Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Why does he have to be in the UK to do what he does? I'm guessing someone doesn't want him in the US and this was a good way to move him on.
No. Jared isn't leaving, he's probaly gonna sit infront of some Squadron 42 plastered wall and announce something.

1645390140570.png

Yep, move definitely Squadron 42 related.

No. Jared isn't leaving, he's probaly gonna sit infront of some Squadron 42 plastered wall and announce something.
I saw the clip when he announced he was going to the UK and he did not look happy. Won't get another gig like this though so he'll have to grin and bare it. It's OK going somewhere for a holiday, but being in a job in another country is much different. Especially if from what I've read he isn't the most likeable of people.

I saw the clip when he announced he was going to the UK and he did not look happy. Won't get another gig like this though so he'll have to grin and bare it. It's OK going somewhere for a holiday, but being in a job in another country is much different. Especially if from what I've read he isn't the most likeable of people.
Pretty much everyone in the community likes him, but yeah a move is a pretty big thing.

Source: https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1495073090115620874

Given the server cap for the foreseeable future is still 50 players, there are actually some pretty significant issues there…

Not least being the general principle, as voiced by this Zenimax MMO dev, that twitch combat between servers is a non-starter.

That would be the case if turret operators couldn’t see out of the ship, if scanning operators weren’t a planned addition, and things like external cameras too…

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/rv281y/external_cameras_incoming/

Essentially if CIG weren’t set on having every cake and eating them too…

And that’s before you get to all the other issues, such as the ones mentioned by the dev in the quoted post, regarding client load being as much of an issue with high player encounters as server limitations.

But don’t worry mate, I’m sure these devs are all worrying about nothing. It’ll all be sorted easily when remote streaming takes off properly. Or something ;)

External cameras, turret operators etc. Don't factor too much.

Anything inside the other ship, is not needed.
It's like occlusion blocks. You just render what you need.

I think that cig is pushing the envelope is to be commended

External cameras, turret operators etc. Don't factor too much.

Anything inside the other ship, is not needed.
It's like occlusion blocks. You just render what you need.

Oh look, you just repeated your opinion, while essentially ignoring all of the points raised. What a worthwhile post.

Think I’ll stick with the opinions of game devs who’ve worked in the area on this one fella. They’re a tad more compelling for some reason.

I think that cig is pushing the envelope is to be commended

And I think that CIG stuffing envelopes with cash from $3000 Javelins before they’ve even vaguely figured out how 80+ crew battle craft are going to work on either the client or networking front is to be condemned.

But guess we’ll see who’s got the best gut take on this one. Maybe by the second decade of development eh? ¯\(ツ)/¯

Oh look, you just repeated your opinion, while essentially ignoring all of the points raised. What a worthwhile post.

Think I’ll stick with the opinions of game devs who’ve worked in the area on this one fella. They’re a tad more compelling for some reason.

And I think that CIG stuffing envelopes with cash from $3000 Javelins before they’ve even vaguely figured out how 80+ crew battle craft are going to work on either the client or networking front is to be condemned.

But guess we’ll see who’s got the best gut take on this one. Maybe by the second decade of development eh? ¯\(ツ)/¯

LoL...

So I have ship location, orientation, and direction of travel data...of the enemy ship

But somehow in your mind I need to repeat this data for every single person in the entire game?

Just no.

You would send that data once, and have anyone who needs it 'look it up'.

Cameras, scanners, gunners, people looking out of the window, all the same 1 Data point rendered locally.

People talking like server meshing is some impossible over unity device is a pretty luddite way of looking at it.

There are a myriad of ways to achieve what they want to do

This does apply to CIG because SC uses normal culling techniques like any other game out there. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Well, other than Elite Dangerous Odyssey 🤣
Hahaha, true.
Instead of using normal game design principles, David Braben searches for the maximum fidelity in trade for massive performance dips and does not employ culling in his latest expansion. Braben is a madman, Odyssey won't ever run well with him at the helm.
You both are behind the times
Source: https://twitter.com/TheYamiks/status/1468939937861021702

But somehow in your mind I need to repeat this data for every single person in the entire game?

What? Not something I've said friend.

You would send that data once, and have anyone who needs it 'look it up'.

Cameras, scanners, gunners, people looking out of the window, all the same 1 Data point rendered locally.

You're looking at it the wrong way round. The point about having internal crew being able to see the external battlefield is that both clients and networks are now having to deal with both worlds (ship interior and external battlefield). That's a lot of load.

The current Xeno Threat event maxes out the networking side of the equation even now, while only using NPC capital ships with no interiors, averaging an absurdly low server tick rate of 3 FPS. And is barrelling such absurd amounts of data about that if CIG were to ever hit their target of a tick rate of 30, it would be absurdly expensive to run.

(Which is all very unfortunate, as one of the few scenarios which could rectify some of the above issues would be to host capital ship interiors on their own server. A solution which is frowned upon by CIG, and by MMO devs such as the prior Zenimax guy, on the grounds that it would be absurdly expensive to run...)

But believe away that they can easily handle a ton more networking load, and a ton more client load, in scenarios such as this. Sure...

There are a myriad of ways to achieve what they want to do

That's nice. Strange that they've enacted precisely zero of them to date after 9 years of production though isn't it :unsure:

---

TLDR: Lol away fella. But you really aren't asking the right questions here...

Last edited:
I love Cyberpunk 2077 too

Yes it's a good game.

Especially as you can start to grind levels during the opening story arc. That way when you start the mission without guns, you can just craft yourself the super homing 1 shot kill sniper - it's also kinda cool how the story is a complete red herring

Back
Top Bottom