Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've been spending the afternoon tinkering in 3.8. As usual, I quite like the Space Legs bit, floaty spaceships not so much.

I decided to start off in Lorville. There is a lot of walking involved to get anywhere. Especially when the direct train to Teasa is glitched and you need to do a two-train journey via Central. It's very confusing when the Hurston Rapid Transit map shows Leavsden Station and Metro Center as two different places when the Lorville Site Map shows they're actually at the same place!

Poor persistence support is also very annoying. I've lost count of the number of times I've woken up back in the Lorville bunk because the ship controls glitched and killed me or I've simply had to log off during the long QT travelling sessions.

At one point the Spaceport Line glitched with a train stuck at the platform. That forced people to take the Central Line train then the Commerce Line train to get to the space port. I also caught the train once to Gate 01. Boy, did that take a long time!

The canopy of my Mustang kept on opening and closing at random during flight and from reading the global chat, there's plenty of more glitches and bugs. When I landed on Microtech the snowstorm outside was inside my cockpit.

In short, it feels like there is a vast amount of work still to do before SC is going to be really playable. The planetary and city environments in SC are absolutely awesome. They're the highlight of the game for me. I wonder if that's because those environments don't exist in Elite?

On the other hand, I'm so happy that Frontier decided to concentrate on getting the space ships and space environment (procedural systems and galaxy) done properly first. Intra-system travel in Elite is so much better than the QT in SC. As for the flight model, nothing more needs to be said.
3.8 is the most broken patch we've had for a long time, perhaps if you had tried during 3.7 it might have been a better experience. The patch certainly hasn't helped folks who merely dip their toes in SC infrequently or the new backers...

still waiting for how ships "stop on a dime"

Yeah I’m not really getting involved in the actual argument ;). I haven’t seen enough combat footage to judge re dead stops from speed.

There definitely is a ‘no clip’ / inertia-less quality to some ongoing footage in general though. That jump point traversal is just horrible from a ‘stop start’ perspective.

Watched a bit of the German guy’s stream and saw various bizarre fly-bys which seemed to involve dead stops / extreme momentum switches. (Can’t find a great example right now, so have this pilot no-clipping instead ;))

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/527029665?t=2h56m00s

IAt one point the Spaceport Line glitched with a train stuck at the platform. That forced people to take the Central Line train then the Commerce Line train to get to the space port. I also caught the train once to Gate 01. Boy, did that take a long time!

Wow, they've really captured that London Underground experience down to a T!

...How is the game - buggy, but some of us manage to enjoy it. It is in worse shape than it has been in in a while right now. After the latest patch.

Genuinely sad to hear that. When all is said and done, another decent space game would be very welcome.

I decided to start off in Lorville. There is a lot of walking involved to get anywhere. Especially when the direct train to Teasa is glitched and you need to do a two-train journey via Central. It's very confusing when the Hurston Rapid Transit map shows Leavsden Station and Metro Center as two different places when the Lorville Site Map shows they're actually at the same place!

Poor persistence support is also very annoying. I've lost count of the number of times I've woken up back in the Lorville bunk because the ship controls glitched and killed me or I've simply had to log off during the long QT travelling sessions.

At one point the Spaceport Line glitched with a train stuck at the platform. That forced people to take the Central Line train then the Commerce Line train to get to the space port. I also caught the train once to Gate 01. Boy, did that take a long time!

This basically sounds like trying to get to work on Northern trains.

Since I've been put off my usual job of trucking cargo by the sheer instability of 3.8, I've been trying my hand back as a miner..and quite enjoying it too. I've been dragging in around 10-30k per run in a Prospector...which is pretty lightweight earnings compared to my usual hauling in a Caterpillar... but it's certainly engaging.

Ci¬G seems to have the balance of challenge and reward about right, you have to cherry pick which materials you mine, which rocks to look for and which fragments of the cracked rock to extract for a higher yield. The main thing is you don't feel like it's a grind when you're doing it, it takes a bit of time and patience, a bit of skill but it's rarely boring. The variety and capabilities of the new mining heads also add a bit of complexity to the mining and temper your choices on what you can mine and what you can't. Like most things, it's a learning curve and gets easier and better with experience (See SaltEMike's vid below)

They've adjusted the RNG spawn rate and yield of the rocks...made some larger and more lucrative deposits that are difficult if not impossible to crack open with standard size 1 mining heads or a single prospector...adding a higher power head makes a bit of difference but some of the bigger rocks with larger mass and/or higher resistance need a multicrewed Mole to crack, or a pair of Prospectors working in tandem. I also noticed that they've massively reduced the amount of inert material with higher % of raw ore per chunk...the inert material sometimes breaks off in separate large pieces too which is nice, leaving the raw extractable ore all packed into one or more smaller pieces.

It's been a refreshing change from the hauling as much as it's not as financially rewarding (as yet), I still feel like it's a good time versus effort mechanic compared to even how it used to be. A definite improvement all round and with the Prospectors now being rentable and buyable in game removing the old hard cash pay wall aspect of mining in SC...it's worth a bash.

Mining techniques and locations...

Last edited:
Just getting caught up with gaming news, and it looks like hellion is no more. Seems like CIG really does need $250M + to develop the game most of us want to play.

I would be interested in ED, costs too. I can see it costing billions to make games in the future.

Just getting caught up with gaming news, and it looks like hellion is no more. Seems like CIG really does need $250M + to develop the game most of us want to play.

I would be interested in ED, costs too. I can see it costing billions to make games in the future.

Nobody is ever going to create a game that 'most of us want to play'. Not unless 'us' is a very small subset of the gaming community. Even amongst the subset that is interested in 'space games', there are very differing ideas as to what is wanted. CIG has managed to convince its backers that it is going to deliver exactly what they each want, even when what they want isn't remotely achievable in a single game (ege mods and private servers, in a MMO - this can't work, without fracturing the 'MMO universe' into pieces). As for costs, figures are hard to come by, and it is very difficult to make direct comparisons, but don't think there is much room for doubt that the 'build it in dribs and drabs, trying to keep it working while you make fundamental revisions' method that CIG works to is inefficient and expensive. Whatever they end up with, at best the finished product (if there ever is one) could have been done more quickly and cheaper by conventional means. Except of course that if CIG had been honest about what was achievable, and how long it was going to take, they'd never have raised the funds in the first place.

Nobody is ever going to create a game that 'most of us want to play'. Not unless 'us' is a very small subset of the gaming community. Even amongst the subset that is interested in 'space games', there are very differing ideas as to what is wanted. CIG has managed to convince its backers that it is going to deliver exactly what they each want, even when what they want isn't remotely achievable in a single game (ege mods and private servers, in a MMO - this can't work, without fracturing the 'MMO universe' into pieces). As for costs, figures are hard to come by, and it is very difficult to make direct comparisons, but don't think there is much room for doubt that the 'build it in dribs and drabs, trying to keep it working while you make fundamental revisions' method that CIG works to is inefficient and expensive. Whatever they end up with, at best the finished product (if there ever is one) could have been done more quickly and cheaper by conventional means. Except of course that if CIG had been honest about what was achievable, and how long it was going to take, they'd never have raised the funds in the first place.

Would have, could have, should have. Your crying over spilt milk. 2019 has been the most successful year for CIG, so one would say they are on the right course....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom