Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I recently saw a short video of an ED player having his first "Armstrong moment" in SC. :ROFLMAO: Unlike in ED, he really had to climb down the stairs to leave his ship. Impressive (or so he must have thought). Then he walked around a bit and kept wiping drops of condensation off his helmet! That actually made me laughing out loud. Is that what people call "immersion" these days? I already find the much more subtle condensation drops inside the helmet in Odyssey pretty ridiculous. But outside? And does either of that bear any form of gameplay value? Then he even found some nice flowers, but he didn't even try to do anything with them. Is that even possible in SC? But the biggest showstopper for me was how his ship behaved: as if it had no weight, no inertial effects at all!
And that is something that would instantly kill my immersion.
For me this was one of the two killer moments in the EDO release. The "Armstrong moment" is the walk from cockpit to surface and SC does that in spades. That FD thought that could be achieved by a transition was woeful and for me was a clear red flag they didn't get it. I have zero problem with the transition, if you aren't doing interiors yet it makes sense, but don't sell it as the "Armstrong moment" because it isn't. The VR farce was the second, choosing not to do it for the DLC I can understand, but the point you transition needs to be done in an manner that makes sense and if the Armstrong moment had been done correctly the transition point would have been obvious..

I don't have much time to game, so with a "developing" title I tend to be following the development as much as I am playing, because I can pick it up by reading in lunch breaks etc. When I game I am also forced to play in a manner where I can stop at a moments notice due to real life, so that means solo. I think that changes the way I look at such a game, the rhetoric not the actual gameplay shapes my view of the game.

There is enough now in SC, if you dismiss the rhetoric, you can actually find enjoyment, especially if you can play on line with other folks. What I find really interesting is that the "Armstrong moment" has become the differentiator between the two projects. ED claimed it, but doesn't have it and it is the mantra of SC, so I well understand the migration for those that anticipated the "Armstrong moment" towards SC.

I still think there should be a topic here where people who actually play SC can talk about it and another topic where the same six or so dudes can repeat for thousands of pages how evil Roberts is.
This does strike me as odd. These same six or so dudes spend a lot of discussion time in this thread for a game they've clearly shown they have no interest in. The discussion surrounding Star Citizen, it's long development journey, possible future and politics are worthy discussions to be had. But after a thousand pages, at what point do you just invest your energy into something elsewhere?

Admittedly I had gripes with Star Citizen. But a lot of my disdain were drawn from other people's opinions over a game they hadn't played and I became one of them. I gave it a go, the cost is negligible (well, a friend bought me a starter pack) and so far I've enjoyed it. I still have my reservations of the game, but those reservations are mostly of it's future rather if the project is a scam. There's a game there and it's actively being worked on. I'm looking at it through the lens of a Steam early access game. I would probably have more disdain for it if I joined years earlier but seems like I joined at a most opportune time. I'll see how I feel a few months from now.

In this case I think the first hit would cost me $35 as I believe under the terms and conditions of the time, I am entitled to a refund as long as I don't actually use it.

Don't forget about free fly! That's when some people decide they like what is on offer. They want more of that sweet sweet ship interior goodness and before they know it they are wearing a monocle!

(Someone post the kind in the car browsing ships monocle appearing gif please!)

For me this was one of the two killer moments in the EDO release. The "Armstrong moment" is the walk from cockpit to surface and SC does that in spades. That FD thought that could be achieved by a transition was woeful and for me was a clear red flag they didn't get it. I have zero problem with the transition, if you aren't doing interiors yet it makes sense, but don't sell it as the "Armstrong moment" because it isn't. The VR farce was the second, choosing not to do it for the DLC I can understand, but the point you transition needs to be done in an manner that makes sense and if the Armstrong moment had been done correctly the transition point would have been obvious..

I don't have much time to game, so with a "developing" title I tend to be following the development as much as I am playing, because I can pick it up by reading in lunch breaks etc. When I game I am also forced to play in a manner where I can stop at a moments notice due to real life, so that means solo. I think that changes the way I look at such a game, the rhetoric not the actual gameplay shapes my view of the game.

There is enough now in SC, if you dismiss the rhetoric, you can actually find enjoyment, especially if you can play on line with other folks. What I find really interesting is that the "Armstrong moment" has become the differentiator between the two projects. ED claimed it, but doesn't have it and it is the mantra of SC, so I well understand the migration for those that anticipated the "Armstrong moment" towards SC.

Yeah, the "Armstrong moment" thing was a bit of a facepalm. They should have thought that through better.

But compared to a disparity between what they say and do, CIG are way ahead. But if you don't follow the development with a skeptical eye, you'll probably not notice it. Its why we skeptics often refer to the faithful "memory holing" things. They have a habit of forgetting things CIG have said in the past, either because they don't like to remember conflicting information or they absolve CIG of making statements that don't fit the current narrative.

This does strike me as odd. These same six or so dudes spend a lot of discussion time in this thread for a game they've clearly shown they have no interest in. The discussion surrounding Star Citizen, it's long development journey, possible future and politics are worthy discussions to be had. But after a thousand pages, at what point do you just invest your energy into something elsewhere?

Admittedly I had gripes with Star Citizen. But a lot of my disdain were drawn from other people's opinions over a game they hadn't played and I became one of them. I gave it a go, the cost is negligible (well, a friend bought me a starter pack) and so far I've enjoyed it. I still have my reservations of the game, but those reservations are mostly of it's future rather if the project is a scam. There's a game there and it's actively being worked on. I'm looking at it through the lens of a Steam early access game. I would probably have more disdain for it if I joined years earlier but seems like I joined at a most opportune time. I'll see how I feel a few months from now.

Nothing odd about it. The development of the game has given us lots of stuff to talk about. We have a lot of interest in the development of the game! If we weren't interested, then we wouldn't be discussing it!

As i've described before, its like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

None of our discussions stop others from posting about their positive experiences with SC. They might get challenged by the skeptics over their posts, or they might get likes. All part of the great forum experience ;) Same as happens on the ED forums, where someone posts about the great experience they had, and someone calls bull while someone else likes.

SC shouldn't receive special treatment, although some backers talk like it should.

Oh, OK so the "$1 is worth 3 for CIG" applies to frames per second too? 😜

As i recall it was 1 to 5 ratio.

Which, if it was correct, it would mean a traditional publisher would have already spent 2 billion on developing an alpha :D

I'd posit that if it was a traditional publisher, or anyone but Roberts in charge, there would be a released quality product by now.

But what do i know about fidelity development :D

Yeah, the "Armstrong moment" thing was a bit of a facepalm. They should have thought that through better.

But compared to a disparity between what they say and do, CIG are way ahead. But if you don't follow the development with a skeptical eye, you'll probably not notice it. Its why we skeptics often refer to the faithful "memory holing" things. They have a habit of forgetting things CIG have said in the past, either because they don't like to remember conflicting information or they absolve CIG of making statements that don't fit the current narrative.
To be fair wasnt that a dev just chatting off the cuff? I think his casual statement was easy to meme and blow way out of proportion. I mean it is true that its lame but I think its the same deal as DB waxing lyrical about big game hunting.

I still think there should be a topic here where people who actually play SC can talk about it and another topic where the same six or so dudes can repeat for thousands of pages how evil Roberts is.
This place is like a Star Citizen masochist's club, you can plainly see the doors beckoning from a distance...but when you get closer, you discover that the Star Citizen sadists already inside have removed all the door handles...

Last edited:
I thought the armstrong moment faux pax (Did I get that right lol) was one of the Odyssey dev talking about space legs?

Oh, i got my thread twisted. I was talking about the 5 to 1 thing.

Armstrong moment was a FD CM as I recall. Arthur?

Regardless, if it goes out on an official channel, it doesn't matter. I'd say then they are speaking for the company.

And not to waste this opportunity to have a dig at CIG, there was a statement not too long ago that unless a statement comes from CR himself, then it shouldn't be taken as fact. This means anything said by any dev, CM, or other manager shouldn't be taken to mean its true.

Brilliant! They basically absolved themselves of every statement from anyone apart from CR, and CR absolves himself of any wrongdoing.

Oh, OK so the "$1 is worth 3 for CIG" applies to frames per second too? 😜
For some reason I can see no reference to CR memes anywhere in the original post, far less in the part you quoted out of context. You read a post I made in reply to another regular Star Citizen player and decided it was somehow worthy of promoting your own personal narrative about Ci¬G. I do try to like most negative posts about SC, assuming they aren't pure unadulterated bile...but first they have to display some relevance. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oh, i got my thread twisted. I was talking about the 5 to 1 thing.

Armstrong moment was a FD CM as I recall. Arthur?

Regardless, if it goes out on an official channel, it doesn't matter. I'd say then they are speaking for the company.

And not to waste this opportunity to have a dig at CIG, there was a statement not too long ago that unless a statement comes from CR himself, then it shouldn't be taken as fact. This means anything said by any dev, CM, or other manager shouldn't be taken to mean its true.

Brilliant! They basically absolved themselves of every statement from anyone apart from CR, and CR absolves himself of any wrongdoing.
I think whats important about interiors is it makes the ship Cmdr (Commando?) bond stronger. Your own personal lived in space.

You really get that in Space Engineers especially when you build the ship yourself and do a few iterations and know it like the back of your hand. The first few times in Elite running the hanger to concourse was cool but it gets old espically in Cutter (lol wheres my vip Cmdr cart) so I wonder if in SC would I get sick of it in a big ship. Maybe Mole or someone could share some personal perspective on that.

I think ED is mainly a ship oriented game, as to where someone said earlier SC isnt so the vibe may be different where legs is more integral.

When I hear more consistent things about stability and server dysync I really do want to try it for myself but not until I have a beefier system. I'm sure by the time that happens (If?) I will.

Don't forget about free fly! That's when some people decide they like what is on offer. They want more of that sweet sweet ship interior goodness and before they know it they are wearing a monocle!

(Someone post the kind in the car browsing ships monocle appearing gif please!)
As requested... I should add the disclaimer that it's a standard meme used to welcome new admirals to the concierge chat on Spectrum ;)

YeknMsI.gif

I think whats important about interiors is it makes the ship Cmdr (Commando?) bond stronger. Your own personal lived in space.

You really get that in Space Engineers especially when you build the ship yourself and do a few iterations and know it like the back of your hand. The first few times in Elite running the hanger to concourse was cool but it gets old espically in Cutter (lol wheres my vip Cmdr cart) so I wonder if in SC would I get sick of it in a big ship. Maybe Mole or someone could share some personal perspective on that.

I think ED is mainly a ship oriented game, as to where someone said earlier SC isnt so the vibe may be different where legs is more integral.

When I hear more consistent things about stability and server dysync I really do want to try it for myself but not until I have a beefier system. I'm sure by the time that happens (If?) I will.

Yeah, its like the difference between an inside out approach or an outside in approach.

Pros and cons to both.

Let's be fair: fundamentally the moment Armstrong had wasn't in the "walk" from his seat to the vacuum but in the fact to be the first to put a foot on a planet no other human did.

But let's be fair, it wasn't what people imagined it would be.

Sure, one can say people shouldn't build up their expectations (especially when it comes to FD!) but the words Armstrong moment does conjure a particular image, which does included him exiting the ship.

Top Bottom