly described. NMS is exactly this.

Did they get rid of the resource grind and inventory space juggling?

Yes and no. Each slot in your inventory can now hold a lot more and if you play on PC there's also a save game editor that works wonders. Alternately popping to the nexus and asking for help often pays dividends, and the advanced mining tool works well too.

I know what you mean and certainly the inventory juggling was a real chore, but this has been hugely improved on what was there before. It can still be a bit of an issue, just not a big a one as it was.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Each slot in your inventory can now hold a lot more and if you play on PC there's also a save game editor that works wonders. Alternately popping to the nexus and asking for help often pays dividends, and the advanced mining tool works well too.

I know what you mean and certainly the inventory juggling was a real chore, but this has been hugely improved on what was there before. It can still be a bit of an issue, just not a big a one as it was.
It always amazes me how often developers fail to understand to properly design inventory systems.

Except in perma-death where you have restricted slots of everything maxes at 500, 250 in your suit IIRC. Challenging but good fun.

As clunky as it launched, and as loony as it still is, maybe you should give No Man's Sky a try. It may lack in many departments but it is genuinely "let's launch it for an hour... Wait, is it really tomorrow afternoon!?". And you can't deny dev team 's dedication to enhance their project through all the years.
I have NMS on PS4. For me, this is a very different game than ED and scratches different itches. I've been tempted by it on PC because of VR, but I think I would grow bored with it pretty quick (I've already experienced the "fun" stuff). The one thing that keeps me potentially interested is the ability to explorer other player's bases and freighters in VR. Some people have made crazy-cool bases from what I've seen on YouTube. Being able to walk around inside these in VR might make the game worth investing the money and time into....

Ironically this is also the one thing that caused me to take interest in Star Citizen, the ability to explore stations, planets, and cities "on foot", albeit in 2D rather than VR.

That boy needs therapy.

Sorry, couldn't resist an Avalanches reference.

It means we have to wait until the terms of the agreement are filed, although it may not be made public, then nobody will know who got what and everyone will have to beilieve their own pet theory.

What will be interesting to see after that is whether the SQ42 roadmap suddenly jumps forward by a large amount, like how some backers have theorized that CIG are pretending to make no progress in order to put Crytek off. I'd be interested to see the reaction of Crytek and the court if that were to happen, because it would mean CIG have intentionally misled backers, Crytek, and the court over the state of SQ42. But there again, lies are nothing new to CIG, they are past masters at it by now.

That boy needs therapy.

It means we have to wait until the terms of the agreement are filed, although it may not be made public, then nobody will know who got what and everyone will have to beilieve their own pet theory.

I can also see it being an undisclosed settlement, so people will never know the full story. Come to think of it, that is much like what happened with The Escapist articles.

I can also see it being an undisclosed settlement, so people will never know the full story. Come to think of it, that is much like what happened with The Escapist articles.

Thats why "nothing will come out of it" at least not for us fans. Either CIG pays or they dont but we ll never learn what the court discovered or decreed and whatever tasty information about the project itself was shown will also remain hidden for us allowing all parties to continue as they did so far.....tapping in the darkness. I was hoping for some definitive answers out of this....doesnt look like we are going to get any.

I have NMS on PS4. For me, this is a very different game than ED and scratches different itches. I've been tempted by it on PC because of VR, but I think I would grow bored with it pretty quick (I've already experienced the "fun" stuff). The one thing that keeps me potentially interested is the ability to explorer other player's bases and freighters in VR. Some people have made crazy-cool bases from what I've seen on YouTube. Being able to walk around inside these in VR might make the game worth investing the money and time into....

Ironically this is also the one thing that caused me to take interest in Star Citizen, the ability to explore stations, planets, and cities "on foot", albeit in 2D rather than VR.

Let me tell you, I bought NMS on PC solely for VR and I can say that it really is something else. Mundane stuff like just walking on a planet is certainly more interesting now that you can see how big those trees really are, that giant dino running towards you is more threatening, and the aiming of your multitool with you actual hands makes doing things in the game feel like less of a chore.

Wandering out the featured bases, dancing in the nexus with other VR players, it's all good fun. I can't recommend it enough, it's up there with Elite as one of the best VR experiences on the market today. I simply can't play my PS4 copy anymore because it doesn't feel right. Sort of like how I can't play elite on a monitor.

That boy needs therapy.

What will be interesting to see after that is whether the SQ42 roadmap suddenly jumps forward by a large amount, like how some backers have theorized that CIG are pretending to make no progress in order to put Crytek off. I'd be interested to see the reaction of Crytek and the court if that were to happen, because it would mean CIG have intentionally misled backers, Crytek, and the court over the state of SQ42. But there again, lies are nothing new to CIG, they are past masters at it by now.

You can only be master of lies when noone notices your lies.

Let me tell you, I bought NMS on PC solely for VR and I can say that it really is something else. Mundane stuff like just walking on a planet is certainly more interesting now that you can see how big those trees really are, that giant dino running towards you is more threatening, and the aiming of your multitool with you actual hands makes doing things in the game feel like less of a chore.

Wandering out the featured bases, dancing in the nexus with other VR players, it's all good fun. I can't recommend it enough, it's up there with Elite as one of the best VR experiences on the market today. I simply can't play my PS4 copy anymore because it doesn't feel right. Sort of like how I can't play elite on a monitor.
Personally, I found NMS in VR to be a frustrating experience. Much like Subnautica in VR, it was designed to be played from a "seated" position, and trying to play in roomscale was a symphany of annoyances. If I turn my body, I expect my "avatar" to mimic that movement. Instead, my "avatar" would apparently keep facing the original direction until I manually turned it, so the "hud" wouldn't be available, hand harvesting resources wouldn't work, movement would be jacked up, and so on.

Personally, I found NMS in VR to be a frustrating experience. Much like Subnautica in VR, it was designed to be played from a "seated" position, and trying to play in roomscale was a symphany of annoyances. If I turn my body, I expect my "avatar" to mimic that movement. Instead, my "avatar" would apparently keep facing the original direction until I manually turned it, so the "hud" wouldn't be available, hand harvesting resources wouldn't work, movement would be jacked up, and so on.
I think simply adding some VR functionality doesn't cut it. It's a UI to be separately developed with VR-specific functionality in mind. Just like it just doesn't work well when a console controller-UI game is ported without augmenting for M/KB UI.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom