Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I think SC, no matter who was in charge would have ended up in the dustbin of unrealised projects due to budget constraints.

But you might be right, how would you or i even know? Listen to the SlatEMike video i put up, he's talking to two ex-CIG dev's about backseat game developers.

What i do know, for me personally, is that this project is worth sticking with, if it comes to nothing, well i'm an adult and i knew that was always going to be a possibility. Risk vs reward, i'm 45, not 12, i understand what that is.

Your choice of course ;)

I wasn't really being a backseat developer though, more of a back seat project manager, or should i say front seat project manager, since i spent several years as one ;)

You should read the original message from StanleyDunkan... you seem to have missed the point

Oh, you're right, he did say he now was more looking forward to SC because SQ42 was effectively released with CoD:IW.

So, i guess if while waiting for SC to release, some other company releases a game like SC, then player preferences might shift again.

Good point!

And as @Intrepid3D noted, we don't tend to hear of some games until they are 2 years away from release, so it is conceivable there is a SC killer out there in the works and will release before SC does.

Now that would be a blow for the whales who have invested thousands into SC.

Oh, you're right, he did say he now was more looking forward to SC because SQ42 was effectively released with CoD:IW.

So, i guess if while waiting for SC to release, some other company releases a game like SC, then player preferences might shift again.

Good point!

And as @Intrepid3D noted, we don't tend to hear of some games until they are 2 years away from release, so it is conceivable there is a SC killer out there in the works and will release before SC does.

Now that would be a blow for the whales who have invested thousands into SC.
Not really a blow, I'm all for potentially good space games (looking at you Starfield)...I'd just buy that as well :D

I didn't really feel robbed by supporting the development of Hellion either, I gave them a fair bit but the development unfortunately failed. I will say that overall, Zero-G were far better stewards of my miniscule investment than Ci¬G ever were or will be though ;)

Last edited:
I'm more impatient for Starfied than SQ42. As I love the whole Teso serie, I'm sure I will love Starfield.

Hmm... i like the Elder Scrolls games and been a big fan since Daggerfall, but while graphics have improved the gameplay and replayability i feel has got worse, although i'd rate Skyrim over Oblivion. Morrowind was the best to date in my opinion.

Bethseda also have a bit of a bad rep for buggy games.

So i'll hold my excitement in check for Starfield until i see a released product and can evaluate it properly.

Publishers are not going to fund games with this much intended scope and detail, because they know costs can quickly spiral out of control.

CIG has a publisher these days:

When discussing the investment money in their financial blog, CIG firewall it from player funding. IE for 2019:

Total Pledges & Income: $60,717,000
Total Costs Capex & Investment: $70,431,000
= -$9,715,000
Cumulative Net Position: -$2,720,000

But...

Cumulative Net Position After Investments: $60,530,000

Due to the $45m in 2018 & $17.25m in 2019.

Backer money hasn’t done the trick. The Calders cash came to the rescue, and filled the gap.

That will mean they want a return though, in some form or other. And they won’t wait forever.

Is that true?
Just how it seems to be, and so far, it seems to be how it's going. I started thinking this back when Holo-Me came out. Noone asked for that, I dont recall anything like polls being done, etc, it just happened. So it makes sense they're working on other things in the background, like Carriers, and then when & if good to go, they market and release it.

I prefer this way, since you can at least do some things, instead of having to wait till everything is done, like SC seems to be doing. When SC is really playable and persistant, they'll begin ironing out the bugs that come with everyone playing at the same time. Can.not.wait!

Publishers are not going to fund games with this much intended scope and detail, because they know costs can quickly spiral out of control.

With Star Citizen you are not buying a completed game that has its costs locked in to it and now you're trying to recover those costs and hopefully make a profit.
Yes, you are asking people to invest in your idea, not something gamers normally do. but it happens in other walks of life every day.

I'll give you an example of something that we as gamers have some knowledge of.

Due to a car crash of events AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) was on the brink of going bust around 2015, their share price at under $2 reflected that.

Long story short they pulled themselves out of it by creating some excellent products that sold is huge numbers, now they make the best X86 Processors, they make all the hardware for all the consoles, Samsung are using their chips in their phones and tablets, they are about to buy another tech company for $35 Billion.
These days they are trading at $85 to $95 a share.

Had you bought $20,000 of shares in 2015 you would now be $980,000 better off, the risk was you bought $20,000 of shares and they go bust, you lose your $20,000.

Backers, with varying degrees of pocket depth are risking whatever they think is worth it to get the game no one else will make at the end of it, or nothing, that's the risk.

kBbuULj.png
So what you’re saying is that CIG could be saved if the Dark Web decides to use grey market ships to launder their money, thus artificially increasing demand for the actual game to absurd levels, allowing CIG to charge premium+ prices for inferior products as well. Got it. :D (y)

Last edited:
I want to believe, but just a bit too soon for Starfield.

I remember how awesome this trailer was back few years ago:

I wasn't expecting for a game developed by Ubisoft to flop like that.

There is seem to be a trend going for games and their counterparts to flop with fireworks - on one side it's concerning, on the other side it make Star Citizen look better and better. If even Mega Corporations like Bethesda and Ubisoft can fail, and now Frontier joins them, well it just becomes normal.

And when SC also fails, it will make companies like Larian look even better! :D

on one side it's concerning, on the other side it make Star Citizen look better and better. If even Mega Corporations like Bethesda and Ubisoft can fail, and now Frontier joins them, well it just becomes normal.

Why?

Approach X stumbles therefore approach Y must be solid?

(A more pertinent question might be: Why does SC inspire this type of magical thinking in people? ;))

As Intrepid noted earlier, SC still risks failing as a launch product. If that were to occur, it would just have been failing very slowly over this intervening decade ;)

It seems peculiar to see it as a validated model prior to launch, at any rate.

Also i am curios, why CR moving to UK, has such a big impact?

You really know nothing about CR and his management style?

Here an interesting read from 2016

In short, he's a micromanager, obsessed with minute details, often sending things for rework over tiny things, and he doesn't like people who tell him no, so the only people who work for him long are people who say yes to everything he asks. In short, he surrounds himself with yes men, and that rarely works out well for projects.

His going to the UK is probably a tragedy for the UK team and a blessing for the US team. The US team might finally be able to get some stuff done while he is across the pond, but the hope for SQ42 actually shipping at some point has probably gone out of the window.

There is a reason that "make that pixel green, not blue" is a meme among skeptics, he actually said it.

88% on Steam for BG3 vs 31% for Odyssey.

Unfortunately, no reviews at all for SC anywhere. Anyone who writes a "review" of the alpha will have to face the blinding armour of Joe Blobbers as he rushes to CIG's defense in the comments.

You really know nothing about CR and his management style?

Here an interesting read from 2016

In short, he's a micromanager, obsessed with minute details, often sending things for rework over tiny things, and he doesn't like people who tell him no, so the only people who work for him long are people who say yes to everything he asks. In short, he surrounds himself with yes men, and that rarely works out well for projects.

His going to the UK is probably a tragedy for the UK team and a blessing for the US team. The US team might finally be able to get some stuff done while he is across the pond, but the hope for SQ42 actually shipping at some point has probably gone out of the window.

There is a reason that "make that pixel green, not blue" is a meme among skeptics, he actually said it.

Unfortunately, no reviews at all for SC anywhere. Anyone who writes a "review" of the alpha will have to face the blinding armour of Joe Blobbers as he rushes to CIG's defense in the comments.
Are US and UK teams work on different games? Or different aspect of the games?

Are US and UK teams work on different games? Or different aspect of the games?

Generally yes, with UK focused on SQ42 and US/Germany focusing on SC/Engine. There is also Turbulent in Canada which CIG now have a stake in that initially were the website guys, but also do marketing, and apparently now are working on the actual game. Its never been made clear if CIG's 700 employees are all direct employees or that number also includes contractors/third parties.

However, over the years, we've also heard that the UK team were also working on SC, and i might be misremembering, but as i recall, this was during the years of SQ42 radio silence from CIG, circa 2017/2018, before CIG announced they had effectively thrown out the previous missions for SQ42 and were redoing them all.

Back
Top Bottom