Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Oh no! A SC refugee!

Someone alert Lt. Dan!

1660198332400.png

Pah. Chris Roberts would never step down. He codes every night according to his wife who is on the directors board. He cares so much he is actually moving to the same country as the project he started back in 2011 so that he can really make it come together.

This year he even made that one video on top of all that work he's doing behind the scenes.

Blast from the Past: Gamescom Interview 2016

Source: https://youtu.be/xILkUz9QAJQ

"We're definitely going to do tools to allow people to like do content creation and stuff." [1m10s]

"I will say that the private server ones, they will not be able to do what like our full cloud thing will do. That's got multiple, multiple servers running everything. And we're going to have them meshed together so we can have lots of people in the same instance." [2m]

"On the VR front [animations are] pretty easy for us, because we unified everything... We just have one animation, one character, one rig, which runs in first or third person. There's no cheating. In first person view we stabilise the view in the same way that your brain stabilises the view that comes from your eyes..." [😁][2m50s]

"Procedural planets is a bad word for them. What it is is they are artist and design driven planets that uses procedural techniques to build out areas quickly."
"But in terms of the planet, like specifying, like how you build it, like where the mountains would be, where the oceans would be, where the desert would be, where the forests would be, that's all specified by an artist at a high level. And then they build templates and components where the procedural tech can take all the high level like world, and like world height map, and applies the sets, like here's a forest biome, or here's a mountain biome etc, and then it paints in areas based on what the artist has specified. So what it really is we're using procedural tools to allow an artist to build something of a fidelity of Crysis but at a planetary scale. Very quickly."
"An artist with all the templates done right can create a world in less than a day." [4m55s]

[On SC vs NMS] "But you know, of course, still gotta finish it. They're already shipping it out." [8m08s]

"Since we're planning to put everyone in the same instances, so there'll just definitely be a case where you and your organisation can like: Pull off, find a place that you like on one of the planets, like bring in some habitats, and build your own little base, and then put a shield so it can't really be seen by other people, and give out location so they can join you. And maybe some other organisation will be cruising around, scanning stuff, find your base and there'll be a battle." [10m30s]

"If we have 10 million players... then you're likely to have about a million people concurrent.... That would be amazing because World of Warcraft is 10 million." 12m15s

Blast from the Past: Gamescom Interview 2016

Source: https://youtu.be/xILkUz9QAJQ

"We're definitely going to do tools to allow people to like do content creation and stuff." [1m10s]

"I will say that the private server ones, they will not be able to do what like our full cloud thing will do. That's got multiple, multiple servers running everything. And we're going to have them meshed together so we can have lots of people in the same instance." [2m]

"On the VR front [animations are] pretty easy for us, because we unified everything... We just have one animation, one character, one rig, which runs in first or third person. There's no cheating. In first person view we stabilise the view in the same way that your brain stabilises the view that comes from your eyes..." [😁][2m50s]

"Procedural planets is a bad word for them. What it is is they are artist and design driven planets that uses procedural techniques to build out areas quickly."
"But in terms of the planet, like specifying, like how you build it, like where the mountains would be, where the oceans would be, where the desert would be, where the forests would be, that's all specified by an artist at a high level. And then they build templates and components where the procedural tech can take all the high level like world, and like world height map, and applies the sets, like here's a forest biome, or here's a mountain biome etc, and then it paints in areas based on what the artist has specified. So what it really is we're using procedural tools to allow an artist to build something of a fidelity of Crysis but at a planetary scale. Very quickly."
"An artist with all the templates done right can create a world in less than a day." [4m55s]

[On SC vs NMS] "But you know, of course, still gotta finish it. They're already shipping it out." [8m08s]

"Since we're planning to put everyone in the same instances, so there'll just definitely be a case where you and your organisation can like: Pull off, find a place that you like on one of the planets, like bring in some habitats, and build your own little base, and then put a shield so it can't really be seen by other people, and give out location so they can join you. And maybe some other organisation will be cruising around, scanning stuff, find your base and there'll be a battle." [10m30s]

"If we have 10 million players... then you're likely to have about a million people concurrent.... That would be amazing because World of Warcraft is 10 million." 12m15s
Hmmmm, I'm just imagine Italian reactions today. Contains lots of swear words.

My favorite bug I ran into so far was when I was on orison. I just stored my hammerhead and was riding the shuttle to crusader platform when I was PULLED from the tram through space to suddenly be lying in bed in prison.

Another fantastical nugget in the full vid...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVGv4R3FBWs&t=8m

In preparation of one of the BIGGEST life in the verse changes, coming some time next year... The Hammerhead just had a sprint retrofitting it with internal power relays. A necessary component of the resource management system that is at the centre of EVERYTHING from: Engineering gameplay, life support, increased time-to-kill, on site repair, and the foundational basis for true multicrew gameplay. Now there's still quite a journey ahead for resource management, but it's exciting to see the work beginning to get integrated into the Persistent Universe proper.

So in 2022 the overwhelming majority of the existing ~117 ships need to be retrofitted with power relay assets and functionality. To make all of those long-planned gameplay features start to function. In 2023. Maybe.

Even given that 39% of all the ships they've sold are 'variants', and so will have similarities between types, that's still a stupidly large amount of work. And a genuinely stupid way round of doing it ;)

Definitely won't take another ten years though.

What Did We Learn?:

There's a ship sale in 4 days...

What Will We Learn?:

TTK is gonna plummet when those damn power relays glitch out ;)

Top Bottom