Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Most of the Odysseys were CCU'd to from Carracks at $100 or so, the majority of the rest were bought up by speculators or resellers for when the price goes up on it. The $700 price range bling barges are rarely bought as standalones except for the Pokemon collectors...despite the misguided assumption that everyone who backs Star Citizen automatically forks out hundreds of dollars on one space ship.

The brass tacks are: The MISC ships (incl Odyssey's release) went on sale (Nov 27th). And funding spiked like this:

CoqNpH6.png

Selling new jpegs works ¯\(ツ)/¯

Whether those funds were garnered from people who want the ship, or who are just speculating on its future market value, the end result is the same. Lots of cash generated by promises of future additions. Again and again.

(Given the grey market is hanging around 50-80% valuations, with the exception of the rarest of ships, an analysis I'd like to see is: When do ships hold their highest average value on the open market - pre-release, or post? I'd wager, that over the long-term, it's pre-release. Dreams are always best. They always punch above their weight. They'll rarely be outclassed by a future release. Both CIG and citizen speculators can make their biggest gains in the dream realm. I wonder what that would imply for the actual game? ;))

Last edited:
Counterpoint: NMS worlds are all unique and rich too. Proc gen doesnt have to be the sterile rocky moons of ED (sorry FDEV, you'll have to make Elite 5 maybe to overcome your game code limitations..).
I guess I'm one of the few people who feel that NMS's worlds, their life forms in particular, are less an example of good proc-gen, and more an example of Potato-head proc-gen. I saw the same geography, structures, and appendages repeated way too frequently to maintain my sense of verisimilitude.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind you, considering I like Empyrion: Galactic Survival which doesn't even have procedural life, but not when you combine that with in their bad flight model, their mandatory starting tutorial, their extremely frustrating (for me) implementation of VR, and something else I still can't identify which makes that particular survival game unenjoyable for this particular fan of the genre.

I guess I'm one of the few people who feel that NMS's worlds, their life forms in particular, are less an example of good proc-gen, and more an example of Potato-head proc-gen. I saw the same geography, structures, and appendages repeated way too frequently to maintain my sense of verisimilitude.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind you, considering I like Empyrion: Galactic Survival which doesn't even have procedural life, but not when you combine that with in their bad flight model, their mandatory starting tutorial, their extremely frustrating (for me) implementation of VR, and something else I still can't identify which makes that particular survival game unenjoyable for this particular fan of the genre.
Like I said it's an essay. I feel procgen is still in infancy. Tynan Sylvester dubbed Rimworld a storyteller game, but games are a long way from having procedural stories telling. The last DLC introduced customisable game starts and I think that is much better a tool for story telling when people start role playing their playthroughs.

The brass tacks are: The MISC ships (incl Odyssey's release) went on sale (Nov 27th). And funding spiked like this:

CoqNpH6.png

Selling new jpegs works ¯\(ツ)/¯

Whether those funds were garnered from people who want the ship, or who are just speculating on its future market value, the end result is the same. Lots of cash generated by promises of future additions. Again and again.

(Given the grey market is hanging around 50-80% valuations, with the exception of the rarest of ships, an analysis I'd like to see is: When do ships hold their highest average value on the open market - pre-release, or post? I'd wager, that over the long-term, it's pre-release. Dreams are always best. They always punch above their weight. They'll rarely be outclassed by a future release. Both CIG and citizen speculators can make their biggest gains in the dream realm. I wonder what that would imply for the actual game? ;))
The most bought, either full price sales or CCU upgrade sales for the entire IAE were for the Odyssey (being a marketing driven ship concept), the Starfart (both flavours due to upcoming refuelling/refining) and the Redeemer (because it's an ancient and reborn backer designed monstrosity) although being one of the oldest concept ships, most of the Redeemers were already technical debt. The capital sized Endeavour (CCU or otherwise) also sold rather well since it's still at it's original concept price of $350. Hull A's and Hull C's went out the door quickly too due to them supposedly making an appearance soon™...even with the price hike on the C by $100 (originally $250)...same with the Hull D and it's like for like price hike from $350 to $450, even though that's still to appear on the roadmap..

The end of year sale marketing event always prompts Ci¬G to fire out a few new ships and concepts, it always brings in a fair bit of readies for them...but like has already been asked... Are Ci¬G counting CCU upgrades as full price ship sales, including the zero dollar store credit purchases, to pad out the funding tracker? Somehow, I suspect they are... if only because I'm a cynic 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The most bought, either full price sales or CCU upgrade sales for the entire IAE were for the Odyssey (being a marketing driven ship design), the Starfart (both flavours due to upcoming refuelling/refining) and the Redeemer (because it's an ancient and reborn backer designed monstrosity) although most of the Redeemers were already technical debt. The Endeavour (CCU or otherwise) also sold rather well since it's still at it's original concept price of $350. Hull A's and Hull C's went out the door quickly too due to them supposedly making an appearance soon™...even with the price hike on the C by $100 (originally $250)...same with the Hull D and it's like for like price hike from $350 to $450, even though that's still to appear on the roadmap..

The end of year sale marketing event always prompts Ci¬G to fire out a few new ships and concepts, it always brings in a fair bit of readies for them...but like has already been asked... Are Ci¬G counting CCU upgrades as full price ship sales, including the zero dollar store credit purchases, to pad out the funding tracker? Somehow, I suspect they are... if only because I'm a cynic 🤷‍♂️

The funding tracker may be fudged like that, for sure. But at minimum CIG is still making $ off both the concept ship sales and CCU options on the same (especially now that $0 CCUs are capped etc). They may well bloat the overall earnings, but they're still stimulating cash with jpegs.

(Hell, even when $0 CCUs were copious it still worked. Like this fella moving from a $50 Kore, to a non-existant $195 BMM, because he didn't like how the Kore turned out ;). And all just because the CCU 'savings' beckoned him to ;))

The funding tracker may be fudged like that, for sure. But at minimum CIG is still making $ off both the concept ship sales and CCU options on the same (especially now that $0 CCUs are capped etc). They may well bloat the overall earnings, but they're still stimulating cash with jpegs.

(Hell, even when $0 CCUs were copious it still worked. Like this fella moving from a $50 Kore, to a non-existant $195 BMM, because he didn't like how the Kore turned out ;). And all just because the CCU 'savings' beckoned him to ;))
I'm only suspicious of the funding tracker in that I suspect the artificial 'sales' figures are and have been used to encourage further investment as well as tax fiddles incentives and subsidies from the UK government...having spent a few years in farming and playing the subsidies game, I should apply to Ci¬G for a job :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm glad its not on that physical scale, having a 1:1 scale universe is great from a science perspective but space is very empty because of it.

I'm happy with just 20 Star Systems, that's enough if that universe is filled with rich diverse content, SC so far "Single system" is ram packed with it and while i don't expect every system to be like that quite a lot of them will be and even the most sparse are going to have more to explore than anything in EDO.

That's the difference in approach, replicating the same structures to use over and over again vs hand crafting very large and rich worlds that are all unique.

I dismissed SC and EVE for those very reasons, 20 systems would be, unacceptable. Many players purchased the game because of the realistic simulation of the galaxy alone. Handcrafting very rich and large worlds is part of the reason SC is still in one system with very few landable bodies. The other things about hand crafted planets is this, anything a team of devs can create, even 700 of them, will all be explored, every inch of it, in a week of player game time if they have a decent player base. After a week or so there will be nothing new to be found by anyone, there will be no stone unturned, no rock untrodden.

This is one of the reasons people enjoy exploring in ED, because you can indeed be the first to ever land somewhere, the first to step foot on a moon or planet, the first to ever enter a system, and that's after many years of game time with a reasonably large player base.

Hah, thread itself is only 36% upvoted though. Some people clearly don't like these questions being asked.

I wonder if these people downvoting think about how this feels to a potential new backer? They come, ask an honest question, and get downvoted for it, all the while being told its still alpha.

I mean, great way to make you feel unwelcome with questions about the product.

The following comment popped up in Cptn Berks stream chat today:

They keep breaking the done [biowaste] though, mining is far from perfect, cargo is borked. The only thing that consistently works is pve bounties and pvp, and even then you have desync, now that the "new patch shine" of 3.15 is wearing off, its honestly rough to stay excited and engaged. I ran pve bounties for 2 hours last night, and i got so bored i full on alt-f4'd, didnt even bother going back to station. Just not fun

This is his response:

Tomato joins the 'dont buy it yet' crowd ;)

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1225910191?t=1h11m21s

Although look at this emergent gameplay...

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1225910191?t=1h35m6s

(Liking the ensuing conversation about concepting on big ships being way more than the '2 years' claimed by CIG recently; it not being worth buying any of the ships for real money until they're in the game, and possibly not even then; and his second unfortunate death and face palm ;))

This is one of the reasons people enjoy exploring in ED, because you can indeed be the first to ever land somewhere, the first to step foot on a moon or planet, the first to ever enter a system, and that's after many years of game time with a reasonably large player base.
I can be first sure, but what do I actually discover? What do I get for getting there first?
I discover a barren, lifeless empty rock of nothingness that looks the same as some other rocket another guy 1000 lighyears away from me also set foot on.

Even If I'm first, there are no starports built in my name there, no earth likes are settled, nothing happens with the system. It stays the same, only with my CMDR name showing under the system and planets that I "discovered". Cant interact with them in any meaningful way, can't build a base.

It's "exploration" sure, but you don't get to "expore" a lot of variety.

Even If I'm first, there are no starports built in my name there, no earth likes are settled, nothing happens with the system. It stays the same, only with my CMDR name showing under the system and planets that I "discovered". Cant interact with them in any meaningful way, can't build a base.

It's "exploration" sure, but you don't get to "expore" a lot of variety.
But that sounds like a much more likely version of exploration in a future where we can explore billions of unexplored systems. How would you get the architects, contractors, sub-contractors, decorators and feng shui consultants out there?

Think about your immersion!

Top Bottom