Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Took a dive into Spectrum and the debates over PvP are still raging.
As always the PvP players make two errors:
  • They think PvE players who constantly get ganked while defenseless (while mining for example) won't leave to play other games, thus hurting the survivability of the game itself.

• They hate ED's modes. They never consider that these modes increase sales (from players who never buy PvP-only games), thus giving the overall game a chance to succeed. And some of those PvE players will eventually try PvP.
One thing that set them off this time was this YouTube video: ( Star Citizen Mega PvP Deep Dive (OOC) )

I hate this sort of crap, like needing to drink and eat, whats the point? pointless mechanic that's more annoying than anything.

Please no one give Chris the idea that players need to take a shower and a dump every day.
Good news!
Source: https://youtu.be/SNeFRSoMZuI?t=2389
interactions with other NPCs will be a problem if you haven't taken a shower in quite a while

There was no PvP as such IIRC.

It was just a gimmick, you request to duel someone, you hit each other until someone is about to die, "PvP" ends. It's entirely optional, there just to say the game "has" pvp.
In SWtoR you went into 'PVP Zones' for the PVP and PVP gear was separate to PVE gear, (when I played at least). You earned currency from the warzones to buy PVP gear and upgrade to the next tier. In terms of the zones themselves there was a couple of sport ball based ones, (cant remember name), some capture the flag, (base) ones. These were mostly 3 bases, whoever holds 2 of them their score would tick up and you got points for defending and kills. IIRC they were 8v8 mostly, then later there were some 4v4 PVP scenarios in little zones with a timed shrinking arena area too, was alright, pretty fun tbh.

You could also run about the game world flagged for PVP and off the cuff fights would break at at choke points such as the entrances to group PVE content areas.

Can someone explain this? Perhaps @sovapid or @Intrepid3D

I thought ships travelled different speeds in QT depending on the drive they have installed. How are they staying close to each other?

Its Quantum Linking. if you're in a party, all aligned with the same jump destination and all have your Quantum Drive spooled up one of your party gets designated lead, so when he/she holds down B to jump you all jump together automatically.

Before i figured out it was a thing, found it by accident. It is pretty cool watching everyone around you enter, fly and exit QT together.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC78O-YmcE0

Last edited:
I thought Star Citizen only offered private groups capped at 40 players

Don't know, i think the most we ever had in a party was 8, some streamers have much larger parties then that, currently the severs only hold 50 players anyway.

Quantum Linking, for real?

Is that an official name for it?

Apparently so.

Don't know, i think the most we ever had in a party was 8, some streamers have much larger parties then that, currently the severs only hold 50 players anyway.

Apparently so.

That's what I mean, everytime you play Star Citizen there are max number of players in the entire star system which you can't leave (thought it had gone down to 40 but for argument sake 50) so you might as well be in a private group.

That's what I mean, everytime you play Star Citizen there are max number of players in the entire star system which you can't leave (thought it had gone down to 40 but for argument sake 50) so you might as well be in a private group.

It went down to 40 for the Xeno Threat event to take some load off the servers, they also move Delemar with its LZ Levski to its proper place in the Nyx System, Delemar is more a very large asteroid, so small, ideal first candidate for celestial body traversal testing, its done its job now so they moved it to its proper place and to take a bit more load off the server.
Now that the event is over the server cap is back up to 50. the reason for partying up is it makes it much easier to do things together, you can always see where everyone is in the game, you can share missions and physically link together when travelling around.

In SWtoR you went into 'PVP Zones' for the PVP and PVP gear was separate to PVE gear, (when I played at least). You earned currency from the warzones to buy PVP gear and upgrade to the next tier. In terms of the zones themselves there was a couple of sport ball based ones, (cant remember name), some capture the flag, (base) ones. These were mostly 3 bases, whoever holds 2 of them their score would tick up and you got points for defending and kills. IIRC they were 8v8 mostly, then later there were some 4v4 PVP scenarios in little zones with a timed shrinking arena area too, was alright, pretty fun tbh.

You could also run about the game world flagged for PVP and off the cuff fights would break at at choke points such as the entrances to group PVE content areas.
Yeah, so optional. PvP only zones and gear that are completely ignored by PvE players, nor can be used in PvE. Optional PvP flag for fighting anywhere else that PvE players never enable and can't be griefed.

Software is intangible, not physical. "Physical" ownership isn't required with software. And modifying something isn't making the underlying engine their "own creation".

It depends on the level of change IMO. While I agree with your statement in general there are examples out there where modders take the existing engine as a base but alter it to such a degree, adding features and enhancements that the original engine never had that the modded base engine can easily called "something new".

Taking a long hard look at Star Citizen.....I really dont see anything in there that Cryengine wasnt designed to do. The only thing CiG added was the hybrid 64-**not**64 localization grid which we can assume raises more problems for the whole game and doesnt change the game all that much mostly because CiG fails to utilize the addittional size metric in a meaningful way (still a single system, objects are more distanced but the additional space is just "nothing")

CiG is a bunch of modders at this point. They have a large staff of designers which explains the nice look of everything but they really aint doing a lot besides going through record fundings and promising the world

It depends on the level of change IMO. While I agree with your statement in general there are examples out there where modders take the existing engine as a base but alter it to such a degree, adding features and enhancements that the original engine never had that the modded base engine can easily called "something new".

Taking a long hard look at Star Citizen.....I really dont see anything in there that Cryengine wasnt designed to do. The only thing CiG added was the hybrid 64-**not**64 localization grid which we can assume raises more problems for the whole game and doesnt change the game all that much mostly because CiG fails to utilize the addittional size metric in a meaningful way (still a single system, objects are more distanced but the additional space is just "nothing")

CiG is a bunch of modders at this point. They have a large staff of designers which explains the nice look of everything but they really aint doing a lot besides going through record fundings and promising the world

Looking at it from an in game perspective, what difference other than its size would you expect? It would look the same if it was made in Unreal Engine, tho with a slightly different visual style.

Its Quantum Linking. if you're in a party, all aligned with the same jump destination and all have your Quantum Drive spooled up one of your party gets designated lead, so when he/she holds down B to jump you all jump together automatically.

Before i figured out it was a thing, found it by accident. It is pretty cool watching everyone around you enter, fly and exit QT together.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC78O-YmcE0

Thank you. Now that you mention it i do remember CIG talking about this some time ago.

they also move Delemar with its LZ Levski to its proper place in the Nyx System,

Oh come on, let's use the right words. They removed Delemar. There is no Nyx system in game to place it in.

Now, on some development branch they might have moved it, but we don't know that, and its irrelevant if they did, because we don't know they did that (and if you believe anything CIG say, i've got a bridge to sell you).

So you are saying there was no griefing/ganking in STtoR? How was it handled?
There was PvP servers and PvE servers. I picked PvE. In there you had PvP zones and could flag for PvP in the world, except for safe havens. I witnessed a couple of group PvP "events" where I hopped in for some casul fun even. The number of PvP servers declined over time.
There also were game modes for PvP arena battles and a module where you could fly around in starfighters vs players.

Apparently so.

They really like the quanta.

Top Bottom