Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Sure you can. Just move around a tiny amount and it is no longer focused, sufficiently concentrated, or even generally coherent any more. And that's before we get into matters such as light-speed lag.
Well yes, but you'll still get all that energy that it dumps to you. Maybe not in such intensity, but if said laser is some kind sci-fi stuff it will pump out pretty high amounts of energy.

That chart is interesting for me because of how those techs were not discussed before the previous batch of techs were implemented.

Every year has been the same. When we get this tech, things will really come together. Then they announce new techs, which were never mentioned before. I mean, i could be wrong, but i don't think iCache was ever mentioned prior to 2019.

Each was marketed as being the thing that would enable CIG to really ramp up things.

My expectations are that assuming iCache and server meshing are implemented, (and assume they will actually improve performance and number of players), CIG will soon after add more content that brings performance back down and a new technology will be announced that is required to make things better.

I love Unobtanium’s unofficial charts. Their attempts to plot every wave of the hand into a coherent symphony are great.

'Baby persistence' is in y’all. Truly the steps to 2020 'Static Meshing' are well underway!

Zig when they expect you to Zag?
Well when someone points you with a laser, and assuming that by term "point" one means that it will hit you if trigger is pulled, one really cannot outspeed light in ranges like what are encountered in typical SC or ED battle. It is more about trying to outspeed trigger pull time. (Funnily even with typical firearms from handgun range it takes longer to pull trigger than for a bullet to fly to a target...)

Oh goodie. That's, what? The third or fourth time now?
It's been roadmapped a few times now
gjiV6Fj.png

Wrote some scifi stuff in my younger days. System I used in those stories was little bit smarter. At first weapon fires test beam, it waits for reflection to return to determine range and optical qualities of medium. Then it changes focus accordingly. And fires more powerfull clearing beam, enough to overheat air between like lightning strike, small pause to allow overheated air to expand and create vacuum channel, then comes main beam with full energy load. All of that does not require much of time.

They are specific gameplays loop in prison. Your are not expected to just sit around. When you are in prison you should be mining/using booth or trying to escape. The timer is to bypass those activities if you don't want to do them.

Easy solution:
  • Enable skipping your sentence.
  • Track how many players skip the sentences
  • If 99.99 % of your players skipped the sentence (after the initial hype rush), something is wrong and you should take a look at it, maybe the mining is broken (it is), maybe single escape route is boring (it is) and people abuse knowing there's a single entrance you can camp (they do).

Well when someone points you with a laser, and assuming that by term "point" one means that it will hit you if trigger is pulled, one really cannot outspeed light in ranges like what are encountered in typical SC or ED battle. It is more about trying to outspeed trigger pull time. (Funnily even with typical firearms from handgun range it takes longer to pull trigger than for a bullet to fly to a target...)

That is what I mean, the aim would be prevent them pointing the laser at you.
Saying you cannot evade a laser due to them already having the correct aim and pulled the trigger is like saying you cannot evade a missile when it has already hit you.

Both weapons can be evaded, it is just a matter of it what point the evasion takes place, and what methods are open to you.

That is what I mean, the aim would be prevent them pointing the laser at you.
Saying you cannot evade a laser due to them already having the correct aim and pulled the trigger is like saying you cannot evade a missile when it has already hit you.

Both weapons can be evaded, it is just a matter of it what point the evasion takes place, and what methods are open to you.
Well that kind of evading can be done against any weapon.

Wrote some scifi stuff in my younger days. System I used in those stories was little bit smarter. At first weapon fires test beam, it waits for reflection to return to determine range and optical qualities of medium. Then it changes focus accordingly. And fires more powerfull clearing beam, enough to overheat air between like lightning strike, small pause to allow overheated air to expand and create vacuum channel, then comes main beam with full energy load. All of that does not require much of time.

At last, an interesting post. Because quite frankly, all of this arguing about whether 2000 m/s is a slow railgun compared to 3000+ m/s is a bit meh. YMMV of course <cough cough>.

Allowing players to skip prison sentences would defeat the object of said prison: to help protect whale backers by punishing/disincentivising evil griefers, because this is a live Early Access playable-now game with regular events and real-money transactions, not a test environment.

At last, an interesting post. Because quite frankly, all of this arguing about whether 2000 m/s is a slow railgun compared to 3000+ m/s is a bit meh. YMMV of course <cough cough>.
Thanks. I wondered then what one should need to have in terms of weapon tech to really have laser gun instead of firearm. It would need to be really quite much better than typical firearm to be adopted. Typical firearm is nowadays pretty good in its job.

Back
Top Bottom