Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Hey everyone! In just a few weeks CIG will go into planning week (aka, planning month). The "week" where CIG throw out all their previous plans and come up with an entirely new set of plans. I'm hoping the new roadmap is in place before then so we get a really transparent view into what is planned and what changes.

I just imagine the developers going down to the basement for an hour every morning to have a good laugh - otherwise it would be pretty hard to stay serious at their workplace.
Wait… this is them being serious?! What a good joke.

I mean, sure, I guess. Given the pace of development, they're probably getting seriously good at Hearts by now.

Had someone mentioned sandwurmie? Worm was not a joke!
View attachment 198346

Meanwhile, devoted backer is throwing money at CI-G hoping that Holy Roberts kick all haters in the sausage:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/k6n92w Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/k6n92w/this_is_justcrazy

I don't think he even realize that the real hater is him.

I mean, many of us bash CI-G and Chris personally for their poor development that fails to match their promises, but most of us, I think, will be glad if SC releases a great game.That guy? He pays CI-G not because he wants SC to succeed, but because he wants other people to suffer. This is just bad.

Additionally the bashing in this place "only goes so far". also. This guy is willing to spend hard cash to force his argument to become true. I m sure he and similar cultists will call it "committment" or "dedication" but you are right, when they call others haters....they are just projecting their own mindset.

I just imagine the developers going down to the basement for an hour every morning to have a good laugh - otherwise it would be pretty hard to stay serious sane at their workplace.

I feel a bit sad for the devs - there are probably a lot of hardworking folks just trying to knock-out a respectable game (as it's going on their CV at the end of the day)... and then in strides Capt Cobblers and his army of blue, er, or maybe green pixels... demading pipelined fidels.

In other news, I watched Tremors again the other day. Does SC have residual boulders in yet? ;-)

That is interesting because most of the problems during the free fly are usually excused with the alleged higher player count and advising that after the free fly things should return to “normal”. But you seem to suggest that out of free fly things are worst?
I didn't have one 30k during the entire freefly...today like I mentioned, I had 5 in the space of a couple of hours. The descent into 30k chaos isn't always the case, but it has been notably worse after the last 2 free fly events, this one and the previous effort. It really is unplayable as you simply don't have time to do anything in the intervals between the servers crashing out. If you're daft enough to try trading...you end up seriously out of pocket, mining...forget it.

:ROFLMAO:

That is all.
“What an embezzle! What an ultramaroon!”
1607189010113.png

I didn't have one 30k during the entire freefly...today like I mentioned, I had 5 in the space of a couple of hours. The descent into 30k chaos isn't always the case, but it has been notably worse after the last 2 free fly events, this one and the previous effort.
A Backer always pays his technical debt.
1607189428711.png

P.S. Always.

A faithful jumps in to explain

Sure, it's a buggy mess, but I love it - and it's only getting better. I remember playing it with an average of 10 FPS and that was considered normal. This is way better.

Frequent server crashes and 20FPS is way better than 10FPS!!!!

Jesus, when you have to bargain yourself down so far, its probably time to reevaluate your life.

It’s not a game yet. Should’ve realised that before you signed on.

But CIGs marketing heavily implies its a playable game with loads of content and a great time will be had by all!

Another faithful

8 years is not that long for large-scale AAA quality game development projects, especially those started from scratch with no prior assets, a new teams and building a fresh business with multiple studios across the world as they go (but this is an entirely different topic). Again, it is you who incorrectly estimated the project here.

Yes, its entirely OPs fault for being misled by CIG! Also the usual excuses.

Common mistake, you said Game. It's an Alpha testing that is building a Game. Not everyone is cut out to do alpha testing. Don't even expect to call this a Game until it moves to beta testing when the features have been developed and much more areas added as well.

Indeed, common mistake thinking SC is a game. Perhaps CIG should stop advertising it as one.

And finally, a realist

Come back next year, but most likely it will be the same.

Someone suggests 5 years more...

its a screenshot sandbox. bit of pretty sightseeing . But thats about all right now. Maybe in 5 years It'll be something. By then its great graphics will just be average. Bit of a vanity project for Chris which were all funding sadly.

And of course someone thinks sooner...

5 is a bit much. I'd guess it would be closer to 2 years. They don't call icache and meshing a "floodgate" for nothing. Once those are completed, implementing the rest of the mechanics will really pick up.

Floodgate? LOL. Someone's been swallowing what CR is offering.

Oh my, and another who is gulping it down...

You do realise Icache, server meshing and Global persistance have been the foundation they have been working towards from the start and was known. There is evidence already that they are working towards Icache, Server meshing and persistance and making progress. We may not get it in a live build by Q2 2021 as it will need a lot of testing, but would not surpise me if they get it working internally, which removes blockers and allows testing of server meshing.

Been working towards from the start? Funny. When they started they had no idea what they needed to deliver on CR's ever expanding list of features.

It’s not a game yet. Should’ve realised that before you signed on.
But CIGs marketing heavily implies its a playable game with loads of content and a great time will be had by all!
Sounds like "It’s a scam. Should’ve realised that before you signed on." This is no faithful, this is a heretic! Ban him with fire!!
1607192024979.png

Someone suggests 5 years more...
Yes, 5 or 9, but not 10 or 20!
1607192096150.png

Please disregard the fact that SC went from "playable game" in 2019 into "early alpha state" in 2020. This is fine.

as far as I m concerned CIG in 2020 is still busy laying the foundation. Its not a game yet and has a lot of stuff missing that needs to come together to make it one. Star Citizen today is pretty much a tech demo same as it was back in 2014....more bloated and bigger yes....but the same tech demo nevertheless

as far as I m concerned CIG in 2020 is still busy laying the foundation. Its not a game yet and has a lot of stuff missing that needs to come together to make it one. Star Citizen today is pretty much a tech demo same as it was back in 2014....more bloated and bigger yes....but the same tech demo nevertheless
Semi-Acceptable game as long as you game it just like devs want. Any deviations and it comes crashing down.

Semi-Acceptable game as long as you game it just like devs want. Any deviations and it comes crashing down.
The trouble is, they don't have any idea how they want us to play it in the first place ;)

At the moment, (when the servers don't crash every half hour) it's all lowest common denominator stuff...fit some guns and go pew something. Everything else is broken...After all...It's an online marketing outlet, not a game.

All in all, Ci¬G remind me a lot of Harley Davidson. A cult like Owners Group who keep banishing me from their exclusive forum (last time for persistent heckling and abuse) plus they've been sending me emails every month since 1998 informing me of the new and vastly overpriced models of metallic tat they're persistently trying to sell me...I haven't been near a Harley shop since I bought my 95th anniversary Springer in 1998...

Last edited:
Maybe those early years when Chris couldn't stop accidentally calling SC a film was an early warning sign…
He's still making that film though, he's certainly not making a game inside that turnip shaped head of his. Sqn 42 will be nowt more than an interactive movie assuming he doesn't refactor it all again after seeing some more future technical debt he wants to shoehorn into his magnum opus freshly stolen from CP2077 next Thursday...I can just see him ringing Keanu Reeves' agent every day to ask Keanu to pop over and shoot some mocap...

"I'm sorry...Chris who?...Aren't you that idiot who tried to swindle Kevin Costner out of his money?"

Last edited:
Seeing as it’s quiet, have some completely unverifiable gossip from Uncle Random Citizen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/k4xpyy/_/gec44ug Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/k4xpyy/comment/gec44ug

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/k4xpyy/_/gecs984 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/k4xpyy/comment/gecs984

They did mention being mates with a Lead Environment Artist on the same day, FWIW.

I don’t feel like I’ve actually noticed a lot of churn in the networking team. (It’s always fronted by that very dour-seeming Brummie guy at any rate).

But we have heard many a tale of high churn generally from more reliable sources in the past. So it doesn’t seem impossible on that front ;)

A bit of a funny thread

One thing that made me laugh a little was this

I ask you to consider this, in a niche and saturated game market

Remember when SC kickstarted, the space game market was really lacking. And here we are, 8 years later, and the game probably has more space games relassed than most space game gamers can handle. I mean, i still want to play NMS at some point... but it just keeps getting kicked down the road.

And SC is still nowhere near release!

I think the OP is being rather optimistic, because most people who are interested in SC during alpha probably already have it. When newbies turn up to to try it out and complain about bugs, they get told alpha isn't for them, to go away. Until SC releases, there is no reason why most space game players will want to play SC.

why wouldn't it, players are just playing a minor role in the sim anyway, wouldn't matter if you have a million or just 10k playing at the same time, as long as the AI does stuff like trading, mining, salvaging, building outposts etc as well

haha... SC, the BDSSE that doesn't actually need players because NPCs will do it all!

The entire basis of your argument on the need to "poach players" is defeated by the fact that Star Citizen has no competition. It's unique in its own right and realm. It's similar to some, but it has no competitor anywhere near the league SC is in.

SC definitely has no competition. No other game is so unplayable.

Top Bottom