Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I'd love to meet some of those generic, brush tarred backers you keep referring to. Most of the ones I meet have individual personalities and are very different ;)
I was one of them, we all did pretty much speculate like crazy in those days. About how will large capital ship battles would be, about how command and control in those would be, how will the flight model come out, how would exploration be etc, etc etc...And we all backed about it just based on a few "design documents", our imagination would do the rest. Now I simply look back and smile when some backers (some in this very thread) keep doing the same almost 9 years after, still without delivery. CIG is really good at that.

Last edited:
jiun5e0mvz381.jpg

I was one of them, we all did pretty much speculate like crazy in those days. About how will large capital ship battles would be, about how command and control in those would be, how will the flight model come out, how would exploration be etc, etc etc...And we all backed about it just based on a few "design documents", our imagination would do the rest. Now I simply look back and smile when some backers keep doing the same.
Indeed....although it seems most of the time I see backers referred to on here it's almost a meme of Jurassic Park. "Look, they move in herds!" :)

Indeed....although it seems most of the time I see backers referred to on here it's almost a meme of Jurassic Park. "Look, they move in herds!" :)

You can get that impression looking at /r/sc. Amazingly enough, CIG's own bastion of censorship, Spectrum, is looking a bit more balanced these days, with the faithful getting push back from others.

Well, it is apparently quite a sparse system. But believing something just because CIG said it.... well, in that case, i've got a bridge to sell you. :p

Also, 2 systems a year? That's quite optimistic. Especially when you've just talked about all the unique assets CIG create to make each location different. Having the tools doesn't speed that up. They've had asset creation tools since day 1.

Sure, maybe low fidelity systems which don't contain much could get quickly, but you're overlooking the more important systems.
5 teams concurrently working makes it 10 years away, theoretically. But what are we talking about? Tier 0 or final? How many reworks and refactors due to new tech or loonies from Chris' brain?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Well, I was referring to a very specific comment in this very thread speculating about exploration if you recall. You can still see it every day in spectrum or reddit when some backers speculate about what will they be able to do with this or that feature or ship, etc and then give their money to CIG without the "this or that" being even remotely in game. As for the potential size of that "herd", as you call it, I don´t know but probably big enough to be a significant contributor to 400+ millions over 9 years. I´ll go out on a limb and suspect a few of them probably bought a MISC "best at everything" Odyssey or two recently. I mostly "blame" it on CIG though.

Last edited:
Well, I was referring to a very specific comment in this very thread speculating about exploration if you recall. You can still see it every day in spectrum or reddit when some backers speculate about what will you be able to do with this or that ship, etc. As for the potential size of that "herd", as you call it, I don´t know but probably big enough to be a significant contributor to 400+ millions. I´ll go out on a limb and suspect a few of them probably bought an Odyssey or two.

Most of the Odysseys were CCU'd to from Carracks at $100 or so, the majority of the rest were bought up by speculators or resellers for when the price goes up on it. The $700 price range bling barges are rarely bought as standalones except for the Pokemon collectors...despite the misguided assumption that everyone who backs Star Citizen automatically forks out hundreds of dollars on one space ship.

You can get that impression looking at /r/sc. Amazingly enough, CIG's own bastion of censorship, Spectrum, is looking a bit more balanced these days, with the faithful getting push back from others.

I could well make the same assumption on the nay sayers from reading comments like both of those...What's next?..."But in 2014 Chris Roberts said this!" I wait with bated breath for the next round of those ones ;)

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Most of the Odysseys were CCU'd to from Carracks at $100 or so. The $700 price range bling barges are rarely bought as standalones except for the Pokemon collectors...despite the misguided assumption that everyone who backs Star Citizen automatically forks out hundreds of dollars on one space ship.
Lol, pick any ship or feature you want Mole. The most successful funding month ever, with over 21 millions, does not come out of thin air I trust?

Unless of course we think that also includes those ccus?

Lol, pick any ship or feature you want Mole. The most successful funding month ever, with over 21 millions does not come out of thin air I trust?
But yet you assume that it's general backers buying up those ships?

Although I didn't spend any new cash I shifted stuff around to end up with the big profit margin ships, the ones that are guaranteed a massive price hike. The BMM, Endeavour and Odyssey...as well as a Hull D. The first 3 will rise in price by $300 or more from current prices, the BMM and Endeavour probably closer to another $500 (or more) by the time they're done. Chances are I'll resell them or make a massive CCU hike with either of them when the price does rise...and it will.

Resellers and speculators do exactly the same thing....they're looking at punting those ships on at a later date, speculators for the CCU value...resellers on to the grey market..

Last edited:
Not really no. All buyers are simply paying up for some things that do not really exist and for hopes of what it may come to pass. Been doing that for over 8 years now.
It's how it works. That part of Star Citizen has very little to do with playing a space game...no matter if you personally find it distasteful or not 🤷‍♂️

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It's how it works...no matter if you personally find it distasteful or not 🤷‍♂️
You mean the ships value speculative part and the grey market? No, I dont find it particularly distasteful, no (although I find it interesting that you bring that up ;) ) That is just a consequence of the CIG business model. Not too dissimilar to NFT based games, except with real currency instead of crypto. It is what CIG has wanted it to be.

Some backers have hopes about increased value and resell profits. Others have dreams about how the game will be in the future and pay for it even after 9 years of CIG non delivery. My original comment was more specifically referring to this second lot. The first lot (and CIG) simply predates on this one. Speculators need the actual dreamers to pony up at some point. Without the dreamers money there would not be much speculation possible in the first place. There is of course many backers that are a bit of both but that gives you the general idea about where the money really comes from eventually.

It could also be a case of speculators predating only on other less savvy speculators 😋 without many dreamer elements in the loop, in which case it would not be distasteful either (happens every day in many markets), but just a bit sad for what it means for the actual game. Dreamers by and large just want to play. Some speculators probably care a bit less about that.

Last edited:
I could well make the same assumption on the nay sayers from reading comments like both of those...What's next?..."But in 2014 Chris Roberts said this!" I wait with bated breath for the next round of those ones ;)

Are you saying Spectrum isn't looking more balanced these days?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
All that matters is someone is buying them. Who they are and what their motivations are for buying them makes no difference to CIG, its all $$$.
That is true, we should not forget that speculators need the actual dreamers to pony up at some point.

Speculators just pay in advance to CIG the money that they expect to get from other backers down the line. Without the dreamers money there would not be much speculation possible in the first place. That is really where the actual money comes from eventually.

Last edited:
SC is but a fraction of the panopticum of entitled backers weeing away their cash at silly projects for nothing in return.

You also see a good deal of correlating stuff on the ED forum.

Top Bottom