Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

How viable is mining? I've only done Halt Surveillance and some bounty missions. I've made a million UE so far but I'm looking to amass a bit more at a larger rate.
Both ROC mining and ship mining are decent ways to earn credits. ROC mining being the easiest way into mining and also the easiest way to earn aUEC outside of bounty hunting. Ship mining is more involved with the whole refining process, it also requires a lot of time and patience.

Yeah, this looks good. But maybe it's just the speed then, that throttles the quality down in these videos to avoid frame drops. As you describe it, it sounds pretty much like how the current planetary tech in EDO works. And personally, I wouldn't mind. But don't try to sell something like that to the current ED community, unless you have very stable nerves. Same goes for the "misty" background. Again, no problems with that, personally. But in DD you are currently shot down for much less than that...
The misty backgrounds are atmospheric effects...some planets or moons have a thick toxic atmosphere, some are clear...it also depends on weather and temperature, dust storms, snow storms...blizzards. All the planetary bodies in the Stanton system have an atmosphere of some sort, there's no airless moons as such.

Vid of a blizzard on Microtech back in 3.9. I don't like the planet textures on Microtech personally...too much visible and obvious tiling when seen from a distance....the weather is nice though :)

Last edited:
Both ROC mining and ship mining are decent ways to earn credits. ROC mining being the easiest way into mining and also the easiest way to earn aUEC outside of bounty hunting. Ship mining is more involved with the whole refining process, it also requires a lot of time and patience.
I've seen some videos of ship mining and that was my conclusion as well. I'll eventually get into it, but as I'm still learning the mechanics of the game, seemed like something in the backburner until I work my way up to it. What's a ship I should be looking towards that can carry an ROC and cargo space for what I mine?

I've seen some videos of ship mining and that was my conclusion as well. I'll eventually get into it, but as I'm still learning the mechanics of the game, seemed like something in the backburner until I work my way up to it. What's a ship I should be looking towards that can carry an ROC and cargo space for what I mine?
A Cutlass black is the Jack of all trades in SC, a kind of mini Python. A ROC fits perfectly in the back...plus it has 46 SCU of cargo space, decent abilities in a scrap... especially multicrewed in 3.14. The new combat balance, missile operator mode for a co-pilot and turret improvements in 3.14 turns the formerly paper tiger Cutty black into a fairly formidable beast when crewed up. I'm well biased though...it's still my favourite ship in SC bar none. :)

As you know, EDO has only "tenuous" atmospheres, so such an excuse would not work here. And of course not on all other planets without atmospheres either, which is still a huge majority. Currently whole armies are dissecting EDO's planet generation with tweezers and microscopes, and if we had flies it would be worth a tantrum if we couldn't see any 20 metres away. 🤒 (you see, I'm already starting this nonsense myself. Excessive exaggeration seems to be contagious).

Are you guys actually quite sure you want this kind of player tearing your favourite game to shreds? Because sooner or later that's exactly what will happen. Remember what I said when the time comes...
The time has already come and gone...and returning for the 9th generation with SC. Backers of the game are just as critical of the development as Cmdrs are of FDev and ED... so some new shouty voices and mild hysteria when they eventually become as cynical and jaded as I am will just add a bit to the general hubbub of permanent background noise. Space game nerds...we all fit into the same squirming bag of gnawing rodents in the end :D

Don't forget I'm a fan and player of ED and EDO too...I've put in my time...and added my shouty voice in both the Xbox forum and DD a fair bit over the years...RNGineers, Multi-pew, holo-presence, mining changes, Advanced disco scanner mini game...I even got a severe strop on when they added the CQC ranking to the cockpit UI :)

I must admit to going back to flying Horizons rather than EDO though...as a whole, EDO holds nothing of long term interest for me, it's too 'disconnected' from the main experience of ED if that makes sense...I suspect that's a result of playing years of SC where having the legs to climb that ladder or walk up that ramp to your ship has always been an integral part of the gameplay more than anything else.

In as much as I'll never directly criticise FDev for the design path they ultimately decided to follow....I'll simply add one little observation and food for thought as a fan of both SC and ED. Assuming FDev had decided to develop ship interiors and EVA gameplay as part of the game's direction, thinking specifically of the many disgruntled Cmdrs now trying SC for that experience ...EDO could have made Star Citizen completely irrelevant overnight for all of them.

Last edited:
A Cutlass black is the Jack of all trades in SC, a kind of mini Python. A ROC fits perfectly in the back...plus it has 46 SCU of cargo space, decent abilities in a scrap... especially multicrewed in 3.14. The new combat balance, missile operator mode for a co-pilot and turret improvements in 3.14 turns the formerly paper tiger Cutty black into a fairly formidable beast when crewed up. I'm well biased though...it's still my favourite ship in SC bar none. :)

Cutlass Black it is! I'll keep saving up some more for it and rent it for the meantime and give it a go. Use it to fatten my pockets a little more before I buy it outright. Thanks for the wisdom!
Are you guys actually quite sure you want this kind of player tearing your favourite game to shreds? Because sooner or later that's exactly what will happen. Remember what I said when the time comes...
Why not? Opinions are opinions regardless of personal stance.

Last edited:
Random pic, got interdicted by a pirate Cutlass looking at the remains of his victim, i took out the cutlass and EVA over to the broken connie, Hurston in the background.

4bb8Enn.png

In as much as I'll never directly criticise FDev for the design path they ultimately decided to follow....I'll simply add one little observation and food for thought as a fan of both SC and ED. Assuming FDev had decided to develop ship interiors and EVA gameplay as part of the game's direction, thinking specifically of the many disgruntled Cmdrs now trying SC for that experience ...EDO could have made Star Citizen completely irrelevant overnight for all of them.

It would seem that adding that seamless experience and the interiors would have been too much for Odyssey. It already took them 3 years to get what they did out of the door. Adding those might have added another couple of years.

I think a lot of people (not specifically pointing the finger at you here) don't consider how much work some things take. SC backers for example love to talk about all the things that are planned for SC, but few i think stop to consider that for CIG to do even half of it would take decades. CIG don't have decades, and most backers don't either.

EDO could have made Star Citizen completely irrelevant overnight.

Nah. Say they added ship interiors instead of a current EDO feature. SC would still have Features X, Y & Z floating out there as potentials. (Atmospheric planets, station interiors, PvE gunplay, etc etc). You can play with them now, and who knows how much better they'll become...

There would have been the same 'refugee' decamping, just from the guys who were hoping for Feature X instead…

SC still lives in the dream fugue state. It's planning everything. It's got examples of many things (even if not in dream working order ;)). And everyone’s saying the pipelines will really open up next year…

No released game can ever live up to that dream pitch ;)

Nah. Say they added ship interiors instead of a current EDO feature. SC would still have Features X, Y & Z floating out there as potentials. (Atmospheric planets, station interiors, PvE gunplay, etc etc). You can play with them now, and who knows how much better they'll become...

There would have been the same 'refugee' decamping, just from the guys who were hoping for Feature X instead…

SC still lives in the dream fugue state. It's planning everything. It's got examples of many things (even if not in dream working order ;)). And everyone’s saying the pipelines will really open up next year…

No released game can ever live up to that dream pitch ;)

Its a rather funny thing.

CIG promise everything and then take ages to deliver stuff, but because CIG have promised, and constantly pump out videos showing stuff they are working on, and because its alpha, backers assume its all coming one day, all they need is patience.

FD say, no, we are not considering at this time, not in the plans, and players lose their heads over it and rage quit.

Perhaps FD should take a leaf out of CIG's playbook and simply promise everything. Everything is coming. Just be patient, game dev is hard. Look, look at this video, see the devs hard at work on some completely irrelevant but pretty looking feature!

Maybe that would satisfy those who are demanding FD be more open about their development and talk more about their plans?

Promise everything, it seems to work. Until it no longer works that is.

None of our discussions stop others from posting about their positive experiences with SC. They might get challenged by the skeptics over their posts, or they might get likes. All part of the great forum experience ;) Same as happens on the ED forums, where someone posts about the great experience they had, and someone calls bull while someone else likes.
Except when genuine questions get buried under 4+ pages of the latest CiG criticisms. Dunno just feels like a lot of the politics stuff gets rehashed and not really anything revelationary is added. Absolutely point out the flaws of a game, just does the same stuff needed to be said every day multiple times a day?

I must admit to going back to flying Horizons rather than EDO though...as a whole, EDO holds nothing of long term interest for me, it's too 'disconnected' from the main experience of ED if that makes sense...I suspect that's a result of playing years of SC where having the legs to climb that ladder or walk up that ramp to your ship has always been an integral part of the gameplay more than anything else.

I believe i'm past the SC honeymoon phase, experienced pretty much all it has to offer, and seen most of the bugs. If one steps back and squints one can do gameplay loops that heavily resemble ED, the problem is SC is an alpha and progress can be wiped at any moment, so is it worth grinding out aEUC for a big ship if playing it as a game, and less as a tester for CiG? I've no regrets, and enjoy a lot of what it does, but it can't be a main game for me until things are settled down a bit (i will keep playing off and on, as i enjoy what it does well).

I will say that yes SC is a spaceship game. Personally all the fps/foot stuff makes me feel more connected to my ship: exiting the pilot seat, walking to the hatch, opening the ramp, walking into the station does add immersion but also makes the ship feel more like home.
But it's also being able to wander abut in a long Quantum Travel (long being relative, maybe a handful of minutes), vs being stuck not-flying your ship in ED say on the way to Hutton, or when being a Fuel Rat and you get a LRR client 200 jumps away.
Playing SC really points out how tiresome some of ED's mechanics are, and i guess a lot were hoping Beyond's supposed QoL focus was going to look at things like micro-jumps to secondary stars / supercruise.

ED "wastes your time" in different ways to SC, but ship interiors along with SC's other design decisions feel fine and not this supposed time-sink with no benefit if one values immersion.
I really wanted to be able to properly multicrew a conda or just walk around a python like it was home, but with the "no plans" and after playing SC, i cant help but feel FDev has not progressed how i hoped the game would go. Which is fine it's their game, but Odyssey does not excite me as is, nor does their road map give hope the future game can be what i want.
Agree with Mole: Odyssey could have been a knock-out blow to other spaceship games... There's no "rage quit" just disappointment.

Be interesting to see where SC goes, as at least there is hope in this scam-alpha/game.

Last edited:
I do, thank you. Sometimes I speak figuratively, which doesn't always work so well without a smiley and relying only on the readers' fantasy.
Sort of the limitation of online communication. It's why people often use "lol" even when something isn't funny to diffuse what could otherwise be construed as snide/condescending language. Smileys too which I hate using at times.

Dunno just feels like a lot of the politics stuff gets rehashed and not really anything revelationary is added.

You’ll have to forgive us, we got addicted to CIG doing 3 absurd things before breakfast, and then saying 7 more… And those things often did give insight into the project’s internal workings, and helped inform some general prognoses.

With drama at an all time low, old lessons tend to get dragged out and measured up against the scraps of new info. Which is cool in a sense. (Testing if they still hold true). But less cool for those who just care about 'What is the alpha like now?' (Rather than: 'Will it fulfill on its more grandiose claims? Or will many of them end up in flames?' ;))

PS, today’s unsolicited trope is: Don’t buy an Idris ;)

As you know, EDO has only "tenuous" atmospheres, so such an excuse would not work here. And of course not on all other planets without atmospheres either, which is still a huge majority. Currently whole armies are dissecting EDO's planet generation with tweezers and microscopes, and if we had flies it would be worth a tantrum if we couldn't see any 20 metres away. 🤒 (you see, I'm already starting this nonsense myself. Excessive exaggeration seems to be contagious).

When you sell people a broken product you are still putting together without mentioning its not ready and bait and switch them with beautiful trailers, some people are upset who knew, why won't these spoiled Cmdrs just consume product and be happy.

Oh yes, this again. But nobody denies that. And, contrary to what I've heard from the CG forum (of course, this could just be a bad rumour, since I don't post there, I don't know), you don't get banned in the FD forum if you vent your frustration about the game here. What more do you want? Do you want the developers to grovel in public every next day? Do you think they don't notice that, just because they don't comment on every complaint with the greatest humility?

Top Bottom