Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Could be, should be... lots of wishfull thinking, but ultimately, nothing came from this. I’m happily awaiting the new theories about the 17 or so extra mil they got 😁

Holy Christ. If someone moves your shoes out of view, do you assume you don’t have any shoes?

(And yes the timing of that share option being taken up is interesting as it happens ;))

Holy Christ. If someone moves your shoes out of view, do you assume you don’t have any shoes?

(And yes the timing of that share option being taken up is interesting as it happens ;))
I’m not the religious type 😉, but I feel you and a lot of other guys here see a lot more than there is to it. Seriously, 10 threads of the same , and in the meanwhile star citizen is evolving better and better. To each is own but there is steady progres. Don’t forget how long Elite IV was in developement, these things aren’t easy to make.

I don’t know man, I played a bit 2 data ago, and I’m pretty impressed by what I see.

That's all very well, and I'm glad you are having fun!

But, would you perhaps mind sharing with us the actual activities you were involved in? What progress did your character make? What gameplay elements most excited you? How many systems did you explore? Did you make an Org and build a base? Did you catch a Sandwurmie?

But, would you perhaps mind sharing with us the actual activities you were involved in? What progress did your character make? What gameplay elements most excited you? How many systems did you explore? Did you make an Org and build a base? Did you catch a Sandwurmie?
now you're just beeing silly. I was willing to answer, untill halfway of your post.

I’m not the religious type 😉

and in the meanwhile star citizen is evolving better and better

Preach brother...

Don’t forget how long Elite IV was in developement

We don’t know how long ED was in the small-team skunkwork phase.

Its full production run was surprisingly short however. Two years:

The exact start of 'full production' for ED is a bit fuzzy, but using the end of Kickstarter seems a reasonable line to draw for a rough estimate:

Q: Okay, let’s talk about the team. How many people are working on the game right now?

A: It’s still at a skunkworks stage now, and the plan is to increase it beyond that once we’ve got the thumbs up from Kickstarter. [6 November 2012]

I have wanted to do a sequel for a long time, and there has been 'skunk-works' development, on and off for quite some time, but full on development is mostly since (and somewhat during) the Kickstarter campaign.

If we take the Kickstarter 'thumbs up' as an approximate start point for full production, then the dates look like this:

APPROXIMATE 'FULL PRODUCTION' DATES:

Elite Dangerous:

Approx: 2 Years

You may remember the alpha and beta phases that took place during that period ;)

You may also have noticed that SC left the small-team skunkwork phase quite some time ago...

(They’ve invented large team skunkwork instead. Never been done before ;))

Last edited:
Preach brother...

We don’t know how long ED was in the small-team skunkwork phase.

Its full production run was surprisingly short however. Two years:

You may remember the alpha and beta phases that took place during that period ;)
Hey man, I love Elite as much as most here, played my first version on my Amiga 500. Elite 2 blew my mind a few years later. But I have been following the production of Elite IV for a long time. Vendetta Online was my go to space 'sim' waiting for a new Elite, and I started playing that in 2002. I remember an interview with Brabam in 2008 where Elite 4 was supposed to be almost ready, but there were a lot of problems with the networking. Anyway, it was a long wait for Elite 4 (Elite Dangerous now) but a lot less complaining than now with star citizen. Must be the times I guess, anyway, to each his own, I guess my point is you guys whine too much. Enjoy what is out there and wait and see to what comes.

The Dark Lord says that some of that $17.5 million was used for the settlement in the Crytek case. I hope we can someday find out if this is true.

Don’t forget how long Elite IV was in developement, these things aren’t easy to make.
Doesn't really matter, now does it, since it never came out.

I remember an interview with Brabam in 2008 where Elite 4 was supposed to be almost ready,
[citation needed]

Oh, and if we're talking about “let's not forget” things, but keep them on-topic, let's not forget that Star Citizen has essentially been in development for almost a quarter of a century…

Last edited:
Well I remember the 2 Kickstarters, CIG had a beautiful demo and FD had nothing to show us for several weeks and what they showed was clearly a quick mock up, so whatever development was done in 2008 it wasn't used in the KS otherwise we would have seen it from the get go. Based on what we have seen since the first release was most certainly not 6 years plus of development.

I think SC have nailed the mix of video and releases so well that it feels like the game is in constant development and evolving all the time, so it has a freshness to it. It's only if you look behind the veneer and reflect the time span, cost and what is actually in game against what is supposed to be there that a more shall we say cynical view appears.

I think SC have nailed the mix of video and releases so well that it feels like the game is in constant development and evolving all the time, so it has a freshness to it. It's only if you look behind the veneer and reflect the time span, cost and what is actually in game against what is supposed to be there that a more shall we say cynical view appears.

Consider for a moment that CI-G have released more videos featuring Sandwurmies, than they have implemented Sandwurmies in-game, or indeed games.

I remember an interview with Brabam in 2008 where Elite 4 was supposed to be almost ready, but there were a lot of problems with the networking

As Tippis says, citation needed. The Outsider was aiming to launch in 2008, and then stumbled on further towards a 2011 launch. 'Elite 4' was supposed to follow on after, but was still at the planning stage. The odds of them aiming to launch two flagship games simultaneously in 2008 seems pretty unlikely.

If he was talking about R&D hitting a technical wall (as it did, re networking, back in 2000), then that's just... skunkwork. It's not the same as full production. It's not 200 people working on a project. Or 300. Or 500.

It's not the same as SC...

Surely you can see that? That SC having a contiguous period of high dev numbers dedicated to the game (110 by Oct 2013, 268 by June 2014, 500+ now...) is not the same as the ED project dialling up to 70-100 staff two years before launch.

I mean I know you won't see this. Because you're trying desperately to normalise SC's very peculiar dev. But you really should be able to see the difference.

Anyway, it was a long wait for Elite 4 (Elite Dangerous now) but a lot less complaining than now with star citizen.

That probably relates to the fact that Braben & co didn't charge anyone $45 dollars while working on it. Or $350 for an Asp. Or $2000 for an Anaconda...

Makes all the difference on the righteous annoyance front re poor delivery ;)

I guess my point is you guys whine too much.

Yeah see, if it's factual, and fair, it's not called whining. It's called criticism. Sorry if such things annoy you. Waving around petulant slurs in response isn't going to stop it though.

If it helps we also do pointing and laughing as well ;)

Enjoy what is out there and wait and see to what comes.

Am doing thanks :)

Last edited:

How how much jank was involved!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom