Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
SQ42 has been missing from the store for nearly 3 weeks now.

This is perfectly normal.

Facts:
  • Last CIG´s video update on SQ42 was almost 3 years ago (iirc)
  • Chris Roberts stops offering release dates for SQ42 after multiple failures to deliver on own estimates and lets it at a "done when it´s done".
  • CIG removes SQ42 from sale altogether until further notice
@LittleAnt´s conclusions:
  • SQ42 release is imminent
  • SQ42 is going to receive good reviews
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Foulest doubter!

SQ404 isn't missing. It is in a critical phase of polishing and mocap retouchment before final script readjustments.

Bishop's Speech has passed through the circles of linguistic repurposment and now makes sense in the modern vernacular with only minor spoilers

The Morrow Tour is now on it's second re-rework and it's like nothing you have seen before.

The Mess Hall Scene has decided to publish itself as a separate standalone game in the early hours of August 29th.

Despite creative differences, agents and counsel on both sides are working hard to arrange a successful negotiation with the Sandwurmie to continue on in his/her/their iconic role.

View attachment 357689
So am I right that the above is saying that there will be 'seamless server switching' only during Quantum Travel? But isn't Quantum Travel pretty much a loading screen of sorts already?
At the moment it's not a loading screen per se. You notice a consistent frame hitch when traveling in QT from / to a location when the game loads or unloads assets from that location. So while there's no loading screen indeed the game just freezes for a little while. May happen too when jumping from an orbital marker to a ground destination on a planet, but I'm not sure it was related.

@ShinyHobo (Sorry not sure how else to contact you).

Loving the additions to the enhanced timeline! Being able to go back to older timelines per feature is great :).

(And right now having an archive of removed feature descriptions is great too. Any idea why stuff like 'Quantum Simulation' isn't showing on the official tracker currently? Don't remember it being removed. Glitch maybe?)
That's alright; I'm also on Spectrum and Reddit. Thanks for the complements! I'm working on new features all the time. The next big one is the introduction of single deliverable history, which would allow you to see how the timeline has changed since I started tracking.

I was told that an update to their back-end broke it; the same issue is affecting other areas like telemetry and the dev tracker. In terms of missing Progress Tracker items, 349 of 494 (about 70%) of them fell off due to this problem. I suspect that either their database, or the library they use to read/write to it, updated in an unpredictable fashion. Could have also just been a good old fashioned bug a deployment introduced. Unsure.

Facts:
  • Chris Roberts stops offering release dates for SQ42 after multiple failures to deliver on own estimates and lets it at a "done when it´s done".
🤷‍♂️
Recent mocap with Salah ("I said no Concept Ships!") suggests they are trying to get something out to fulfill their obligation. My bet is still MVP cinemaware.

At the moment it's not a loading screen per se. You notice a consistent frame hitch when traveling in QT from / to a location when the game loads or unloads assets from that location. So while there's no loading screen indeed the game just freezes for a little while. May happen too when jumping from an orbital marker to a ground destination on a planet, but I'm not sure it was related.

Oh, sweary mary alert in the vid above.

This little snippet made me wonder. So, in effect, they are loading screens in a similar way to the FSD charge/drop.

Facts:
🤷‍♂️

Makes you wonder if the changes to law in the EU regarding purchases really does have something to do with it.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Recent mocap with Salah ("I said no Concept Ships!") suggests they are trying to get something out to fulfill their obligation. My bet is still MVP cinemaware.
Perhaps. I can see them “releasing” a crappy prologue episode of some kind. That much at least I d hope even CIGs incompetence can handle?

In order to deliver the game, they had to build the company (Tier-0), the delivery tracking system (Tier-0), and the matchbox spaceship store (Tier-42).

Now they are taking three weeks for a "price change". Or, something somewhere changed legally and they decided it was too risky to keep the separate package up.

Last edited:

This, its not a loading screen.
Star Citizen uses object containers that stream in and out on the fly as you move through the system, so for example if in QTJ you're moving away from Crusader (It being in an object container) it is unloaded from memory, or "streamed out" as you approach MicroTech it is read from the disk and loaded in to memory "streamed in" that hitching Surefoot is talking about is your hardrive being accessed, this is one reason a slow drive cases more of that, a faster drive is smoother, it uses the same technology more locally to your avatar too, assets like 3D objects and textures are streamed in and out around you as you run around, again if you have a slow drive, like a spinney disk that will cause a lot of stuttering due to hard accessing of a slow drive, and the more Video RAM and system RAM you have the less of this streaming will occur, its why a system with 32GB of RAM runs the game much smoother than one with 16GB.

But why? Because Multiplayer with a fully physicalized world, so you have you multicrew ship, i'm flying, @Surefoot is in the back playing a prank on me, he's removing my shield generator, for funnies, he's doing that as i'm moving between the Crusader and MicroTech object containers, nothing happened to me, him or my ship, we don't even know its happened, because we didn't load in to a new instance, we didn't go anywhere while also still moving, instead the location we are arriving at was loaded in to memory on the fly while we were doing our thing in the existing instance.

I'm in danger here of praising CIG of something..... i have to, this is what makes Star Citizen unique. its that multicrewing and the reason for ship interiors that is only possible with this technology, because you can't load a ship and its crew in to a new instance, you can't take that ship, with you and X amount of others in side it running around doing their own thing and load it from level 1 in to level 2, you can only do that if you're the only one in it and fixed to your seat, like for example Elite Dangerous. Which is why ship interiors was never going to be a thing in ED, Mr Braben.

Last edited:
This, its not a loading screen.
Star Citizen uses object containers that stream in and out on the fly as you move through the system, so for example if in QTJ you're moving away from Crusader (It being in an object container) it is unloaded from memory, or "streamed out" as you approach MicroTech it is read from the disk and loaded in to memory "streamed in" that hitching Surefoot is talking about is your hardrive being accessed, this is one reason a slow drive cases more of that, a faster drive is smoother, it uses the same technology more locally to your avatar too, assets like 3D objects and textures are streamed in and out around you as you run around, again if you have a slow drive, like a spinney disk that will cause a lot of stuttering due to hard accessing of a slow drive, and the more Video RAM and system RAM you have the less of this streaming will occur, its why a system with 32GB of RAM runs the game much smoother than one with 16GB.

But why? Because Multiplayer with a fully physicalized world, so you have you multicrew ship, i'm flying, @Surefoot is in the back playing a prank on me, he's removing my shield generator, for funnies, he's doing that as i'm moving between the Crusader and MicroTech object containers, nothing happened to me, him or my ship, we don't even know its happened, because we didn't load in to a new instance, we didn't go anywhere while also still moving, instead the location we are arriving at was loaded in to memory on the fly while we were doing our thing in the existing instance.

I'm in danger here of praising CIG of something..... i have to, this is what makes Star Citizen unique. its that multicrewing and the reason for ship interiors that is only possible with this technology, because you can't load a ship and its crew in to a new instance, you can take that ship, with you and X amount of others in side it running around doing thier own thing and load it from lecel 1 in to level 2, you can only do that if you're the only one in it and fixed to your seat, like for example Elite Dangerous. Which is why ship interiours was never going to be a thing in ED, Mr Braben.

Was with you until the last paragraph, but CIG are not the first to do this sort of thing, having players in different instances/regions and streaming things in and out.

Moreover, what CIG are delivering is still a far cry from what was initially pitched, with everyone on the same server.

Say what you like about ED, but playing in Open, you can go to the same location as another player and see them, whereas with SC, you go to the same location as another player, but they might be on a different server, so you'll never see them.

Take Ark for example. I can be riding a dino, and someone can be working the forge in my base on the back of my dino, and someone on the far side of the island has no idea about my dino or what is happening on it (the game client doesn't know as well). But as i ride my dino towards that other player, stuff gets streamed in and out, and when close enough, the other player will be able to see me, my dino, and the guy working the forge on my mobile base. Its pretty similar.

I'm sure there are a lot of examples of games that do this sort of thing.

PS: Multicrew dinos FTW!

The next big one is the introduction of single deliverable history, which would allow you to see how the timeline has changed since I started tracking.

That'd be grand :)

I was told that an update to their back-end broke it; the same issue is affecting other areas like telemetry and the dev tracker. In terms of missing Progress Tracker items, 349 of 494 (about 70%) of them fell off due to this problem.

Nice one, that explains it. (Have seen gaps in the dev tracker too).

Back
Top Bottom