Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Instancing is just the no brainer solution to so many of their problems.

They hinted at it in the SM Q&A:

Without mechanics to prevent every single player going to the same location, a large mega shard will be very hard to achieve, especially on the client. For example, there could be a mechanic to temporarily close jump points to crowded locations, or create new layers for certain locations.

Either slam a gate allowing no more players in to the 'dynamic event'... or just instance it...

But it's going to take more than 10 years of blather for them to fully come round to that conclusion ;)

At least the ground combat might eventually function that way. Just a shame about the expensive capital ship battles and the seamlessness and that...

Instancing is just the no brainer solution to so many of their problems.

They hinted at it in the SM Q&A:

Either slam a gate allowing no more players in to the 'dynamic event'... or just instance it...
Typical CIG: theorycraft on possibilities for evolutions on already several years late Jesus tech, to hopefully solve obvious problems they suddenly discover from their no compromise, no cheating, never done before grandeurs their tech was made for.

Also look at how they conveniently avoid bad words like instances by using layers instead. Starting inception of the compromises to come in faithful sponge mind... A couple years from now, new LA incarnation will tell us how it was always the plan, how it only started only months ago and how even if same as any other games it's different and betterer, when it'll be finished.

Infinite monkey gamedesign. Prealpha PU, but pre-prototype conceptual design.

Also look at how they conveniently avoid bad words like instances by using layers instead. Starting inception of the compromises to come in faithful sponge mind... A couple years from now, new LA incarnation will tell us how it was always the plan, how it only started only months ago and how even if same as any other games it's different and betterer, when it'll be finished.

Need to look at how words are used, LOTRO uses "layers" and "instances". Instanced dungeons are a separate world area that generates when players set up a party to do a raid or 3 man dungeon etc, instances are open world areas that separate players based on server load. Dungeon Instances are only accessible by grouped party members, if you aren't in the party you don't get in, layers are accessible by anyone until the player limit is reached, giving preference to party and friends, but the game area in a layer always exists as part of the generated world, whereas dungeons don't actually exist until a group of players is running a dungeon.

I expect in this case they are using layers in the same way LOTRO, a 2007 game, is using layers, just pulling players into a separate servers as the player limit is reached. The way madmike wants them in his video is to have them like dungeons, where just he and friends can enter. So layers and instances are fundamentally different, but both are a way to limit player numbers. In an instance the players have total control over who enters up to the dungeon limit, in a layer the server has control but can be preferenced for friends and party members but can't guarantee that all friends/party members will end up in the same layer.

Need to look at how words are used, LOTRO uses "layers" and "instances". Instanced dungeons are a separate world area that generates when players set up a party to do a raid or 3 man dungeon etc, instances are open world areas that separate players based on server load. Dungeon Instances are only accessible by grouped party members, if you aren't in the party you don't get in, layers are accessible by anyone until the player limit is reached, giving preference to party and friends, but the game area in a layer always exists as part of the generated world, whereas dungeons don't actually exist until a group of players is running a dungeon.

I expect in this case they are using layers in the same way LOTRO, a 2007 game, is using layers, just pulling players into a separate servers as the player limit is reached. The way madmike wants them in his video is to have them like dungeons, where just he and friends can enter. So layers and instances are fundamentally different, but both are a way to limit player numbers. In an instance the players have total control over who enters up to the dungeon limit, in a layer the server has control but can be preferenced for friends and party members but can't guarantee that all friends/party members will end up in the same layer.
OK, layers, it is. Makes sense.

Ok so basically everything in ED is layers except for USS which are instances?
Given the changes to USSs several years ago, I'd say that they're "layers" as well. They're no longer unique to the session's host, they're generated "server side." So I could drop into a HGE in Open, and someone also in Open in North America could drop into the same one, and watch me snatching up all the Pharmaceutical Isolators, leaving none behind.

But someone in Open in Australia wouldn't see either of us, and have their own batch of engineering goodies to collect. The same would be true for everyone in Solo, or in different private groups. Someone in the same private group could drop into the same USS though.

Why is it that I still get the urge to shout "Burn the witch!" every time I see images of the lovely Kate Bush from back in the 70's and 80's? She's always been kind of a hottie...but one of those weird hotties that when they see you together, your mates all make the sign of the cross when her back is turned :whistle:

Why is it that I still get the urge to shout "Burn the witch!" every time I see images of the lovely Kate Bush from back in the 70's and 80's? She's always been kind of a hottie...but one of those weird hotties that when they see you together, your mates all make the sign of the cross when her back is turned :whistle:

She was so flexible back then she probably could have spun her head all the way round. You were wise to be wary ;)

Back
Top Bottom