Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

You're supposed to be talking me down from this ledge, not pushing me off it. You all are losing your mojo, LOL.

I started the process of downloading SC, but I'm a bit "fussy" when it comes to what software I install on my computer, along with who I give my personal information to (even something simple like an email address). I'm not sure I want to be on CiG's mailing list.. And thanks to you lot, I have all these doubts now about CiG's honesty, so that makes me more wary of installing their software. My computer is my castle, and I don't lower the drawbridge for just anyone.

iu

I blame Obsidian Ant, Drew Wager, and now even Captain Collins - they keep leading me down the path of temptation!

I am weak; weak I say! Save me from myself!!
Nah CIG probably won't activate hidden ransomware unless they run out of backers money. And they certainly never ever sell your personal information to any shady operators...Besides, who cares about some little rootkit among friends?

You're supposed to be talking me down from this ledge, not pushing me off it. You all are losing your mojo, LOL.

I started the process of downloading SC, but I'm a bit "fussy" when it comes to what software I install on my computer, along with who I give my personal information to (even something simple like an email address). I'm not sure I want to be on CiG's mailing list.. And thanks to you lot, I have all these doubts now about CiG's honesty, so that makes me more wary of installing their software. My computer is my castle, and I don't lower the drawbridge for just anyone.

iu

I blame Obsidian Ant, Drew Wager, and now even Captain Collins - they keep leading me down the path of temptation!

Not until you reach Wing Commander level of money wasted.

iu

I think you should go all in. Get a new top spec pc, download SC, be immersed.

Please.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I have recently noticed that more and more people switches to SC from Elite, in my 400-people community at least. There are more and more voices about lack of meaningful updates, grind, long-standing bugs not being fixed etc. for Elite and that SC does so many things better than Elite, also that there is a lot more to do and have fun with, even though there is only 1 system.

And considering what's been happening in Elite world for the past year I can definitely agree with some of those statements. It's interesting to see definitely, purely from gaming enthusiast point of view.

I hope FDEV will really up their game now that console dev is cancelled...

I'm aiming to try some FPS action tonight with some friends after I finish work. I want to see for myself how the FPS dynamics stack up against Elite :)

Just to clarify, I am 100% against the "us vs them" mindset and I think the more space games the better, even though I often laughed at SC in the past, the more I try it, the more I actually like it. It's not a proper game for me and won't be for a very long time, BUT Elite definitely has lowered the bar A LOT in the recent year and frankly, playing both games gives me similar levels of frustration with bugs, silly design and things not working properly.

So while SC is getting better with every release IMO, at the same time Elite is really degrading in quality and I think this is the main factor behind people switching - both games are similarly annoying :D

While Elite is a still a much better product as a complete experience, but it seems this less and less important to people due to degrading quality of the product as a whole.

While Elite is a still a much better product as a complete experience, but it seems this less and less important to people due to degrading quality of the product as a whole.
Star Citizen also at least pretends to have this amazing future, something I really wish Elite did as well.

Source: https://youtu.be/uCGD9dT12C0

I honestly don't know how exciting the gas giants or clouds or other things are in Star Citizen in reality, but the hype has definitely caught my attention more than once. I sure do wish Frontier were talking about such things for Elite Dangerous. Instead we hear about "some feature is getting reworked in 2023" and that's it. Mighty hard to get excited about that.

I have recently noticed that more and more people switches to SC from Elite, in my 400-people community at least. There are more and more voices about lack of meaningful updates, grind, long-standing bugs not being fixed etc. for Elite and that SC does so many things better than Elite, also that there is a lot more to do and have fun with, even though there is only 1 system.

And considering what's been happening in Elite world for the past year I can definitely agree with some of those statements. It's interesting to see definitely, purely from gaming enthusiast point of view.

I hope FDEV will really up their game now that console dev is cancelled...

I'm aiming to try some FPS action tonight with some friends after I finish work. I want to see for myself how the FPS dynamics stack up against Elite :)

Just to clarify, I am 100% against the "us vs them" mindset and I think the more space games the better, even though I often laughed at SC in the past, the more I try it, the more I actually like it. It's not a proper game for me and won't be for a very long time, BUT Elite definitely has lowered the bar A LOT in the recent year and frankly, playing both games gives me similar levels of frustration with bugs, silly design and things not working properly.

So while SC is getting better with every release IMO, at the same time Elite is really degrading in quality and I think this is the main factor behind people switching - both games are similarly annoying :D

I can understand people leaving Elite for varying reasons. What I can't understand is people leaving Elite for Star Citizen.

For me its kind of like wanting a mobile phone, being stuck with a landline, and stop using the landline and replace it with two cans and a piece of string.

Star Citizen also at least pretends to have this amazing future, something I really wish Elite did as well.

Source: https://youtu.be/uCGD9dT12C0

I honestly don't know how exciting the gas giants or clouds or other things are in Star Citizen in reality, but the hype has definitely caught my attention more than once. I sure do wish Frontier were talking about such things for Elite Dangerous. Instead we hear about "some feature is getting reworked in 2023" and that's it. Mighty hard to get excited about that.

Well, at least FD don't regularly make huge promises about things that are coming.

It all depends on what you want. Constant hype over things that largely never appear, won't appear for years, or turn out to be a lot more basic than advertised to be, or a complete lack of communication and generally things arriving to some hype, most likely being a lot less impressive than they might have been.

Both generally end up with the same result, its just whether you want the months or years of hype in between while you wait :D

You'll be really disappointed. If you manage to get to your FPS mission without getting killed by the various bugs (hint: there's a lift you have to take in order to access bunker missions... good luck with that), you'll find that the AI is brain dead, that the network desync is beyond playable, that AI spawns from some random locations and immediately shoots you (in the back, if you are looking away from that location which is often a dead end..), movement is janky and rubber bandy, and the simple action of just equipping a weapon is risky in itself.
In my experience, it was the worst of what SC has to offer, since it concentrates the many points of failure of their still completely broken game engine.

If you want a good FPS squad action game you'll have plenty of good choices nowadays, from Tarkov to Squad and then the classics like Arma...

I've genuinely no idea. He could simply be trying to make slick adventures because he thinks that's better content. But regardless of motive, he's definitely misrepresenting his experience with the vids.

(And it's just daft because he could make much more honest vids that are still entertaining. The bugs are genuinely amusing ;). And they genuinely have some fun navigating them and bouncing around the jank box. Just show that ¯\(ツ)/¯ )

---

FWIW the AngryGamer's put out a meme bundle that leans the other way ;)

Source: https://youtu.be/lwruSbJGdGs
Jack's not really one for producing 'objective' videos though...is he? His endless Battlefield paid shill nonsense being a case in point :)

Is he doing the same for Ci¬G and Star Citizen for some form of renumeration? Nope, I don't think so...despite his reputation.

A Skeptic Ignores Invictus Week
Part Four
The "What Was I Thinking?" Quest

(part one)
(part two)
(part three)

Well…I didn’t exactly cover myself in glory during my first combat outing. Not much really to say, beyond “Many mistakes were made.”

Part One - Shopping Trip

Source: https://youtu.be/f7bcm2wnt70

Part Two - Dumb Ways to Die

Source: https://youtu.be/bvLEU8JzuDo
I love your videos and commentary of SC on here...I'd ask for more but I'm perfectly aware of where you stand with Ci¬G :)

Just as a pointer...holding the 'F' key in the pilot seat brings up the cockpit interactive menu to start up etc..

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
You'll be really disappointed. If you manage to get to your FPS mission without getting killed by the various bugs (hint: there's a lift you have to take in order to access bunker missions... good luck with that), you'll find that the AI is brain dead, that the network desync is beyond playable, that AI spawns from some random locations and immediately shoots you (in the back, if you are looking away from that location which is often a dead end..), movement is janky and rubber bandy, and the simple action of just equipping a weapon is risky in itself.
In my experience, it was the worst of what SC has to offer, since it concentrates the many points of failure of their still completely broken game engine.

If you want a good FPS squad action game you'll have plenty of good choices nowadays, from Tarkov to Squad and then the classics like Arma...

Yeah, I'm aware how buggy this patch is. Some of the guys I play with became really passionate and they know the workarounds etc.

I do play other FPS games, mainly Titanfall 2, Tarkov and Lemnis Gate. But I want to see specifically how the FPS dynamics work in SC, just out of interest really.

Yeah, I'm aware how buggy this patch is. Some of the guys I play with became really passionate and they know the workarounds etc.

I do play other FPS games, mainly Titanfall 2, Tarkov and Lemnis Gate. But I want to see specifically how the FPS dynamics work in SC, just out of interest really.

Report back please, ideally with Rootsvids o7

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom