Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

So SC isn't running on LY anymore (if it ever was ;) )? Has it been ported back to CE, using the fresh license they got from the Crytek lawsuit?
Anyways the joke keeps on giving.

Its now called Open Game Engine or something. They probably should put that logo there in place of the Lumberyard one. But maybe CIG will keep it off until Amazon spot it and remind them the new logo should be displayed (if its a requirement, would be surprising if it wasn't).

Its now called Open Game Engine or something. They probably should put that logo there in place of the Lumberyard one. But maybe CIG will keep it off until Amazon spot it and remind them the new logo should be displayed (if its a requirement, would be surprising if it wasn't).
The logo is gone because CIG doesn't need the LY license anymore. You'll never see a public launcher of a big game without the logo of the engine used when it's a requirement. The logo was intentionnaly removed, not gone by magic. And they don't need also the CE license too because they don't display the CE logo.
Perhaps one day they will put a "StarEngine" logo in the launcher ;)

For what I know, the whole problem was Crytek trying to get money with the "2 games" story while SC + SQ42 were specifically written in the contract.
If that were the "Whole" problem as you stated and it was the clear cut ... Why would Crytek have gone after CIG?

As I heard it, Crytek backed down because after their discovery and inspite of what CIG was telling everyone, they found that CIG was nowhere close to releasing two games and consequently their case had no merit at that time :)

SC has never used the real LY (the one used for New World), only displayed the license. Going to LY and remove it was just displaying and removing a logo on the launcher. A lot of energy and money lost because of Crytek.
The switch to Lumberyard was Chris and Company’s attempt to renege on their contract with Crytek while retaining the work they’d already done.
A lot of energy and money lost because of Crytek.

Or, hear me out here, maybe because of CIG leadership mismanagement and incompetence. Coin toss really.
I’d use the “Why not both” meme, but the lawsuit falls squarely on their shoulders as well. Their contract with Crytek was already lopsided in their favor, thanks to Ortwin, one of CIG’s senior leadership, also representing Crytek during the negotiations. CIGs leadership deciding they could violate their contract with Crytek without consequences falls squarely under that category as well… not to mention utterly unethical.

The switch to Lumberyard was Chris and Company’s attempt to renege on their contract with Crytek while retaining the work they’d already done.

I’d use the “Why not both” meme, but the lawsuit falls squarely on their shoulders as well. Their contract with Crytek was already lopsided in their favor, thanks to Ortwin, one of CIG’s senior leadership, also representing Crytek during the negotiations. CIGs leadership deciding they could violate their contract with Crytek without consequences falls squarely under that category as well… not to mention utterly unethical.
Yes, basically a plague on both their houses.

But it started with CIG/RSI/whatever trying to renege on a contract so they didn't have to pay what they had agreed.

SC has never used the real LY (the one used for New World), only displayed the license. Going to LY and remove it was just displaying and removing a logo on the launcher. A lot of energy and money lost because of Crytek.
That's not what CIG said.

Carl Jones: We found it very easy to transition as our engine and Lumberyard share a similar base in CryEngine. We made extensive changes in our engine from the ‘vanilla’ CryEngine, as had Amazon with Lumberyard, so for us the approach was to strip each engine down to their matching parts – then add our changes back again to the common core. Essentially this was the work of only a few days, so it was a very easy transition indeed.
[...]

Yes – the change to Lumberyard hasn’t delayed us on the project. In fact, in some cases, such as utilizing the new graphics features implemented in Lumberyard, it saved time and sped things up compared to the very drawn out process of creating that work from scratch.

Los Angeles, December 23, 2016Cloud Imperium™ Games (CIG) announced today the company is using the Amazon Lumberyard game engine to create its ground-breaking space sim games, Star Citizen and Squadron 42.
[...]
“We’ve been working with Amazon for more than a year, as we have been looking for a technology leader to partner with for the long term future of Star Citizen and Squadron 42,” said Chris Roberts, CIG’s CEO and creative director. “Lumberyard provides ground breaking technology features for online games, including deep back-end cloud integration on AWS and its social component with Twitch that enables us to easily and instantly connect to millions of global gamers. Because we share a common technical vision, it has been a very smooth and easy transition to Lumberyard. In fact, we are excited to announce that our just released 2.6 Alpha update for Star Citizen is running on Lumberyard and AWS.”

Whom should I believe? CIG? You? The problem is you all are unworthy of trust so...

1628675204413.png

Last edited:
Let's not forget greed. We may never know exactly how much money the Roberts Clan as siphoned out of this project via Hollywood Accounting, but if their UK holdings (which are legally required to divulge information) are any indication, it's around 10%.

This interview didn't age well

Was the decision to move to Lumberyard at all based on the financial difficulties faced by Crytek?

We certainly wanted a technology partner that could support us and be with us for the long term, investing in tools and technology year after year, which Amazon of course can uniquely deliver. But mostly we liked Amazon’s strategy for gaming, specifically with Lumberyard, Twitch and AWS. We knew that over time Amazon would create the best game engine and support technologies to enable and power online games using AWS – it’s inevitable and will be a big help to us and our community, now and in the future. We’re always looking long term at CIG, and with Amazon as a partner, we’re able to feel confident about the future.

No, a lot of money and time wasted because Ci¬G tried to swindle Crytek out of a license fee...let's not rewrite history again, please ;)
For sure the story written here was not the same I've read in other places. But we will not start this again, this chapter is closed.

Whom should I believe? CIG? You? The problem is you all are unworthy of trust so...
The interviews of 2016/2017 were full of promises. But several years after, a dev said that the core of the engine was so much modified that they couldn't push LY updates in it. I think they had used some of the tools given in the LY package such AWS or some editor, but the LY engine itself post CE fork seems to not have been used by CIG.

But several years after, a dev said that the core of the engine was so much modified that they couldn't push LY updates in it. I think they had used some of the tools given in the LY package such AWS or some editor, but the LY engine itself post CE fork seems to not have been used by CIG.
Any chance of a link to the source of that "a dev said" ? I am genuinely interested.

The logo is gone because CIG doesn't need the LY license anymore. You'll never see a public launcher of a big game without the logo of the engine used when it's a requirement. The logo was intentionnaly removed, not gone by magic. And they don't need also the CE license too because they don't display the CE logo.
Perhaps one day they will put a "StarEngine" logo in the launcher ;)

Yes, but you miss my point.

I'm suggesting that maybe they should have replaced the Lumberyard logo with this logo

o3de_img.png

For sure the story written here was not the same I've read in other places. But we will not start this again, this chapter is closed.

We FUDsters never close any chapters!

The interviews of 2016/2017 were full of promises.

So were those in 2018 and 2019.

Only really as we get towards the end of 2020 does it change to "It will be done when its done"... which doesn't excatly inspire confidence either.

Any chance of a link to the source of that "a dev said" ? I am genuinely interested.

Having so many bespoke changes would make integrating changes from Lumberyard very difficult, if not impossible in some cases. There would need to be a careful evaluation of whether the gain outweighed the effort required or it would be easier/better to develop our own solution. As far as I am aware we haven't integrated anything new from Lumberyard.

They are not using this engine, why should they display this logo ?
The are using the CE/LY engine before the fork by Amazon.

Ah, good point!

Having said that, its actually a CryEngine license they bought due to the settlement. But maybe they are not obliged to display that logo even though it is CryEngine base.

Its really weird. Normally there should be a logo on there no matter how much you've modified it. Not only due to license arrangements but it also lets players know what its built on.

So, they dumped their partnership with Amazon (presumably due to the engine change, but are still using the "Lumberyard" (aka Amazon) services (for now at least) and perhaps not obliged to use the CE logo.

So it makes it look like they have their own engine.

Now, let's roll with the idea that they have modified it so much that its no longer really CE/LY at all.

Let's take a trip down memory lane to 2012-2014 when people were suggesting a custom engine might have been the better choice, and the Crytek/CIG fanboys were saying no, it would be too much effort, better to use CE!

That's kind of funny.

Back
Top Bottom