Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Poor form from Arf there but it's not like it was Frontier's first marketing blunder and it will certainly not be the last.
Remember back in 2012 Braben preached the "“What I want to see down on the planet is interesting things, cityscapes, even animals, live trees, being a big game hunter. All of the things that we’ve been very ,very excited about for a long time, we want to be able to realize." to allure backers.
Almost 10 years now, and were still having trouble with lightning of the barren planets, doesn't bring hope for cityscapes, forests and animals in the near or far future.

Question - you hold CR to the same standard you're holding DB to here? Are you equally critical of CR for talking about things he wants in the game but still haven't materialized after 10 years?

Just want to check on that ;)

Also, lighting getting fixed in 1 day! Yay for update 9!

Indeed, the more Elite and SC implement similar features the more it's perceived the attention to detail and design choices or lack of them.
With Odyssey we got benches but we can't even sit, they make us a bartender but we can't get a drink. Why waste time and money making a bar and motion capturing a bartender if you don't let us buy a drink? Just brings the expectations up and then shatters it down to the most basic and restrictive gameplay.

Why do you need to buy a drink? Yeah, i also laugh at how we have bartenders that don't serve you drinks. On the other hand, i don't understand this fascination. I'm playing the game, i go to the bar, i order a drink, stand there while an animation plays and... what? What have i actually gained except spent some seconds doing effectively nothing.

You can order drinks in GTA. You know how often i've done it? Once.

Why do you need to buy a drink? Yeah, i also laugh at how we have bartenders that don't serve you drinks. On the other hand, i don't understand this fascination. I'm playing the game, i go to the bar, i order a drink, stand there while an animation plays and... what? What have i actually gained except spent some seconds doing effectively nothing.

Congratulation you have found a time sink that players keep complaining about, but for them somehow buying drinks from a barman is a game loop and not a time sink. People say, oh this is silly, why does it take me 5 minutes in SC to get to that station, time sink...pointless waste of time with nothing to do, now I'm here lemme get at the bar and spend ten minutes doing.......doing........well.....nothing!

Hey here's an idea, the very first interior they add to our ships should be a mini-bar, that way the complainers can spend the 5 minutes it takes to get to the station pretending to drink whisky!

On the off chance CIG ever completely rewrite their code to include orbits and bodies moving around the system star, as they say is coming ... how huge do you imagine the marketing fanfare will be? Seriously.

Groundbreaking, never been done before, etc.

But I wouldn't worry about it happening.

Then again, i guess its "not difficult", just like creating a 1:1 galaxy.
What do you think? Guys who find doors difficult - they'll never figure out to cast a galaxy.

One thing SaltEMike recently picked up on was CIG saying big capital ships could take 2 or more years to create. That's presumably just the ships, not all the associated gameplay loops (eg: base building). That should be very worrying for backers, especially those who bought the big ships.

One thing SaltEMike recently picked up on was CIG saying big capital ships could take 2 or more years to create. That's presumably just the ships, not all the associated gameplay loops (eg: base building). That should be very worrying for backers, especially those who bought the big ships.

Did I hear someone saying somewhere that large multi-crewed capital ships might have to exist in an instance all their own? How does this fit with player expectations of capital ship battles at some future stage!

Did I hear someone saying somewhere that large multi-crewed capital ships might have to exist in an instance all their own? How does this fit with player expectations of capital ship battles at some future stage!

Well, it depends on how many people they can fit on a a shard. It might be that a very large ship will never be able to be fully crewed!

1638953581984.png

Someone keeping the faith.

Considering in ED that the sentence for loitering is death, ordering a beer likely comes with a chaser of lead for DUI.

That was the outsider opinion of a 'Zenimax code monkey' recently. (Well, that capital ship combat could only occur on a single server, and so would so be limited by the player count / physics limits there. Not expected to push much beyond the 100 mark.)

And also the noise coming from inside CIG, seemingly, via the Agent's hotwire of gossip.

It's also a pretty reasonable conclusion to come to on hearing their latest announcements about 'Static Server Meshing' and how it's structured.

Last edited:
IMHO* there will be no capital ship battles.

All the promises of server smashing will fade away, one by one, when CIG is finally made to face the music. It is already happening, with them being refreshingly open about how the first version of server meshing will not even increase the player limit on a shard.

* This opinion is based on general professional intuition about distributed systems, examples of how other games do things and absolutely no game development experience whatsoever.

Top Bottom