Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I'll go even further...since I posted Kate's video, this forum has gained a few more detractors to balance it out. Where are they all coming from... Is there a speshul place on t'interweb they all hang out just waiting for somebody to mention they like Star Citizen then head off to fire up the FDev forum for a rant? :unsure:

Yes, we have a super sekrit forum on teh interwebs where we all hang out. :D

Yeah you forgot the role-playing. There's a lot of player making up whole background stories to their petty BGS wars. Of course we communists treaded them all into the muck. It's mostly just anime imperial power fantasies anyway.

Nah, if we are going for roleplaying then SC fans have ED beat. I mean...

ygmSGD9.jpg

Can i get confirmation of this from someone else please? Because i've never heard of NPC pirates (or any sort of NPC in spaceships) outside missions and scripted events.

@Mole HD ?
Yes I can confirm you could get pulled out of QT by NPC (no idea if that is still there)… but I’m quite sure it was an scripted event too.

Christ man, don't make Stuart pull out his list 😁

Just focusing on EDO foot stuff though, there are some pretty obvious ones:

• A ton of stealth mechanics and related mission types. [Cloning NPC IDs to bypass nested security zones, turning off alarms to allow industrial processes to be contaminated etc etc]
  • Combat versus NPCs that's pretty reliable. [With a modest spread of associated missions. Assassinations in an occupied settlement stand out as a novelty. (And tweaks like jump-pack verticality and the shield meta. We could argue over whether the last is something SC wants ;), but it's a system with some depth and repercussions.)]
  • A 'loot and craft' system. [Including the arc cutter tool for scavenging and break-ins etc]
  • Settlements generally as 'living locations' to be infiltrated or razed, or abandoned variants to be ransacked, restored or fought over. [The 'de-power' and 're-power' gameplay mechanic is notable here].
  • Combat zones where you can pick a side between two warring NPC groups.
Many of those aspects overlap, and individually have more depth to them than anything comparable in SC currently ¯\(ツ)

Could definitely make a case for SC having more weapon loadouts and options etc generally, but think it helps to have mainly reliable PvE opponents to use them on ;)
For what I've seen of EDO (still waiting the last patch to test it myself), the FPS combat missions are better than what we have in FPS missions in SC. I think I will enjoy it. But it seems also that all the FPS parts of EDO are disconnected from the main universe of ED. They are theme parks not tied to the main gameloop. And outside of FPS missions, no one use this new FPS mechanics, no PvP. Do you have FPS bounty hunters and pirates ?
That's what I love about SC, when you encounter a stranger on a planet or when someone is coming at you, you always look at his weapons wondering if you will have to fight for your life. This aspect seems to be completly absent of EDO, taking away a big interest from this new mechanism. FPS combat between bounty hunters and pirates is really intense and fun.

Thanks, do you recall what triggered it?
I can’t really say… RNG I guess… I remember that it was very rare event
edit: very rare and after getting pull out you landed away from the NPC so you only needed to wait for QT to be ready again and jumped with not a single shot fired at you

Yes I can confirm you could get pulled out of QT by NPC (no idea if that is still there)… but I’m quite sure it was an scripted event too.
This is correct. There is no evading an NPC pulling you out of QD. You're flying along and then randomly yanked from QD with no indication it will happen and no possibility of avoiding it.

For what I've seen of EDO (still waiting the last patch to test it myself), the FPS combat missions are better than what we have in FPS missions in SC. I think I will enjoy it. But it seems also that all the FPS parts of EDO are disconnected from the main universe of ED. They are theme parks not tied to the main gameloop.

I think it's worth noting the interaction with the Background Sim. The settlements personalise it, and your actions there influence it in turn. (So being able to track down the base of the local pirate crew, and wipe them out, is a pleasing new way to interact with the game world for me. And to get into trouble ;))

Settlements are pretty disconnected from the flight gameplay though, for sure. Being entirely on planetary surfaces they barely overlap with it. IE you can bombard them, and have to deal with air defences at the larger high security ones, but that's about it.

There is something to be said for the processes though. Descending over the new surfaces [when they work ;)] / seeing the moon you passed become backdrop on the horizon / marching under the belly of your ship after its dusty landing / summoning it after you've made your escape from your latest adventure. Those are all fine vibe staples in total, and happen because there's more reason to visit surfaces now.

The ground vehicle gets a bit more interaction with the FPS world. (They are OP against ground NPCs, so you can burn around blazing and blatting them within the settlements - and it works as a handy resupply point).

And outside of FPS missions, no one use this new FPS mechanics, no PvP. Do you have FPS bounty hunters and pirates ?
That's what I love about SC, when you encounter a stranger on a planet or when someone is coming at you, you always look at his weapons wondering if you will have to fight for your life. This aspect seems to be completly absent of EDO, taking away a big interest from this new mechanism. FPS combat between bounty hunters and pirates is really intense and fun.

It's absolutely possible in EDO, in ways that are mechanically comparable to SC (minus proximity chat). And people talk about encounters on Reddit time to time. But... due to ED's absurd scale, it seems to be pretty infrequent.

So although I could meet someone randomly at a settlement while playing, trounce them in a fight, and demand in chat that they drop all their salvaged goods... It hasn't happened so far ;). (In fairness I've been playing mainly in Solo, as it adds that extra bit of stability that any VR-head would say yes to right now ;). But Solo of course reduces the PvP player pool even further generally.)

I think more damning is that I went to a hot spot recently for a community goal, fought in combat zones completely in Open, and didn't see another player once on the field :/. (Plenty in the station, but with 7+ CZs to chose from, seemingly nobody went to the same High Risk one as me :/)

The fundamentals are there. But it's definitely not the area EDO is excelling in at the mo ;). (Possibly if/when they add Thargoids there will be more condensed player zones, and more reason to co-op up and get that group PvE on at least ¯\(ツ)/¯ )

Last edited:
For what I've seen of EDO (still waiting the last patch to test it myself), the FPS combat missions are better than what we have in FPS missions in SC. I think I will enjoy it. But it seems also that all the FPS parts of EDO are disconnected from the main universe of ED. They are theme parks not tied to the main gameloop. And outside of FPS missions, no one use this new FPS mechanics, no PvP. Do you have FPS bounty hunters and pirates ?

By stranger i presume you mean player, not NPC, because AFAIK, you don't randomly meet stranger NPCs in either game on planets (both are scripted due to missions or locations).

Then the same can happen in ED as well, in theory, although outside certain locations, because of the size of the galaxy, chances of meeting someone on a planet is very slim.

But the same can happen, you're going to look at them and wonder if you will have to fight for your life. So its exactly the same.

Nothing trigger it. It's random, like when the police scan your ship at station. Some patch ago, the Police also was able to interdict you during QT.

Ok. But its not like you can go hunting for pirates like this right? Just flying around in supercruise hoping you're going to get attacked by a pirate so you can claim their bounty?

Back
Top Bottom