Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Spaceships in other games aren't less detailed than the ones in SC because the developers are lazy or dumb or not talented. It's because the software engineers in those other games determined what the game engine can handle while delivering functioning gameplay loops on a reasonable time scale and budget.

Spaceships in other games aren't less detailed than the ones in SC because the developers are lazy or dumb or not talented. It's because the software engineers in those other games determined what the game engine can handle while delivering functioning gameplay loops on a reasonable time scale and budget.
Reminds me of the flowerpots in original FFXIV, that had so many polygons and were so detailed they would bog down the entire game just by having them on screen. Flowerpots. Ornamental, sitting outside shops. Made game ran like poo.

Having unlimited money and computing budget for models is nice and all - unless your resources are not really unlimited.

I do know all of this...being an ED fan and all. As far as I'm aware, I've never put forward an unfavourably critical view toward ED or any other space game. I reserve that totally for SC ;)

Last edited:
Horses for courses, I prefer the scale and attention to detail Ci¬G put into their ships, the interiors, the visuals...but that's strictly a personal preference. The ships in SC, however nice or industrial or aggressively designed they may be...all of them have absolutely zero realistic function or purpose in game. Nothing works, some are constantly being reworked or refactored, most are left in the semi broken state they were released in, all of them with no supporting gameplay to make them viable.

From a personal view again...I'd love the ships, interiors, visuals, personal armours, planetary tech and some of SC's actually working game mechanics (mining) set in the awe inspiring environment of Elite's galaxy...now there's a game I'd never leave.

Both games have done some things very right and a lot of things very wrong from a design sense...I love both for very different reasons...but there's nothing wrong with wishing the good bits of both were in the same imaginary game :)
Same. Look at the poor folks who have a Constellation Andromeda (a $225 real money ship) in SC and they can't even use the table in the crew lounge because simply calling it up is broken. It's a table.

The cargo hold in the Avenger Titan is still bugged, so that you fall through it when in Quantum. I was having that issue in 2018 when I bought one. I'm still having that issue in 2021. In fact, MANY ships have that issue where if you get up and move you get dropped into QT while your ship keeps going. The answer you're given? "Don't get out of your seat" which now nullifies the entire reason to be able to do so in Star Citizen.

I'd love SC ship interiors (functioning properly) in Elite Dangerous, and maybe in a few years we'll have an analog of that (without going so far out as to involve sheet physics) from ED, but I'd bet dollars to donuts we'll have that in ED before SQ42 ever releases from SC.

Your problem is with crowd funding any project, the whole nature of it is to ask for funding to make something happen.

Nope. My problem is with crowdfunders who add endless stretch goals promising the moon (literally in CIG’s case ;))

The same way other MMO's do it, have done it, Planet Side 2 for example, in its heyday it had thousands of people in the same instance all battling in the same area, they used server meshing, multiple servers each hosting a portion of players working in a lattice as one.
Its not new technology, its decades old.

PlanetSide 2 supported 1000s in one place yes. But CIG has claimed they’re aiming for hundreds of 1000s on a single shard. (And it’ll all be done by 2019 ;)). With 1000s then able to co-exist at one location within that. That’s a grander plan.

PS2 also didn’t have complications like populated ship interiors, or mobile capital ship battles using the same.

In fact they kept most of their core gameplay and tech requirements stripped down to functional basics. No rendering the bullet in the chamber, or messing around with diegetic menus which anyone can interact with, or rendering every grenade bouncing with attendant physics on each soldier’s chest. Their ships weren’t covered in little flappy panels which extended 'physicalised' engine parts for viewing. Etc etc. Wonder why that could be ;)

PS it’s interesting that you know what techniques they used because, as discussed recently, they’re pretty tight-lipped about the systems they relied on.

TLDR: Nope. CIG’s pitch is for something that extends far beyond anything PS2 ever achieved.

Last edited:
A lot of things said by people to be "impossible" turned out not to be.

Nothing about Star Citizen is impossible, extremely difficult, yes, pushing technology to its limits, yes but the technology is there.
What's impossible about all this is the idea that it will be Chris Roberts who delivers it. Not because of technological limitations, because of his personal limitations as a game designer and manager (also writer, director, developer). The one successful quality he has brought to the table is salesmanship (also nepotism).

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
This tank thing. I may have missed what is the gameplay value proposition it has been sold on. I mean, why a tank when any other medium or large ship prolly has more firepower, armour and better/faster mobility? I am sure there is something I may have missed.

This tank thing. I may have missed what is the gameplay value proposition it has been sold on. I mean, why a tank when any other medium or large ship prolly has more firepower, armour and better/faster mobility? I am sure there is something I may have missed.
Two things:
  • to make the Crusader Starlifter look good and useful
  • As target for bombers 🤣…. Brrrrrrrrrr

They can be used to defend the as-yet-developed bases built on the as-yet-functional land claims that people bought with real money.

They can be used to defend the as-yet-developed bases built on the as-yet-functional land claims that people bought with real money.
I remember some years ago hearing a joke that any day now CR was going to start selling imaginary land in his imaginary universe to go along with the imaginary ships you can already buy, and I'll be damned if they didn't actually go and do it, too. Where does it end?

OK, my area of expertise, all that tech talk goes over my head :)

Old days - You took your business plan to a bank or other official lender, depending on market conditions they either threw money at anything or said no to everything pretending they knew what the business plan actually was. Bank Managers were and are not business people but they liked to think they were. The other way was Angel Investors (rich investors like Caulder or 'Dragons Den' type who want a % but usually do Due Diligence or emply people to do so)

New ways - P2P & Crowdfunding - usually trusting on passing on Due Diligence to the platform providing the 'opportunity'. Now the important thing here is that the average person knows nothing about investing, doesnt know whats possible and whats a plain scam. Thats why scams work coz they promise high returns for little risk and people just fall headlong into the dream instead of knowing how to analyse the reality. Stock Market suffers from this too, few big players and millions of small investors of varying skills - often using companies who may know what theyre doing or not, hedge funds for Pension Providers for example.

Crowd funding is a way of basically making money off the least knowledgable person in the entire marketplace. The 'product' is usually a dream that taps into something missing / a gap in the market and as its only a small investment its a mindset of 'if it doesnt work it doesnt work, no major loss'. Some are genuine products with serious people in charge who have either failed the usual way to get money or dont want to give away their % or want to test the market for their product. A lot are just fanciful ideas that will never come to fruition. Some are outright scams. Crowdfunding today is the scammers dream and plenty are in on the act.

So its not unusual to use this funding model, but its also not unusual to see stories of 'I invested in 10 and 4 failed' - so 40% shouldn't have been given the money at all, it just wasnt realistic but because its a small investment its written off. People think and are given the idea they are playing the percentages in a clever way, they are not, they are being taken for a ride.

Its not unusual either for an outright scam to invent problems and hold-ups to extract more money from people either or say 'its just around the corner' or 'as soon as ABC happens youll get your returns and we just need this to get there'

Ive seen to many dreams pitches, too many scams and too many people who think they can do something they clearly cant to be anything but cynical about SC. Especially now in 2021 with not even a single player SQ42.

The first thing in the game that technology cant solve is Chris Roberts and the clan around him, they arent doing this for the game or for the players, they are doing it because its an absolute gold-mine, the more they make people dream the more money they make. This can only last so long but the less they get held to account the more brazen they become. They now feel they can say 'Itll be done when its done' with impunity.

The second thing technology cant solve is that the moment its actually invented or available every other competitor will use it to do the same thing only better. If it was available now every other company would be using it. Theres enough money in a 'millions in one shard' game of any type whatsoever that a quick knock-off would make millions even if just a PVP Battle Royale and nothing else. Theres a reason that hasnt happened. If the ratio of engineers to artists at CIG was 4-1 they might have a chance and be believable that they are actually trying, with the actual ration of 1-4 it clearly shows what they can do and what they cant do and where they think the money is and what the priority is and its not in inventing tech, its inventing words to make it sound like something is happening or something hasnt been done before.

Having faith is fine but have faith in the one who tells you the truth regardless how obnoxious they might be not the one who repeatedly lies but pretends to be your friend. Thats not faith, thats an inability to spot a confidence trickster playing on your emotions who doesn't care about you at all and just sees you as easy money. Genuine people find it hard to spot confidence scams because they cant believe other people arent like them. They see mistakes instead of outright lies.

Shhh, people almost forgotten that in all reality SQ 42 is due at least 2-5 years before SC and they dont want reminding that without the easier Single Player SQ 42 there will be no SC....and where is SQ42 right now? Or rather when is SQ 42 now?...'It'll be done when its done'. When SQ42 is released Ill believe SC might be possible.

I'm asking for objectivity what you gave me was a very long winded way of saying "i don't trust it, its a lie, its a scam" more abstracts, your opinion. Which i don't share.

This is the problem with this, Until ultimately SC is dead and buried, or release as intended, everything around it is speculation.

Top Bottom