Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

"overlap"?? that sounds like some kind of bug.
If they have implemented simplified orbits, it is, as it could/should have been tested analytically. If they use full Newtonian mechanics to move stuff, then it's not, as with more than 2 bodies, there's no general solution to the equation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-body_problem

I'll use the opportunity to gratuitously and mightily recommend the book trilogy whose first volume bears the same name: The Three-body Problem, by Liu Cixin. It's some of the best modern sci-fi I've read, and being from a chinese author, it has a distinctly different style to western scifi. I don't recommend reading synopsis or anything about the series. Go in blind.

It's all go in Server Meshing land. From 5 teams (13 engineers, 2 designers) around April...

To 8 teams (25 engineers, 1 designer) now...

A8NDYCZ.png

• Actor Feature Team (1 engineer) [NEW]
  • Engineering (1 engineer)
  • Game Services Team (0 designers [-1], 6 engineers [+5])
  • Mission Feature Team (1 designer, 1 engineer)
  • Network Team (6 engineers)
  • Persistent Teach Team (4 engineers)
  • Systemic Services and Tools Team (2 engineers) [NEW]
  • US PU Gameplay Feature Team (4 engineers) [NEW]

25 engineers.

This is gonna be cooked in no time ;)

EDIT: The 'Game Services Team' ramping up suggests that could be the Turbulent networking team perhaps.

This doesnt seem that odd. Networking and Persistent team working on the core functionality. Then once server meshing is some state close to where it can be used everything else in the game that has already been created has to get updated to use it.

And I mean "not that odd" given CIG's funding and development model.

This doesnt seem that odd. Networking and Persistent team working on the core functionality. Then once server meshing is some state close to where it can be used everything else in the game that has already been created has to get updated to use it.

So you're saying it's basically functional now, and that explains the numbers ramping up, as ancillary teams get to grips with it and apply it to the game?

I like your optimism ;)

So you're saying it's basically functional now, and that explains the numbers ramping up, as ancillary teams get to grips with it and apply it to the game?

I like your optimism ;)

Few people on a major tech : CIG don't know were priorities are

A lot of people on a major tech : it's a bad sign, something is wrong

Perhaps you should consider that before really making progress on server meshing, CIG needed the major icache tech, which is announced for this year.

For me, nothing surprising seeing a switch of prioritiy in favor of SM near the completion of icache.

Perhaps you should consider that before really making progress on server meshing, CIG needed the major icache tech, which is announced for this year.

For me, nothing surprising seeing a switch of prioritiy in favor of SM near the completion of icache.

The only issue with this is not the number of people but the timing. The second decade of development of an online, persistent game will start soon and yet the core tech for such a game is in early stages.

Generally, I wouldn't read much into the progress tracker, it only states how many people will work when on what. It does not even mean all these people will be on the task all the time or that the task is going to be worked on continuously. It is basically a pretend-estimation, as all estimations beyond a month are.

ICache is already in. Some dude could store his physicalised bottles.

The only issue with this is not the number of people but the timing. The second decade of development of an online, persistent game will start soon and yet the core tech for such a game is in early stages.

Generally, I wouldn't read much into the progress tracker, it only states how many people will work when on what. It does not even mean all these people will be on the task all the time or that the task is going to be worked on continuously. It is basically a pretend-estimation, as all estimations beyond a month are.
It's insane. Fundamental core tech still being implemented after this long in development.

While digging around on a few Freelancer sites I found this statement on one of the Forums:

"I actually have a SC account, with a ship and Squadron42. But at the moment there isn't much to do tbh. I have good hopes, but even it'll eventually turn out to be vaporware I won't regret it; my buying of the game was also intended as a salute to Chris Roberts." 5/11/2017

My emphasis on the final part.

Strange sort of way to give a middle finger salute :p

Top Bottom