Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

It's nonsense. A story needs narration. A star system narrates nothing. Just go in a random one in ED and look what story it tells. Or try in Space Engine.
Because all systems in ED are random, you can exchange any of them by others. But can you tell me that the Sol system narrates nothing in Elite ?
There are already places in Stanton that narrates stories with strong lore tied to them. Hurston giant building, Grimhex and the javelin derelict are 3 of them and you will not find them anywhere in the universe. They are in Stanton only. For all of us that know Levski, it's a huge spoiler of the Nyx system.

If you visit the place below before playing it the way Nintendo want you to discover it, you ruin a big part of your game. Same for SQ42.
jerome-comentale-hyrule-castle-zelda-botw.jpg

Because all systems in ED are random, you can exchange any of them by others. But can you tell me that the Sol system narrates nothing in Elite ?
There are already places in Stanton that narrates stories with strong lore tied to them. Hurston giant building, Grimhex and the javelin derelict are 3 of them and you will not find them anywhere in the universe. They are in Stanton only. For all of us that know Levski, it's a huge spoiler of the Nyx system.

If you visit the place below before playing it the way Nintendo want you to discover it, you ruin a big part of your game. Same for SQ42.

Man, you're really going to have to avoid all forums and media in the run up to the release to SQ42, otherwise you're going to be spoilered to death!

I guess you also don't read CIG's monthly updates about the state of SQ42! They might contain spoilers! Like mentioning for the hundredth time in a row how they have been working on the mess hall scene!

Personally can't wait to see that mess hall scene! From descriptions the whole of SQ42 might take place there!

Man, you're really going to have to avoid all forums and media in the run up to the release to SQ42, otherwise you're going to be spoilered to death!
As if no other gamers try to avoid spoils... I wonder how you follow and play your narratives solo games.
That's exactly what I do with the games I intend to play. For instance I know very little of CP2077 as I still wait for the big patch before buying it.

Oooh, there is a giant building. Big spoiler. Dude this is called world-building, not story narration.

I am sure all those trailers are very indicative of actual gameplay and not at all specially made for promotional purposes :rolleyes:

I have seen people say that about the volumetric gas cloud tech when they first saw these videos, oh you can't make volumetric clouds on that scale, its not possible.
And yet here we are, the lagrange clouds in SC
The thing with these cinematics is they are all made in engine, it might not be optimal when the video is made but if you see it in them the tech exists and its working, its just a matter of time before it all ends up in game.

Last edited:
As if no other gamers try to avoid spoils... I wonder how you follow and play your narratives solo games.
That's exactly what I do with the games I intend to play. For instance I know very little of CP2077 as I still wait for the big patch before buying it.

I'm not aware of any other games that go to so much pain to say they won't show stuff because of spoilers only then to release a 1 hour long video of it, and then to immediately revert to saying they won't show anything because of spoilers.

I'm also not aware of any games that won't show in-game locations before the release of the game because of "spoilers". Its usually part and parcel of the marketing.

I have seen people say that about the volumetric gas cloud tech when they first saw these videos, oh you can't make volumetric clouds on that scale, its not possible.
And yet here we are, the lagrange clouds in SC
The thing with these cinematics is they are all made in engine, it might not be optimal when the video is made but if you see it in them the tech exists and its working, its just a matter of time before it all ends up in game.
This is literally how it does not work. In-engine says nothing about what will be in-game.

This is literally how it does not work. In-engine says nothing about what will be in-game.
It does in this case because the cinematic is of what is in game, the vertical slice is literally a 1 hour play-through segment of SQ42.

The SQ42 Visual Teaser again is literally that. it even has a "Pre-Alpha Work in Progress" water mark warring in it.

It does in this case because the cinematic is of what is in game
So you played Squadron 42?
, the vertical slice is literally a 1 hour play-through segment of SQ42.
I was talking about in-engine rendering, not the vertical slice. Those are two completely different things. And the vertical slice was as real as the 2018 demo of Cyberpunk 2077. Funny year that was, 2018.
The SQ42 Visual Teaser again is literally that. it even has a "Pre-Alpha Work in Progress" water mark warring in it.
The visual trailer is nothing but an in-engine rendering of something. Do you understand the difference between in-engine and in-game? Because those things are not even remotely close.

BTW, the pre-alpha label is slapped on every marketing material by every game company that wants to avoid backlash when the final product turns out to be a downgraded shadow of what was teased.

So you played Squadron 42?

I was talking about in-engine rendering, not the vertical slice. Those are two completely different things. And the vertical slice was as real as the 2018 demo of Cyberpunk 2077. Funny year that was, 2018.

The visual trailer is nothing but an in-engine rendering of something. Do you understand the difference between in-engine and in-game? Because those things are not even remotely close.

BTW, the pre-alpha label is slapped on every marketing material by every game company that wants to avoid backlash when the final product turns out to be a downgraded shadow of what was teased.

The vertical slice video is what i was talking about when you quoted me.

In this case i believe it to be scenery from the game.

In fact, the vast majority of the effects you see in those videos can be seen already in the actual SC.
Those I haven't seen in SC are the lightning, some big smoke columns, asteroids on fire and some smoke flowing movements.
Lightning have been showed often in ISC. Asteroïds are not difficult to do. It only left the 2 particular smoke effects that can't be certified.
We even have some effects better in SC now (entry effect).

Last edited:
Top Bottom