Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

There is certainly more 30k in 3.17 than in 3.16 as (it seems) they are deploying entity graph.
But I haven't seen one myself yet and every players of this thread had stated they haven't seen one also.
I still haven't suffered any 30k's with 3.17 at all, which is nice...not too many bugs either bar the usual perennials. I spent a few hours bimbling about ROC mining this evening. I was thrilled to discover that loading a ROC on the back of my Nomad space pick-up no longer makes it explode...the ROC also doesn't randomly fall off all on it's own when you're not looking.

I kinda like the little Nomad with the ROC shoved on the tailgate...I feel like a redneck hauling a Bobcat on the back of a Chevy Silverado :D

QAg0wcY.png

Last edited:
What's your config ?
Intel i7-9750H
NVidia GeForce 1660ti
32 GB RAM
M.2 SSD

Usually I play games at 1080 60 fps vysnc locked, though sometimes I'll go up to 1440p on my HDR TV for games that can maintain 60 fps (it's very rare I can maintain a full 4K at 60 fps for most games I own).

Allegedly, performance has improved recently. I certainly hope so. My new computer struggled to even get above 30 FPS the last two free flies. Considering it can effortlessly run even the most demanding VR games I have with all the bells and whistles activated these days, and you’re worrying you might need a $4000 machine to run Star Citizen…
From what I read and have seen in videos, performance is a big variable like it is in Odyssey. I'm not doubting you, don't get me wrong, but I would love if someone with similar specs to my own would give me their results (and graphics settings, as that makes a HUGE difference).

If the consensus is that I won't achieve more than 30 fps at 1080p with decent settings, then I'll probably just pass on the whole thing, unless Star Citizen implements a really good motion blur feature. RDR2 on PS4 is only 30 fps but still looks amazing because the motion blur is done so nicely that it looks almost as smooth as 60 fps. But I'm guessing Star Citizen is no Red Dead..

Intel i7-9750H
NVidia GeForce 1660ti
32 GB RAM
M.2 SSD

Usually I play games at 1080 60 fps vysnc locked, though sometimes I'll go up to 1440p on my HDR TV for games that can maintain 60 fps (it's very rare I can maintain a full 4K at 60 fps for most games I own).
That should run Star Citizen OK, you've got the important bits like 32Gb of ram and an m.2 which helps immensely...Turn all the graphic options to very high at 1080p and you should be fine for decent-ish framerates....Turn off chromatic aberration and film grain, sharpening to full, volumetric clouds at medium, terrain distance to high...the rest you can faff about with to see what happens. There's a few tweaks and tips to be had when setting stuff up graphics wise, when it gets to the time you do try the free-fly, those of us who are kinda used to SC's foibles will help you get it up and running :)

Turn off chromatic aberration and film grain,
I don't like all those cheesy effects even when performance is not an issue, so no problem there! I'm an effects minimalist ;)

However, I do like my quality shadows and smooth LOD transitions! (I know, don't expect the latter down on planets)

I don't like all those cheesy effects even when performance is not an issue, so no problem there! I'm an effects minimalist ;)

However, I do like my quality shadows and smooth LOD transitions! (I know, don't expect the latter down on planets)
I think you'll be surprised...although SC isn't by any standards optimised, considering the level of detail in everything that's there, it runs surprisingly well without the need of a NASA PC to run it all. The planetary stuff always looks pretty good. The main frame rate killers are still the city port player spawn areas...or Coruscant Hurston or Hoth Microtech with the volumetric clouds...and Bespin Orison for the same reason... but with those you can tailor individual detail levels to suit what you have.

Last edited:
I think you'll be surprised...although SC isn't by any standards optimised, considering the level of detail in everything that's there, it runs surprisingly well without the need of a NASA PC to run it all. The planetary stuff always looks pretty good. The main frame rate killers are still the city port player spawn areas...or Coruscant Hurston or Hoth Microtech with the volumetric clouds...and Bespin Orison for the same reason... but with those you can tailor individual detail levels to suit what you have.

That's a point too @Old Duck, Not-Bespin is quite intensive, so when they do this event, try and rent the ships you want, get out to space, set your respawn in a station then have a play with them.

@Old Duck
Some random tips :
Read the signs in city like in real life to not get lost.
To open hangar's door or to land, ask with F1, comm panel and clic on the city channel icon.
Ask in chat if you need help, usually very helpful.
At first launch, the game create all shader's cache, it can give you some stutter in the process.
If the floor is black (asset not loaded) don't walk on it.
Don't spend too much time/money buying armor or weapons at the beginning, you'll die quickly and loose all stuff you had bought.
Since 3.16, there is plenty of box to loot, even when doing delivery missions (even some box in outpost) so look at boxes with the 'f' key.
To dogfight, almost every ship has guns mounted on gimball but you have to activate them by cycling the 'g' key to the dotted circle. To target use 't'.
Wheel scroll will change your walking speed.
In option you have a keyboard with all keys in game. The are numerous but don't be afraid, when you start only a few are useful.

To be fair, he never played to progress much in Elite either. Spent years in the original backer Cobra with not much progress as far as I remember. I presume his goal was (and is) not really to play and progress in the game, but to play the game only as a necessary mean to increase awareness about his book/writing business. Nothing wrong with that though, so fair enough.
Oooft.

I remember him playing ED - maybe around Odyssey release or just before? - and he was talking to his viewers about orbits and some of the bodies in Sol, and he was asking his chat if the orbital plane of bodies could even be inclined in ED. Looking at the orbital lines on the hud he saw that it was.

So, yeah.

Oooft.

I remember him playing ED - maybe around Odyssey release or just before? - and he was talking to his viewers about orbits and some of the bodies in Sol, and he was asking his chat if the orbital plane of bodies could even be inclined in ED. Looking at the orbital lines on the hud he saw that it was.

So, yeah.
I'm not as cynical about Drew...he plays games like a writer, namely being more interested in the lore, the created worlds and the story than he is about the gameplay. With regard to SC...he's hardly likely to just pop out a few game streams as a self advertisement and be invited into Ci¬G's writing team, nor do I suspect his involvement with SC is some form of self promotion. For one...I haven't heard him plugging any of his books during his SC streams.

Isn't it just possible that he's a sci-fi writer who just plays and enjoys games from the same genre he writes in...or is the fact he's slipped over to play and stream SC being viewed as some kind of petty betrayal now?

I'm not particularly a Drew fan by the way...never read any of his work, but I can't find reason to slate him for either enjoying and streaming his experiences in Star Citizen or for leaving ED behind in the way he did. He was a bit dramatic...but if I had to count the people who've posted some form of dramatic farewell on this forum over the years, I'd need an abacus 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Isn't it just possible that he's a sci-fi writer who just plays and enjoys games from the same genre he writes in...or is the fact he's slipped over to play and stream SC being viewed as some kind of petty betrayal now?
It's more his "scorned lover" attitude he had when he left that abrades. Which is why I can't wait for him to try to start a special relationship with Roberts. The 3-way with Sandi will be interesting.

It's more his "scorned lover" attitude he had when he left that abrades. Which is why I can't wait for him to try to start a special relationship with Roberts. The 3-way with Sandi will be interesting.
Meh...he's a writer. Aren't they all dramatic? As for sliding up to CR & Co and producing some weird joint intellectual property...not happening. The Star Citizen and Sqn 404 writing team of Dave Haddock, Will Weissbaum and others have been there as long as CR has...Besides...it's not like any of them are a Larry Heinlein or a Greg Bear...is it?

Last edited:
Meh...he's a writer. Aren't they all dramatic? As for sliding up to CR & Co...not happening. The Star Citizen and Sqn 404 writing team of Dave Haddock, Will Weissbaum and others have been there as long as CR has.
I know...which is why I can't wait for him to try. His inability to convince FD to let him (and "other writers") chime in on the game's progress was the apparent reason for his dissatisfaction. I want to see how much traction he gets now...or will he not even try but just keep making sugary videos? :unsure:

Maybe he needs Senpai to notice him first?

I know...which is why I can't wait for him to try. His inability to convince FD to let him (and "other writers") chime in on the game's progress was the apparent reason for his dissatisfaction. I want to see how much traction he gets now...or will he not even try but just keep making sugary videos? :unsure:

Maybe he needs Senpai to notice him first?
What is this thing with assuming he has some sort of agenda? Is it because it's SC or more that he irritated a few folk with his leaving ED dramatics? 🤷‍♂️

What is this thing with assuming he has some sort of agenda? Is it because it's SC or more that he irritated a few with his leaving ED dramatics? 🤷‍♂️
For me it's his attitude when leaving. I don't speak for anyone else. I just want to see him stick to his words; if ED wasn't worth playing because FD wouldn't accept his ideas then I look forward to seeing what happens now. Starfield is coming soon right?

What is this thing with assuming he has some sort of agenda? Is it because it's SC or more that he irritated a few folk with his leaving ED dramatics? 🤷‍♂️

Probably because he’s openly interested in such a thing happening ;)

I’m sure he is mainly streaming it because it has opened a space cupboard in his soul though. Genuinely.

(The cupboard did seem to creak ever so slightly when he shared his fidelity beer with the table NPC though ;))

Back
Top Bottom