Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

It happens for sure in EDO like once a year ? once a month ? It happens also x thousand times more in SC for sure. I can show you numerous proof of bounty hunting and murder by gun on foot for SC, can you for EDO ?

Right, just making sure you're not making a blanket statement there.

As for how often, absoloutely no idea, but i agree, it will be rare. Big galaxy, lots of planets, full size planets.

You could fit the whole of Star Citizen inside one small system in ED, as well as probably a few Skyrims.

And another Elite veteran giving SC a go due to the recent events...
Quite puzzled by seeing such an acomplished ED and RL pilot to give such high praise to SC flight model considering the horrible things I've read about from posters who talked with such authority and certain about how bad it was that one would think they not only were expert pilots but also veteran game developers.
And another fallacy bites the dust.

And another Elite veteran giving SC a go due to the recent events...
Quite puzzled by seeing such an acomplished ED and RL pilot to give such high praise to SC flight model considering the horrible things I've read about from posters who talked with such authority and certain about how bad it was that one would think they not only were expert pilots but also veteran game developers.
And another fallacy bites the dust.

Or, and hang in with me here, people have different opinions. Since CIG first implemented a flight model it had protractors and detractors, and with every change some of those protractors became detractors and detractors became protractors, and i'm not talking about skeptics here, i'm talking about fans of the game.

I'm also curious what being a RL pilot has to do with the flight model of spaceships that can fly sideways in an atmosphere (as you can see in the video you link).

Can i get confirmation of this from someone else please? Because i've never heard of NPC pirates (or any sort of NPC in spaceships) outside missions and scripted events.

@Mole HD ?
It used to happen quite frequently at one point...back in 3.6 or 3.7. Haven't had it happen for quite a while though, same as the interdictions by the cops. It might still be in there but I've certainly not had it happen for ages. I never have much of a crimestat though so no idea if the NPC coppers still interdict or not 🤷‍♂️

When it did occur it seemed scripted, Ci¬G never got the timings or frequency quite right...it was either interdiction hell or nothing at all. In the end, there were so many complaints they took it out...no idea if they've brought the NPC coppers back for when you have a crimestat or not...I'm not a criminal. The pirates have definitely gone though, outside of bounty hunting, I never see pirates at all.

Last edited:
By stranger i presume you mean player, not NPC, because AFAIK, you don't randomly meet stranger NPCs in either game on planets (both are scripted due to missions or locations).

Then the same can happen in ED as well, in theory, although outside certain locations, because of the size of the galaxy, chances of meeting someone on a planet is very slim.

But the same can happen, you're going to look at them and wonder if you will have to fight for your life. So its exactly the same.
If I see a random, apparently friendly or neutral ship at an outpost...and it does happen fairly frequently playing in the one system of SC, I usually scan the ship, find the owners name and message them asking their intent...usually, I'll get a message back saying they're friendly, just picking up cargo...etc, etc. If the emotes actually worked, we'd probably wave as we passed coming to and from the landing pads. Personal weapons are disabled in the no fire zones at outposts anyway...barring some of the dodgier drug dens... so it's hardly likely to turn into a gunfight at the OK corral or anything.

Last edited:
A big balance pass then?

How do you view this from a PvP perspective? A change for the better or the worse? Or you need time to test it?
Need time to test the initial changes...but overall, they look good to me since I usually fly one of the bigger ships with S3 shields. Now, my old Caterpillar has at last been promoted from floating loot piñata back to where it was previous to the 3.7 nerf hammer hitting it. I'm interested to see how the initial weapon and shield balancing goes once it's in, some will hate it...but I'm more hopeful now Ci¬G seem to be catering less toward the smaller fighters being so OP unless they get together and coordinate when attacking the larger cargo ships.

It's not about P2W, but it's a trade off with the cargo ships...slow and ungainly, poor (if any) forward facing pilot controlled weapons, decent turrets if you have them manned but also decent enough shield strength to withstand some random upstart in an Aurora MR ruining your day. Unlike ED, none of the larger ships are solo piloted PvP uberships...basically, they're cargo haulers and/or multicrew dependent, nothing more. There's absolutely nothing the likes of PvP build Anacondas, Corvettes or Cutters roaming around.

We'll see how it pans out :)

Last edited:
It used to happen quite frequently at one point...back in 3.6 or 3.7. Haven't had it happen for quite a while though, same as the interdictions by the cops. It might still be in there but I've certainly not had it happen for ages. I never have much of a crimestat though so no idea if the NPC coppers still interdict or not 🤷‍♂️

When it did occur it seemed scripted, Ci¬G never got the timings or frequency quite right...it was either interdiction hell or nothing at all. In the end, there were so many complaints they took it out...no idea if they've brought the NPC coppers back for when you have a crimestat or not...I'm not a criminal. The pirates have definitely gone though, outside of bounty hunting, I never see pirates at all.

Thanks Mole. Can always trust you to give me the skinny.

Spent an entertaining day with @Intrepid3D and @Susanna floating about in SC buying a Prospector and some mining upgrades, fighting the bugs and desync, sorting some of Susie's game settings out with Intrepid and me acting as erstwhile guides.

Not a bad way to spend the day...a couple of weird server crashes knocking everyone back to desktop, otherwise...it went not bad at all. We're all planning to meet up tomorrow so Susie can try out some Prospy mining once we get her HOTAS bindings set up...possibly a bit of ROC mining too once we get her kitted out with a Cutty black to ferry the ROC about in... the Cutty will also help in picking up the refined ores etc from the refinery once we get her confident on how all that works.

A bit of mining tomorrow helping Susie break some rocks co-op mining in a couple of Prospys...kinda my backyard in SC :)

Last edited:
so what ship did she get? 🤠
Prospector...she's basically as carebear as I am :D

She has enough aUEC now to buy a Cutty Black and a Roc too, as well as decent shields, weaps and QT drive for both those ships... so once she's more confident on how it all works, we can try other stuff too...a few shared bounties or FPS cave missions perhaps. I'll help her set up her HOTAS tomorrow, she's more confident using that rather than M/KB with using the HOTAS for a few years in ED so it'll make flying in SC a bit more familiar once we get it set up right. I recommended the Cutty Black for a general multirole PvE ship...but I'm a bit biased since apart from the MSR, it's still my favourite runabout :whistle:

I really enjoyed today, hope Susie and Intrepid did too :)

Last edited:
I see what you're doing here guys. Mole and Intrepid are the simps, and sovapid is hovering to get at another gank target. You guys are so transparent. :D

i can give prospector tips too! :cool:

my favorite spot is lyria in arcorp for quantanium mining. i go with the lancet for the mining laser and the surge, torpid, and optimum for the consumables.

prefer the lancet to the helix because of the big reduction of instability for quantanium. but you might want the helix if just going for the really big rocks of less volatile stuff.

i can give prospector tips too! :cool:

my favorite spot is lyria in arcorp for quantanium mining. i go with the lancet for the mining laser and the surge, torpid, and optimum for the consumables.

prefer the lancet to the helix because of the big reduction of instability for quantanium. but you might want the helix if just going for the really big rocks of less volatile stuff.
I'll start Susie off on the less volatile stuff like Agricium first, she's only ever used the multi-tool in SC for hand mining so far although she's very quick at picking up how it all works having spent a long time in ED. Once she's confident at using the components and the mining UI a bit more...we'll go for the expensive stuff that goes bang. Like your prospy loadout though, proper QTainium mining setup (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom